X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seiji
    • Aug 2007

studies orientation

Hi to everyone ! i am new to this forum and I am very pleased to have found an online fashion community.

I don't know many people able to help me IRL so your contribution will be very important for me. So I am french and i am doing studies in economics because after high school i didn't really know what to do and i thank that having some knowledge in business will always be useful. But now, I understood that i am really attracted by the fashion world. I started to be interested in when i was about 16yo but i didn't thank to work in this world at this time. The problem in France is that it s quite difficult when you are young and don't look wealthy to go in a high brand store and try out some clothes so it s difficult to fall in love of clothes. But i have the opportunity to go to Japan because i have relatives there and stores are more opened and also I am able to see the differences between western and japanese designers. For instance I noticed that for great jp designers such as Yohji or Kawakubo Rei clothes are not made to power up your sex appeal which is the point of many italian designers. (it s obvious for you in the forum) I understood that fashion is not only luxury and it s also a communion with culture and history and that is what interest me.

ok so now here is my question. I think that i have to end up what i started so I think I will finish my economics studies.But I am not hurry to start working so I don't know if I have to do other studies in a fashion school after my business school. My point is to have the abilities one day to make my own company of clothing. I speak also japanese so do you think that bunka fukuso gakuin will be a good option? During my next 3 years of study in my business school i will have more free time. I am in Paris and i don't know how to have summer stages for instance for sewing fashion drawing etc... Is L'ecole du Louvre a good option (as did hedi slimane). How can I be prepared to go in a fashion school?

The other possibility will be for me to join directly a group such as Lvmh or Gucci group but that s mean i ll stay a simple businessman forever? It s definitly not my aim.

I have some knowledge about the fashion world but i have got any techniques of drawing and sewing . Nobody at home can help me about this and my friends are not interested in fashion. Thank you for your answers!

ps:sorry for my weird english
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: studies orientation

Hi Seiji,

I don't think many people here work in the fashion industry, so it's hard to say for sure what goes down there. What I've learned is that in many cases it's much more about who you know than what you know. In this light, an economics degree shows that you are an able thinker and that you have higher education. This could potentially land you a job in any respectable fashion company. But, to break into one off the street seems like a very hard thing to do if you don't know anyone. I think fashion is still very much an industry where you don't need a degree to succeed (look at all the Parsons drop-outs who became famous, lol), so I don't think it's necessary. Sometimes starting low (like a salesman in a boutique) could be a gateway to meeting many people in fashion.

Anyway, I guess I am not helping much here, but this is the picture as far as I understand it.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
      • Sep 2006

Hi there, I think knowing Japanese language is a good advantage and you could try to apply for a jobin any western fashion house that sells goods to Japan, as well as inJapanese house that sells to the western market.

I think you could try the luck at fashion weeks, when the houses could need sb to work with Japanese buyers and press. Any connection is good. It coud be a nice experience to help youmake a right decision, to work in a bussiness side or as a designer.

I have no idea about fashion schools, tho. I think you could go to schools and ask them for their profiles, requirements... There is a nice educational forum at the thefashionspot. You might have a look there, too. Good luck:-)

Comment

• seiji
        • Aug 2007

thank you for your answers!

faust: thank you i knew that knowing people in the fashion industry was not an option but necessary to succeed. I talked with a salesman at a Yohji's boutique and after being working there for about 5 years. now, he has the opportunity to go to Paris and he's been choosed to set up the opening of a new shop in Japan. Well, he started low and without any degrees i guess but his knowledge and his interest about fashion are real. So in your opinion Faust, doing an economic degree is interesting only to work in a huge company such as Lvmh. That was what i thought. When i read many designers CV for instance for hedi slimane i see nowhere that he studied sewing or drawing. His mother was a dressmaker maybe it helped him.

nqth: thank you too, you give me some hope that it s possible to make new contacts in fashion industry. But when you say that i could try Paris fashion week, how can I do that. I go there and then I try to find some people who seem to need help in translation? It seems to be difficult but i will try if it s the only solution. Can you give me more precisions?

Well, do you think that doing a fashion school after being graduated from a business school (i ll try to specialize in luxury marketing) is useful? Starting from zero in sewing and drawing is a real handicap? DO you think it s more reasonable to think about working only in fashion business?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• deuxmille
          • Nov 2006

Tu as essayé de te trouver des stages? J'ai plusieurs amis qui font ça à Paris, il faut juste que tu cherches un peu. Sinon, avec ton français, japonais et anglais, c'est certain que tu peux trouver un emploi chez un distributeur ou quelque chose comme ça. Si j'étais toi, je resterais en France par contre, le Japon est vraiment isolé, donc même si tu peux avoir des opportunités là-bas, je crois qu'elles vont être plus limitées. Prend pas mon opinion trop au sérieux, je ne fais que relater mes observations et expérience (ou manque de celles-ci haha). En fait je suis un peu dans une situation similaire à toi...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I agree with deuxmille (as far as Google translation allows me) - Paris is the capital, and your three languages are already a huge plus.

About the economics degree, I was simply referring to the fact that having a higher education degree is always a plus.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
              • Nov 2006

Oups, I should have translated a bit, sorry. I think you got it though, Faust :D

Comment

• seiji
                • Aug 2007

ok, to be more precise i am in a "classe préparatoire hec" in France and i have an equivalence in Licence(3rd year) at la Sorbonne. Talk me about your own case deuxmille (by mp if you want). For the stages i am not actually in a business school but next year i will so what kind of companies do you think I should contact? I now that Japan is appart but japanese fashion is rising especially for select shops such as colette etc... I think i ll follow your idea to stay in France first. I am especially interested in men pret a porter and japanese people constitute an important source of benefits.

i wrote in english to be understood (or try to be :p) by everyone on the forum.

Comment

• Panzer
                  • Aug 2007

Hi Seiji,

Although I agree with Faust about the importance of who you know in the business, I believe that it is critical that you have an understanding of the basic design skills, such as drawing, patternmaking and sewing. You will learn the process of creating a collection with your first internship or job as an assistant. I think that Parsons in Paris offers some summer classes in these fields. I know that there are great schools in Paris and Tokyo, but I am not sure if they also offer summer courses. You should also start looking for an internship as soon as possible.They are sort of a finishing school for designers in they way that they give you an understanding of the complete design process and gives you and opportunity to meet many people in the industry. Schools really don't teach you this. I don't know too many designers in Paris, but if you are interested in spending a few months in NY, I could definitely help you get some interviews.

Comment

• nqth
                    • Sep 2006

Hi Seiji

I think the houses won't need a translater but an assistant to work with the buyers, press... during the fashion week. This is the way you could make people know you at first.

You could find contacts to houses or their PRs at

http://modeaparis.com

or http://modemonline.com

I think the preparation for FW in Sept. and Oct. will start soon, right after the holidaysend.

Comment

• seiji
                      • Aug 2007

[quote user="Panzer"]

Hi Seiji,

Although I agree with Faust about the importance of who you know in the business, I believe that it is critical that you have an understanding of the basic design skills, such as drawing, patternmaking and sewing. You will learn the process of creating a collection with your first internship or job as an assistant. I think that Parsons in Paris offers some summer classes in these fields. I know that there are great schools in Paris and Tokyo, but I am not sure if they also offer summer courses. You should also start looking for an internship as soon as possible.They are sort of a finishing school for designers in they way that they give you an understanding of the complete design process and gives you and opportunity to meet many people in the industry. Schools really don't teach you this. I don't know too many designers in Paris, but if you are interested in spending a few months in NY, I could definitely help you get some interviews.

[/quote]

Hi panzer! Thank you so much if you have registered here to answer to my questions!

I ve been to the parsons website and i founded different courses but i think i need to show a portfolio in all cases. The problem is that i have no bases in drawing and sewing as i said before. i haven't seen the summer classes on their website but i guess it really exists. I think i will contact them for the next summer because i contacted some schools last year and none offers summer courses. I typed on google internship but I don't understand what is the equivalent in the french educational system. If they are finishing schools have I got the ability to join them? For the moment don't have any time next year because i am preparing the exams for different business schools. (it s a typical french educational system which consits in 2 years of hard work which is useless because we mainly study maths... for the selection)so i will finish this second year then when i ll join a business school i ll have a lot of time and i ll try to do a major in luxury management. Thank you very much for your help if i come to NY (maybe 2years later i ve never been to the US =) ).

Comment

• seiji
                        • Aug 2007

[quote user="nqth"]

Hi Seiji

I think the houses won't need a translater but an assistant to work with the buyers, press... during the fashion week. This is the way you could make people know you at first.

You could find contacts to houses or their PRs at

http://modeaparis.com

or http://modemonline.com

I think the preparation for FW in Sept. and Oct. will start soon, right after the holidaysend.

[/quote]

hi nqth! what is a PR? Do you think that my level in english is sufficent to work with them. If it s not translation even if i love fashion i don't really understand how i will be usefull for these people. :D

thank you for the websites! i ll have a look

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

PR = Public Relations.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• therapysessions
                            • Jul 2007

Hi seiji,

I thought I should reply as I have studied fashion and am working on launching my own line, as well as interning with a great designer who's very new (in terms of his own label) Robert Geller, who has been really open and helpful with information and advice.

It is very true, you do not need a degree to succeed. I left Parsons after my junior year and have made a lot of contacts and am well on my way to where I want to be. However, I am not saying my time at Parsons was a waste. It really depends on how much you know and how much you want to learn. I came into fashion with zero knowledge. I did not even understand how most womens garments opened, but I pushed myself and took the time to study and learn beyond what they taught me at school. I bought books (patternmaking, draping, etc) and studied at home. I do not want to sound cocky, but I excelled fairly fast on my own and was one of the top students because I push myself beyond what was expected. It is certainly not impossible to do so without school.

If you do not know anything about construction, I suggest you find a way to learn. Either go to school for it, find a mentor (such as studying under a tailor) or seek an internship. With internships you generally do not do much hands on work, you usually do 'bitch' work (like get coffee, make copies, etc), but always ask questions and importantly you make good contacts.

Larger fashion houses are generally harder and sometimes not a good idea to go to for internships. Mainly because they know so many people want to intern with them, they generally treat you like trash and dispove of you quickly. However it looks good on the resume. I prefer smaller companies because you have more contact with the designer and tend to have more responsibilities. I have only been working with Robert Geller for 2 days and I have literally learned more from him than I did at Narciso Rodruiguez in 6 months.

Do not be afraid to intern if you do not know a lot of things. It's generally expected. Just show you have a good interest in learning and most importantly that you are nice. I see it too much in fashion with new kids trying to break in. They have a very cliche image of a fashion diva and become very dramatic, nobody wants to work with people like that. When you do get an internship, do not be afraid to ask questions. Most designers went through the same things you did so they are usually understanding and open to teaching others.

I have to say your path really depends on your ultimate goals. Do you want to have your own line? Do you want to work under someone? Knowing japanese is certainly a strong plus, especially since many designers get things manufactured in japan. you can certainly intern for a designer that does so (robert geller's line is made entirely in japan), and make a lot of amazing connections in terms of factories and fabric mills.

I would like to hear what you are more interested in and I can give you some advice. Also, you might want to read my blog (in my signature), I usually write about my experience in fashion and starting my own line.

Comment

• seiji
                              • Aug 2007

thank you therapy to have told about your experience!

First, I had a look to Robert Geller's line (i didn't know him) but it's really the style which interests me. It's classic ( a bit Bon chic bon genre) and also avant-garde. If the pics were bigger it will be great. Correct me if i am mistaken but i think it's a bit similar to Nom de Guerre but with more extravagance which is interesting. If you still work for him I think you should sell these clothes in Japan. I don't know what is the price range but japanese people are ready to pay the price for good quality stuffs. You can send some pics about the collections to some japanese magazines such as popeye or men's nonno if they are interested. They do some reports every month in europe and in the US. (It's only an advice maybe the clothes are already sold in Japan, i am only refering to the website :) )

Ok , so now I 'll talk about me with more precisions. Next year, i will attend a business school in France. The french education system is special because you have to do a preparatory school during 2 years, then pass an exam and you will attend a business school of your level. In september I will be in second year of preparation. I started this because I didn't know very well what I wanted to do after high school and because i thank business is always usefull,i choosed this path. So i am still in a sort of high school with a lot of homework lol... But when I ll finish this i ll have a lot of time to do what i want and i ll dispose of a rest year. I think I ll use this year to know more about the fashion world. The aim of business schools is to form people able to work as a marketing manager in huge companies such as LVMH or Gucci group and it s definitly not my aim. I want a job which combines creativity and my management skills. So that's why i am seeking to learn how to sew and draw. (if you can recommand me some books) i have also a sewing machine. A lot of people say me that it s no use learning this because you can pay somebody who does this if you start you own line but i can't agree. I think the communication with a designer can't be effective if i don't know anything about his work. I don't know today very well what i am interest in because i never worked for any fashion houses. But one day my dream is to start my own linr (of course after a long time of experience)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎