X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • endersgame
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
    A rather sexist gift, Mona. What would you say if he got you a set of cooking pots?
    Originally posted by MonaDahl
    He wanted one. If he got me cooking pots I would say WTF have you even met me?

Originally posted by merkuri View Post
    that's why i don;t buy my wife shoes. how will she remain barefoot if I do?
    it's bad luck to give shoes as a gift...
    it's like an invitation for them to leave you..

Comment

• Marko
      • Jul 2009

I totally agree with this. I would rather get nothing than something I will not use and I have told my family this. It is wasteful to give a gift just to give one and having to pretend to enjoy an unwanted gift is uncomfortable and mutually unfulfilling.
      Originally posted by Faust View Post
      While I understand that, Heirloom, an indispensable attribute of a present is its appeal to the one you gift. I HATE giving and getting useless junk - it is incredibly wasteful. And since I usually have a dozen books or so in my wishlist, the element of surprise is always there. Everyone who knows me knows that I am incredibly picky, so my family pretty much gives up and gives me cash for my birthday, which I find to be the most fitting and therefore satisfying present, because it allows me to buy what I want. It's even better when I combine money from several relatives and buy something nice and they know they all contributed to this one thing (which in a way reflects the essence of family).

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

wow, you guys are so utilitarian about this...
        i never think of gifting in this practical/productive sense at all.

i say we have an all out sz potlatch, who's with me?
        AKA?
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• rider
          eyes of the world
          • Jun 2009

i also think giving to a charity that reflects the persons interest's is another nice idea. after all, if the person doesnt "need" anything why not spread the wealth in a way that will make a small difference?

Comment

• galia
            • Jun 2009

This last suggestion reminds me of George Costanza's human fund (yes I am a Seinfeld geek)

Is a potluck the same as a secret santa ?

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by galia View Post

Is a potluck the same as a secret santa ?
              not potluck,
              potlatch: Literally, ‘giving’. An extravagant festival held by the Indian tribes of the northern Pacific coast, especially the Haida, the Nootka, and the Kwakiutl. The ceremonial destruction or giving away of possessions by chiefs and leading warriors establishes superiority in social or political status, or permits the assumption of inherited rights. One chief might ‘shame’ another by destroying valuable pots, killing slaves, and burning down houses. If the other chief failed either to give away or to destroy more things, then he would lose public esteem. According to legend, the first potlatch was concerned with the exchange of feathers, long regarded as sacred objects by the North American Indians.

see also Bataille on the notion of [non-productive] expenditure.
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laughed
                • Jul 2009

Yes! I was hoping there was a gift thread already up and the last post deals with books! Double Yessssssss!
                Anyway, my bro is an english major/professor, and I'm looking to get him a nice book. My only criteria is that it is a great read, fiction, and has great packaging/presentation. I don't like to give books that aren't designed well. I'm not talking limited edition Taschen, but something nice. Any suggestions? thanks.

Comment

• galia
                  • Jun 2009

I'm not sure I'm commited enough to this place to burn my own appartment in the name of a native american festival, but if you have a practical suggestion as to how this can be acheived in a non-destructive way, I'm in

Comment

• rider
                    eyes of the world
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by laika View Post
                    not potluck,
                    potlatch: Literally, ‘giving’. An extravagant festival held by the Indian tribes of the northern Pacific coast, especially the Haida, the Nootka, and the Kwakiutl. The ceremonial destruction or giving away of possessions by chiefs and leading warriors establishes superiority in social or political status, or permits the assumption of inherited rights. One chief might ‘shame’ another by destroying valuable pots, killing slaves, and burning down houses. If the other chief failed either to give away or to destroy more things, then he would lose public esteem. According to legend, the first potlatch was concerned with the exchange of feathers, long regarded as sacred objects by the North American Indians.

so sz chiefs would give away their ann d. feather necklaces i guess? cute...

Comment

• laughed
                      • Jul 2009

Wow, that is cool. Thanks Mona, and love Nabokov. That is a great design! Might get one for myself.

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by laughed View Post
                        Yes! I was hoping there was a gift thread already up and the last post deals with books! Double Yessssssss!
                        Anyway, my bro is an english major/professor, and I'm looking to get him a nice book. My only criteria is that it is a great read, fiction, and has great packaging/presentation. I don't like to give books that aren't designed well. I'm not talking limited edition Taschen, but something nice. Any suggestions? thanks.
                        For a simple great read with an aesthetically pleasing cover, but no special presentation, the Burgin translation of The Master and Margarita is fantastic. I'm afraid you would have to provide your own packaging though.
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by rider View Post
                          so sz chiefs would give away their ann d. feather necklaces i guess? cute...
                          and burn their CCP.

galia, there is no way to do it without maximum sacrifice, i'm afraid,
                          potlatch is a ritual of competitive destruction; it emphasizes loss--in opposition to acquisition--as a positive property.

no one ever likes my ideas, oh well.

Comment

• galia
                            • Jun 2009

yeah I'm not sure I can get onboard this thing. my landlord would certainly disapprove

Comment

• laughed
                              • Jul 2009

ah theetruscan, thanks...these sound like great gifts for me! as far as novels go, the russian novelists are by far my favorite...
                              yes, it's glad to see they went the extra-mile with the Nabokov.
                              Looks great. I can't believe how difficult it is to find innovative book design. I can only turn up great book covers in google search, nothing really focused on packaging or design beyond the cover itself, beyond the books focused on art and photo that is.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                                not potluck,

You need to stay away from Lewis Hyde for a while.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎