X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Re: Ann Demeulemeester SS08

Maybe a dumb question.. but who actually does the styling for the big Paris shows? Is the designer him/herself directly involved typically or does he have a hired stylist do it?

My initial reaction to this collection is that I like it. Upon reading many of your posts and reviewing the collection I have to agree that the layering is a bit excessive for some of the looks, and I agree that some of the red is odd (especially the all red/white look). Although they are similar to past seasons, I particularly like the jackets and some of the tops. the asymmetry and off-kilterness of her clothes have always been so well done.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I also really like the first look you picked, Casius. Alas, not too many brave souls will wear it (not me for sure). I agree, the styling is way too busy and distractive. I think overall it's a bit stagnant, despite the color changes. I think the huge stripes are a miss, and so are those weird patterns. And those DADA tshirts are ghastly. Merz, your Russian Constructivism pictures ain't helpin' [:P]

Of course, like others said, there will be awesome pieces under all this styling, but at this point I can't help but feel the same way dontbecruel is feeling about Yohji these days.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
        • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

I also really like the first look you picked, Casius. Alas, not too many brave souls will wear it (not me for sure). I agree, the styling is way too busy and distractive. I think overall it's a bit stagnant, despite the color changes. I think the huge stripes are a miss, and so are those weird patterns. And those DADA tshirts are ghastly. Merz, your Russian Constructivism pictures ain't helpin' [:P]

Of course, like others said, there will be awesome pieces under all this styling, but at this point I can't help but feel the same way dontbecruel is feeling about Yohji these days.

[/quote]

I completely missed Merz's constructivist post, I just used that exact image on a concept board I was making to accompany the sketches I have to turn in on monday for my fashion class.

edit: on a side note, I can barely tell what those little pins she's got on a few of the jackets there are, but I have a feeling I'm going to want one
        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• macuser3of5
          • Sep 2006

Hmm, I like the red contrast, and the whole set has a very building block formalist approach... Re: the Dada thing, I see very little Duchamp and a lot of Malevich, so that part is a bit lost on me.... The styling is very heavy handed this season, and I think Ann works better with a more streamlined layering approach. It certainly is a different direction, and I think it just needs some refinement, which will come with time...

Comment

• nambla
            • Sep 2006

I actually like this collection. It's not perfect but its not the "typical" ann d look which I like, and I think most of it will grow from my point of view...also it is not easy to make up last season collection because itwas sort of flawless,,. styling could be better, feels a bit too sloppy.

some of the models she've picked up has a real intense look though like this one

Comment

• ddohnggo
              • Oct 2006

[quote user="merz"][/quote]

wow, this picture perfectly sums up this collection. i think the runway looks really suffered from the styling. they are too busy with a bunch of random pieces mish mashed together haphazardly that make it look really messy and half assed. i can see that the look seems to be a little bit victorian with some rock star in there. i think the pieces individually are nice, but the way that they are presented make them look terrible.

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• CHRIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2006

im confused. im notquite sure why, either. maybe it'sthestripes? or the colors? or thegeometric shapes? or the armwarmers? or the waterballoons? i dont know! it's just all so... messy. and unlike last spring, i dont see myself wearing much of this.hopefully (not for the sake of my wallet)it is just thestyling. ill reserve thethe phrase "utter dissapointment"until i see the collection in stores, piece by piece.

i like this look... too bad the pants wouldinevitably drownme:

=(

Comment

• shawn
                  • Apr 2007

I only like their pants. for some tops, seems too "busy" looks..

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                    • Apr 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

[quote user="merz"][/quote]

wow, this picture perfectly sums up this collection. i think the runway looks really suffered from the styling. they are too busy with a bunch of random pieces mish mashed together haphazardly that make it look really messy and half assed. i can see that the look seems to be a little bit victorian with some rock star in there. i think the pieces individually are nice, but the way that they are presented make them look terrible.

[/quote]

Yeah, it really does. All the shapes are weird, its only white, black, grey and red, and I don't understand as much as a single word.

Honestly, this really dissapointed me as well, but I kinda thought you'd guys would love it. But what do you know.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="ddohnggo"]

[/quote]

Your wording just made me think that in the Dada context the styling makes sense.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

I like how all the things we've come to expect from ann are there (feather-light knits, cool vest, cropped pants etc.) and I don't have a problem with a designer doing that. But I agree the styling and overall look of this collection is quite a mess. I can like shots of red (as in cloak SS 07) but here the color doesn't work so well, and I agree the patterns are overwhelming and contribute to the messy look. This is my favorite look, though it could have come from any of her past few collections:

music

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

It's not a bad collection really. It'll probably translate reasonably well into stores piece by piece, but Ann does F/W so much better hehehe although the season with the claw/paint tees and such was a perfect one for S/S.

Even before I saw the second set of photos posted with all the more obvious "dada" tees, it was so distinctly Dada (the lapel pins solidified this). This is both good and bad... to actually be able to translate the concept and general idea/look of Dada into clothing and execute it in such a way as to make it immediately identifiable as such takes talent... at the same time I wish that Ann's influence for this season wasn't so......overt.

Obvious influences for collections always disappoint... it's so much nicer when you can't quite pinpoint what exactly brings about a new collection.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Obvious influences for collections always disappoint... it's so much nicer when you can't quite pinpoint what exactly brings about a new collection.

[/quote]

I agree. That's why I did not like the DADA tees (come on, just block painting would do enough for people to notice, especially coupled with Duchamp interview during the show!).

The look casem posted is absolutely beautiful though. Yes, this will do well in stores, many good individual pieces.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jj.still
                              • Dec 2006

Confusion.

But as it's already said above, some individual pieces are very good.

Comment

• sleazie ninja
                                • Jun 2007

chris can pull off dada...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎