Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Thread: Gift suggestions

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Too bad I hardly have people in my life who read.
    you're joking, right? There's a special someone in my life who doesn't read...he buys plenty of books but I'm the one that reads them

    anyway, a great gift idea I think would some A.F. Vandevorst lingerie, or some of their books are also really quite interesting, dealing with things the wife might find interesting...

    I love getting fashion gifts but so rarely does someone else know exactly what I want, or what size to get...why not just spoil the girl and get her a gift certificate for a really good massage?

  2. #22

    Default

    I agree with books and massages! I like getting things that I wouldn't normally get myself, like semi-pricey fashion books. In the past my boyfriend and I have just gone on vacation during/after x-mas and called that our gift to eachother.

  3. #23

    Default

    I somehow still like the idea of the DH You & Me Bracelet... Although it's kind of kitschy.

    And although it's not my significant other, here is what I got my mom for christmas: a hand-made porcelain vase.. I just adore the simplicity yet the modernity. The design is adopted from some era I forgot long ago. Nevertheless I find the design so super-timeless... Well... blablabla
    Last edited by MoFiya; 12-16-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    I have dreams of orca whales and owls
    But I wake up in fear

    BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

  4. #24
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,825

    Default

    A rather sexist gift, Mona. What would you say if he got you a set of cooking pots?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  5. #25

    Default

    that's why i don;t buy my wife shoes. how will she remain barefoot if I do?

    purchased more gifts today:

    gift card to craft for my partner, william sonoma hot chocolate for the doormen and porter. nothing exciting, but almost done at least.

  6. #26
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,825

    Default

    All right, all right, I wanted to see how you'd react ;-)

    I have to say, I find these multi-tools rather worthless in terms of function, mostly because they have an annoying tendency to fold back in during use. Maybe because I have a cheapo one that I got for free when a long time ago when my company was bought by another company and they wanted to show us that they were the good guys, before they would screw us.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  7. #27
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,825

    Default

    On a side note, I find it incredibly hard to shop for gifts for extended family. It's hard to buy anything worthwhile (except books, but nobody reads) under $20, except toys for kids. In that respect I must be the easiest person - I just broadcast my Amazon wish-list.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  8. #28
    Heirloom
    Guest

    Default

    I try not to buy christmas gifts or birthday presents, but sometime you just have to to make sure it stays mutual. I buy things when they pop up and i come to think of a person. Mostly the idea of what to give pops up before i find the reason to give it to them. I don't like shopping from wish lists. It defeats the whole purpose of making it a happy surprise. I want gifts to be gifts, not orders.

  9. #29
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,825

    Default

    While I understand that, Heirloom, an indispensable attribute of a present is its appeal to the one you gift. I HATE giving and getting useless junk - it is incredibly wasteful. And since I usually have a dozen books or so in my wishlist, the element of surprise is always there. Everyone who knows me knows that I am incredibly picky, so my family pretty much gives up and gives me cash for my birthday, which I find to be the most fitting and therefore satisfying present, because it allows me to buy what I want. It's even better when I combine money from several relatives and buy something nice and they know they all contributed to this one thing (which in a way reflects the essence of family).
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  10. #30

  11. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    A rather sexist gift, Mona. What would you say if he got you a set of cooking pots?
    Quote Originally Posted by MonaDahl View Post
    He wanted one. If he got me cooking pots I would say WTF have you even met me?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTBPdVpdMc

    Quote Originally Posted by merkuri View Post
    that's why i don;t buy my wife shoes. how will she remain barefoot if I do?
    it's bad luck to give shoes as a gift...
    it's like an invitation for them to leave you..

  12. #32

    Default

    I totally agree with this. I would rather get nothing than something I will not use and I have told my family this. It is wasteful to give a gift just to give one and having to pretend to enjoy an unwanted gift is uncomfortable and mutually unfulfilling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    While I understand that, Heirloom, an indispensable attribute of a present is its appeal to the one you gift. I HATE giving and getting useless junk - it is incredibly wasteful. And since I usually have a dozen books or so in my wishlist, the element of surprise is always there. Everyone who knows me knows that I am incredibly picky, so my family pretty much gives up and gives me cash for my birthday, which I find to be the most fitting and therefore satisfying present, because it allows me to buy what I want. It's even better when I combine money from several relatives and buy something nice and they know they all contributed to this one thing (which in a way reflects the essence of family).

  13. #33

    Default

    wow, you guys are so utilitarian about this...
    i never think of gifting in this practical/productive sense at all.

    i say we have an all out sz potlatch, who's with me?
    AKA?
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

  14. #34

    Default

    i also think giving to a charity that reflects the persons interest's is another nice idea. after all, if the person doesnt "need" anything why not spread the wealth in a way that will make a small difference?

  15. #35

    Default

    This last suggestion reminds me of George Costanza's human fund (yes I am a Seinfeld geek)

    Is a potluck the same as a secret santa ?

  16. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by galia View Post

    Is a potluck the same as a secret santa ?
    not potluck,
    potlatch: Literally, ‘giving’. An extravagant festival held by the Indian tribes of the northern Pacific coast, especially the Haida, the Nootka, and the Kwakiutl. The ceremonial destruction or giving away of possessions by chiefs and leading warriors establishes superiority in social or political status, or permits the assumption of inherited rights. One chief might ‘shame’ another by destroying valuable pots, killing slaves, and burning down houses. If the other chief failed either to give away or to destroy more things, then he would lose public esteem. According to legend, the first potlatch was concerned with the exchange of feathers, long regarded as sacred objects by the North American Indians.

    see also Bataille on the notion of [non-productive] expenditure.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

  17. #37

    Default

    Yes! I was hoping there was a gift thread already up and the last post deals with books! Double Yessssssss!
    Anyway, my bro is an english major/professor, and I'm looking to get him a nice book. My only criteria is that it is a great read, fiction, and has great packaging/presentation. I don't like to give books that aren't designed well. I'm not talking limited edition Taschen, but something nice. Any suggestions? thanks.

  18. #38

    Default

    I'm not sure I'm commited enough to this place to burn my own appartment in the name of a native american festival, but if you have a practical suggestion as to how this can be acheived in a non-destructive way, I'm in

  19. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    not potluck,
    potlatch: Literally, ‘giving’. An extravagant festival held by the Indian tribes of the northern Pacific coast, especially the Haida, the Nootka, and the Kwakiutl. The ceremonial destruction or giving away of possessions by chiefs and leading warriors establishes superiority in social or political status, or permits the assumption of inherited rights. One chief might ‘shame’ another by destroying valuable pots, killing slaves, and burning down houses. If the other chief failed either to give away or to destroy more things, then he would lose public esteem. According to legend, the first potlatch was concerned with the exchange of feathers, long regarded as sacred objects by the North American Indians.

    see also Bataille on the notion of [non-productive] expenditure.
    so sz chiefs would give away their ann d. feather necklaces i guess? cute...

  20. #40

    Default

    Wow, that is cool. Thanks Mona, and love Nabokov. That is a great design! Might get one for myself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •