• Dec 2006

Re: FOOD!

Give me a pastrami sandwhich at Katz with some pickles and I'm set! [75]
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• DHC
      • Jul 2007

"I think it's an experience that will never leave me, and was well worth it!" - Avanster</p>

That's what I love about fine dining. It can leave a lifelong impression. And what a night of "culinary indulgence" in-fucking-deed. Thanks for posting all the great pictures. </p>

I think that Albert made a good point. I don't know if anyone was privileged enough to share in that meal with you, but the memory of dining with loved ones makes the experience that much greater. The value of reminiscing and recounting the details of such events with people significant in my life trumps owning a pair of shoes. Pragmatically speaking I can see how the ephemeral nature of a meal can be seen as an extreme luxury, but with great company it becomes so much more. The memories are definitely worthy "reread" chapters in the volume of life. I realize it may seem a bit pathetic, but nonetheless true for me and I've lived a pretty eventful life. Go figure. *shrugs*
      </p>

And hey Cas, a good hot pastrami sandwich with some corned beef in the mix and I'm golden. Reubens are a food of the gods!
      </p>
      Originally posted by Faust
      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Johnny
        • Sep 2006

Im pretty convinced that the company and the occassion are more important than the food in terms of whether you have a transcendant experience or whatever. Most people will splash out when there is a particular occassion to justify it, a celebration of some sort, and in those cases the food has a head start.What you remember is not only the food but why you were there, who you were there with. Having said that I've never been to a Michelin starred place or really anything that expensive (most I've paid is probably ÂŁ50-60 a head, and then only once or twice), so maybe I don't know. I had a ÂŁ3 steak pie with brown sauce and a bottle of beer last night and it was bloody brilliant. (Must go to gym today though)</P>

Can't believe that DBC said that you can't get edible cheap food in Paris! I have never dined expensively in Paris and almost always had great food. London, I agree, you really have to look hard and be lucky. I've only been to NYC once and I had pretty good food there, although nothing amazing. </P>

I also have to say, rather cliched as it may be,that I find something vulgar in expensive food, 8 course meals and such, when there are so many people who don't have very much of it all....</P>

Comment

• ddohnggo
          • Oct 2006

that's only part of the equation, in my opinion. you won't enjoy a great meal with shitty company and you won't enjoy a shitty meal with great company, it'll dampen the mood. it all goes hand in hand. i'm not going to lie and say that i remembered the exact taste of every dish that i had at per se. however, i do remember that it was an incredible experience to eat such a diverse range of food with some of the best quality i've ever tasted. it was even better that i was able to share it with my girlfriend for our anniversary.
          </p>

justifying price points on food is pointless. it's just like the same argument that's been tossed around about the price points of clothing. some people are willing to pay for it other are not. in that same vein, why would it be vulgar for someone to indulge in a meal and not vulgar for someone to indulge a really expensive piece of clothing? there are many people who don't have the means to purchase clothes yet here on this forum we're talking about the latest in fashion forward and avant garde designers whose clothing are priced out of the range of probably 98% of the world.
          </p>
          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Johnny
            • Sep 2006

Didn't see that comparison with expensive clothes coming at all...... In my opinion, there is a vulgarity to it. Just because something else might also be doesn't change that.</P>
            <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

^ I actually think it's rather fitting that someone with indulgent taste in clothes would have very simple culinary preferences.....brings a bit of balance to life, no?
              </p>

There's a kind of beautiful elegance in wearing Lanvin to eat steak pie and drink beer. [73]
              </p>

On the subject of comparing Euro and American food....I had steak frites at Schiller's Liquor Bar the other night, and while it was certainly very tasty, it wasn't nearly as good as what we had at a *very simple cafe in Paris. </p>

The nachos, on the other hand, were amazing. [:O]</p>
              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

Ha! That's what I mean about Paris. Cheap steak frites there is great! I've been to Schillers too mind....did good egg in the morning. Do they still do the pancakes fora dollar thing?</P>

Honestly the steak pie and beer was so good! [75]I probably wasn't wearing lanvin at the time, but it's a good image ....so...maybe i was, actually. This could be the start of a new thread - "What are you wearing and eating".Only contrasting outfits/dinners count. So either lanvin and steak pieor gap andlobster raviolis with truffle shavings and pumpkin veloute counts!</P>

Comment

• ddohnggo
                  • Oct 2006

oh don't get me wrong, i love eating super cheap food from hole in the wall places all the time. those are always the hidden jewels that i love to seek out. however, indulging in fine dining on occasion shouldn't be considered vulgar, in my view. what it boils down to is personal taste and choice.
                  Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• dontbecruel
                    • Sep 2006

Yeah I probably don't know Paris well enough to give fair comment about that. I guess all I needed to say is that for cheap, greedy people (me) American diner food is god.

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

dbc, next time you and yours are in NYC, you must come by my place--we have a terrific Izakaya, a tapas bar, and a very glutton-friendly diner all just at our corner. [73]
                      </p>

[quote user="Johnny"]</p>

Ha! That's what I mean about Paris. Cheap steak frites there is great! I've been to Schillers too mind....did good egg in the morning. Do they still do the pancakes fora dollar thing?</p>

Honestly the steak pie and beer was so good! [75]I probably wasn't wearing lanvin at the time, but it's a good image ....so...maybe i was, actually. This could be the start of a new thread - "What are you wearing and eating".Only contrasting outfits/dinners count. So either lanvin and steak pieor gap andlobster raviolis with truffle shavings and pumpkin veloute counts!</p>

[/quote]</p>

[74]</p>

I didn't know about the pancakes...will have to check that out. I love the atmosphere at Schiller's--it's so lively and boisterous, but not hectic.
                      </p>

Food in Paris was relatively inexpensive and excellent. Although I must admit, I was downright shocked at how long one can go without eating vegetables...in my mind, potatoes do NOT qualify. [^o)]</p>

We had a great tagine and lovely cheap wine at Chez Omar....I don't remember anyone recommending it before, but we really liked the food there.
                      </p>
                      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• DHC
                        • Jul 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]oh don't get me wrong, i love eating super cheap food from hole in the wall places all the time. those are always the hidden jewels that i love to seek out. however, indulging in fine dining on occasion shouldn't be considered vulgar, in my view. what it boils down to is personal taste and choice.
                        [/quote]</p>

</p>

Exactly! Some of the greatest places to eat are those "hole in the wall" places. Many of which are mom and pop eateries that put out food with love. I definitely consider these good finds jewels. Cheap fare in a humble decor does not necessarily equate to bad by any means. </p>

And as far as food in parts of Europe is concerned. I love the food because the quality is much better there than here. The fast food rationale, with its corn fed cattle and hormone injected poultry for mass production of meats hasn't infected them to the degree with which we embrace. Do they care more about what they put into their bodies? I don't know, But I do know that they are still purists for the most part; for example, the meat of grass fed livestock equates to healthier meat for consumption. For the most part, we have it all wrong here in the States.
                        </p>
                        Originally posted by Faust
                        fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• xeefus
                          • Oct 2007

Wow. People seem to have such nice dinner experiences here.

I can't even think of one really great restaurant here in the town where I live.
                          But on the other hand I don't really eat at luxury restaurants and such... Might be doing that when I'm done studying though, I love food.

The best meal that I've had is Beef Yakiniku at a place called Waldorf where I live.[72]
                          It is basically some shredded beef with soy, apple cider (I don't know if this a standard thing but they have it here), garlic, some sugar, sambal oelek paste -marinade.
                          With rice, sesame seeds, sesame oil, pepper, and squash (I hope this is the right word, some kind of cucumber lookalike) to that.

I really really enjoy it. It's fairly cheap too, I think you can have it with something to drink for somewhere around 20e.

Has anyone here been to Sweden and had a dinner worth remembering?
                          I've heard Café Opera is a good place, never been there though.

Comment

• Johnny
                            • Sep 2006

Ive had Sweedish meatballs at Ikea. They were nice.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]Ive had Sweedish meatballs at Ikea. They were nice.[/quote]</p>

Agreed! Love those.</p>
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                                • Dec 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]Ive had Sweedish meatballs at Ikea. They were nice.[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>They have 99cent breakfast too! </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>...That Mr. Kamprad is a genius.</DIV>
                                "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎