• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CHRIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2006

Re: Ann Demeulemeester Womens S/S 08 - Paris

from a [thin] buyers perspective, im excited by the fact that a majority of these pieces are just slimmer versions of her menswear. excluding the skirts, of course!

maybe its the lack of overstyling, buti actually think this looks even more fantastic on a woman.

Comment

• jevna
      • Aug 2007

I could see Caroline Trentini and Tanya D in the pics posted by Faust. I didn't know that Ann uses also famous models for her shows.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"]I had picked out four images to comment on before reading the thread and they were the exact four Laika posted.

I don't think this is an incredibly strong collection, but so far aside from Yohji's (my favorite so far) it's the best I've seen from Paris yet. The womenswear really took some of the ideas she was toying with for the "dada" menswear and made it stick. I think one of the reasons that this collection doesn't seem as strong to me is that it seems like the themes / inspiration are either too obvious or too far removed from her usual work. More often than not, her older collections had strong roots in her interests but never strayed so close as to be a "punk" collection or a "mod" collection in general, while this to me seems to be the "1920s" collection and the menswear the "dada" collection, etc... The strongest four to me are the best examples of Ann being Ann with elements of the inspiration perhaps leaking into the work, as opposed to the other way around. It's a subtle difference, but that's what I saw in them.

The introduction of striping into the mix is an interesting visual play, but it doesn't quite do it for me like a really strong, simple Ann look in black / her white. If anything, they pull the eye away from how strong the play on proportion, layering and texture is in the best of looks. The best use of stripes to me is on the most subtle pieces.

It's too late and I'm talking too much.

[/quote]

Right on, right on - you captured it exactly. That's the difference between a designer (Ann) and a stylist (Number (N)ine).

I am still not impressed with this, although it looks better against a drop of mostly disappointing Paris collections thus far. Aside from the long jackets, there isn't much going on. What I do love is her incredibly vivid black and white - they make these color photos look black and white, which is a feat!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nqth
          • Sep 2006

I thought it was quite simpleand good, sexy collection, bc ofthe styling, perhaps. But I have heard from a buyerwho isnot very fond of thefirst part of it, and the white.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎