X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fenix
    • Aug 2010

EMP

I was a bit underwhelmed at Blue Ribbon this summer as well. Don't get me wrong, it was good but not at all outstanding.

By far my most pleasant experience at a restaurant this year was my last visit to NYC at Eleven Madison Park. I was a bit hesitant at first because the staff seemed very over-attentive. Numerous staff members checking in at our table in a very short period of time. I understand this comes with the territory but it can also ruin the experience.

To speed things along, this went on for about 10 minutes while making our wine and food selections. EMP then comes out with a series of amuse bouche, the first of which came out in a somewhat traditional dome topped platter. When they removed the lid, it revealed a miniature hamburger, a bit smaller than a slider. Odd to say the least given the restaurant but I dug in. Upon finishing, two staff members made comments about my burger, one mentioning something along the lines of "hope it was better than the one you had at the airport".

I was completely baffled at this point and starting to feel uncomfortable. The Maitre d then made his way towards our table and explained that they monitor twitter for any EMP related material. A day earlier, I had tweeted jokingly to my girlfriend while at the airport burger king, a picture of my burger accompanied by the message "My amuse bouche to Eleven Madison Park tomorrow". Needless to say I completely forgot.

The meal and the burger was wonderful and I think that this is one of the most quirky yet thoughtful things I have seen a restaurant do. They took the time in finding my name in the reservation book and specifically preparing that one special item for only myself and my girlfriend...may not seem like much but made for an extremely memorable evening. I'm curious if any New Yorkers have heard of similar stories.
    Originally posted by hausofblaq
    Grow up.

Comment

• comedyzen
      • May 2009

EMP sounds fancy. Very cool they are wired in. My best meal during my NYC meal was at XI'AN FAMOUS FOODS in the East Village(? I think I was in EV). Ordered the Liang Pi Cold Noodles with a side of Tiger Veg Salad. Buddy of mine took me here and I am craving it now.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Went to a vegan restaurant for the first time in my life and, quite surprisingly, loved it. Highly recommended.

Johnnyfenix, nothing like that in my EMP experience, although that was for lunch. Just a good (not amazing) meal, politely snotty service, and lots of suits and guys in true religion jeans and watches trying to impress their short-skirted dates. Will not go back.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• maldoror
          • Jun 2007

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Johnnyfenix View Post
            The Maitre d then made his way towards our table and explained that they monitor twitter for any EMP related material. A day earlier, I had tweeted jokingly to my girlfriend while at the airport burger king, a picture of my burger accompanied by the message "My amuse bouche to Eleven Madison Park tomorrow". Needless to say I completely forgot.
            This is the creepiest thing ever and completely out of line. If a restaurant did something like that to me, I wouldn't return. Doesn't matter that it's just a joke.
            Originally posted by jogu
            i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• Fenix
              • Aug 2010

Faust, there was still some of that crowd but i suppose it is difficult too find a place where you can completely avoid them.

I've recently been turned on to vegetarian(not 100% they are vegan) at a Thai place in Montreal called Chuch. Shockingly good!

Prof, my description may have been a bit poor. It didn't come across creepy at all. Just that they were trying to surprise us and give us a memorable experience.

Curious if anyone has had the opportunity to dine at Alinea in Chicago? I've been nothing but impressed with everything vie read and seen on Grant Achatz and his book is the most beautiful culinary piece in my collection.
              Grow up.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

There are places like that, indeed. I just don't like stuffy dining. Not good for digestion :-) But I am not a major foodie, so what do I know.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• MoFiya
                  • Sep 2007

Made some Zwiebelkuchen (onion cake) today... Add new wine and wild herbs salad --> German food rocks.
                  I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                  But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    My one experience at the highly hyped Tomoe was even worse.
                    I have yet to have anything but excellent sushi at Sushi Yasuda ( http://www.sushiyasuda.com/home.html ). I know it's hardly new or exciting, but it's just so good.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    Went to a vegan restaurant for the first time in my life and, quite surprisingly, loved it. Highly recommended.
                    In SF, Millenium ( http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/ )can be quite a treat. If I remember it's vegan, but they have cream for coffee if you want it.
                    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• munch
                      • Aug 2008

Chips and Salsa

Comment

• Fenix
                        • Aug 2010

Thought ProfMonnitoff may get a kick out of this.

But the comments that follow confirm that not everyone relishes the diminished privacy of the digital age. One respondent wrote, “This is the creepiest thing ever.”

The author used this thread in her article. Also, spoke with my girlfriend.

Since 1995, Epicurious has been the ultimate food resource for the home cook, with daily kitchen tips, fun cooking videos, and, oh yeah, over 33,000 recipes.
                        Grow up.

Comment

• endersgame
                          • Aug 2009

i have to say the plaza food hall is really good for a quick meal after barneys..

i had a kobe burger and grilled asparagus, she had pappardelle and broccoli rabe. really fresh and clean tasting in a pleasant setting. not too expensive if you stay away from the $30+ dishes and raw bar..

you can sit anywhere and order anything from any of the food stations- cheese, raw bar, wine bar, sushi, grill, ocean grill, dumpling, pizza, etc..

Comment

• Raw
                            • Oct 2009

Went to Maze Restaurant by Gordon Ramsay here in Melbourne tonight and it was excellent. Had probably my new favourite dish. Not sure if you guys are interested but I took pics of the dishes we had with my phone .

Seared yellow fin tuna, white radish, yuzu, enoki mushrooms, black garlic.

Marinated beetroot with goat's curd, cabernet sauvignon vinaigrette, toasted pine nuts.

Pan seared scallops, caramelised kelp, samphire, mussels, Champagne.

Slow cooked octopus with chorizo.

This is the dish I was talking about, simply AMAZING!!! Coral trout, chicken skin, trompette royal, fennel, lemon thyme consommé. The texture of the coral trout was so good and the aroma and flavour provided by the chicken skin wrapped around it was just so so good.

Pan seared baby snapper.

Venison with dark chocolate and red wine reduction. Another one of the highlights for me.

Ox “tongue and cheek”, caper and raisin, carrots, horseradish pomme purée.

Lamb cannon and sweetbreads, tomato chutney, caramelised onion.
                            Last edited by Raw; 10-30-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• Raw
                              • Oct 2009

Sheep's milk yogurt, frozen blackberries, walnut icecream, oat crumble.

Maze "lamington", rosella jam. The top part is not cream but actually a sponge cake.

Hot chocolate fondant, sour cherry ice cream.

Comment

• MoFiya
                                • Sep 2007

Damn, that was the big tasting menu, huh
                                Black garlic is an amazing product. There is a dessert I wanna do with it - basically a milleufeullie with vanilla cream, puff pastry topped with thin slices of black garlic... will do that some day.

For me at the moment I am kind of saturated of the haute cuisine, although there is currently much going on and much to discover. I like the trend towards using more regional (and seasonal) products. I see the days pass when a menu in any better restaurant has to at least contain foie-gras, scallops and some fish from far far away. Of course, one has to blame the consumer for the long stagnation as well (e.g. "I am paying a lot of this and I dont wanna eat sth I can purchase at any local farmer"), but I feel there is more and more an awareness for the quality of dishes with local ingredients, cooked in perfection. Best example for this is René Redzepi's restaurant Noma in DK...

Personally, I am only craving some good japanese food these days. Unfortunately, none of my friends is into that kind of stuff (or they dont know the difference and prefer all-you-can-eat sushi which I hate).
                                I have dreams of orca whales and owls
                                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍