• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

MA+ Wallet Project

Another project completed!

The small sized MA+ wallet done in calfskin:

The body of the wallet is created using 2 pairs of equal sized circles (really elegant and genius... same sort of mentality that Amadei used for the accordion bag) with two internal pieces for pockets and separators. I changed the inner pocket flap to an angled one instead of his standard one just to put a little twist on it hehe.

The crease in the angled internal flap was present already on the hide... probably from processing. This leather is lovely lovely stuff. Just wish leather was easier to work with! Just running a needle through two layers takes quite a bit of effort. I bent one needle already [:P]

The project was a somewhat short one in terms of days but it took several several hours to measure everything precisely and cut accurately. Leather is a totally different medium to work with and the stitching of the corners alone took a damn long time!

My girlfriend loves it though and that's all that matters hehe.

I'm going to start the U shaped pants project today. I have to do some sketching and thinking about it before I start.

Cas, I have enough to make another small MA+ wallet if you're interested (I'm going to be working on one for someone else soon too). Just let me know!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: MA+ Wallet Project

You know it!! Count me in. I've been needing a new wallet.

Albert- I swear the finished pictures actually fooled me, it looks exactly the same when it was closed and when open the only distinguishable difference was the angled flap.(Which looks pretty damn cool by the way)
    Excellent job.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• ddohnggo
      • Oct 2006

Re: MA+ Wallet Project

albert, if you happen to source more material, i'd be interested in one as well. if so, let me know what it will cost!
      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Warg
        • Nov 2012

gonna try to do one next WE i think!
        i ll use your pattern! it looks so good man!
        hopefully i ll understand how to fix all of it together :)

Comment

• samlasamla
          • Sep 2011

very cool. what are the dimensions on this thing?

Comment

• Faye
            • Apr 2009

Haha...that’s a coincidence. I recently bought a whole calf hide to cut a long leather strap for a shoulder bag that I made. So I still have lots of leather left and was exactly planning to make a MA+ wallet. (I used your elephant wallet for about 2 years now.)
            As I have never seen one in real before, your pictures will be a big help to me. :) Certainly great work and the leather looks beautiful too.
            Since you’re in Berlin, you should check out some of its leather dealers. I found some pretty big leather stores there. (well…compared to Zurich at least.)

Comment

• dabuliuyo
              • Apr 2012

Nice work! try stapler make a cross

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Wow, surprised to see this thread resurrected after 5+ years.

I've since then moved from Berlin back to the States :)

This was a fun project and far predates Collateral and my personal developments; a way to understand some of Amadei's early (and I think most groundbreaking) innovations and approaches to patterning which he continues to use today with minimal changes.

I no longer have these patterns, but they would be easy to figure out from photos for those interested. In a way, similar to Ann D's feather necklace in the sense that it is simple but really elegant in it's construction and design.
                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• shuit
                  • Apr 2012

Now that this thread is back up, I might as well post the mirror project that I did after losing the double fold wallets a while back

I shorten the compartment between coin pouch and card slot as I think it's easier to pull out the card.

Comment

• phiman
                    • Dec 2011

great work shuit, looks awesome!

Comment

• shuit
                      • Apr 2012

Thanks Phiman! I've actually made a lot more of this wallet in different folding point but it seems like the original way grandma did is the best.

With this in mind, do any sz member know how to harden the soft leather up so I can re-shape/flatten them?

Comment

• Uchiha
                        • Sep 2012

love the black leather alot ! great work ! u designer the pattern cutting by yourself ? or it is the same one with ma?

Comment

• Patroklus
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by shuit View Post
                          Thanks Phiman! I've actually made a lot more of this wallet in different folding point but it seems like the original way grandma did is the best.

With this in mind, do any sz member know how to harden the soft leather up so I can re-shape/flatten them?
                          there's some different chemicals you can get at leatherworking shops that will stiffen it.

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

Maybe you could just rinse it with water if you want to re-shape it, and then put some weight on it when it dries and it should take the desired form better.
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• shuit
                              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Uchiha View Post
                              love the black leather alot ! great work ! u designer the pattern cutting by yourself ? or it is the same one with ma?
                              I lost my double fold wallet so I draw the pattern from my memory. It's almost identical with the regular envelope wallet except the shorter cut at the small accordian slot in between the coin pouch and card slot as you can see in the last photo.

Originally posted by Patroklus View Post
                              there's some different chemicals you can get at leatherworking shops that will stiffen it.
                              Thanks you so much C, I'll make sure to drop by to the leather shop tomorrow and inquire them about it, the original leather grandma use is really thin but retain itself so good I am surprised, I wonder what kind of process he use to achieve it.

Originally posted by lowrey View Post
                              Maybe you could just rinse it with water if you want to re-shape it, and then put some weight on it when it dries and it should take the desired form better.
                              Sound great, I'll give it a try- I ask the leather shop last time and he recommend me hammering it down.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎