Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kompressorkev
    • Dec 2006

I drink Koyama-en Chigi no Shiro in the morning. I've only tried usu-cha so far, haven't branched out to any thick matcha yet. Lately I've noticed some restaurants incorporating matcha powder as a garnish in their desserts. I wanted to put some on some sorbet, but now i'm hesitant to try it because one time i was smelling the tea and accidentally snorted some matcha powder off the hishaku - it was quite the coughing fit. But i guess there's different styles of matcha powder. Anyone know the difference between matcha used in food and matcha used for drinking tea?

Comment

• jscl
      • Jan 2010

thanks jogu, i'll check cryano out too. i currently have graham elliot, cryano and Moto or L2O on my list of chicago spots. between L2O and Moto, which should i blow my load on?

Also, any recommendations on cheaper dining spots would be great, (like xoco) this is turning out to be an expensive trip on food alone

Originally posted by jogu View Post
      nahhhhhh mang dont eat that shet , i hate deep dish and tbh most everyone i know whos like from here doesnt like it either tho its mad popular with tourists . so much fuckin cheese in that shit no lie but when youre eatin it the cheese kinda just hangs in the back of your froat and causes gagging . nooooooo maam . BUT if you want to try it anyway go to giordanos or however the hale its spelled . theirs isnt bad

this is one a my fave restaurants in chicago :

idk if its on the menu rite now but they have a good ass beef wellington , like the pastry dough on it is perfect

been to alinea ... yawn . nah its ok but lots of the diners there were twatty . food was good tho lol

never been to frontera grill ( rick bayless place ) but most everyone i kno thats gone there has said some very good things bout it
      Last edited by jscl; 05-01-2011, 11:24 PM.
      JUST THE HITS

Comment

• BBSCCP
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by kompressorkev View Post
        Anyone know the difference between matcha used in food and matcha used for drinking tea?
        Actually there are different grades of matcha, the one used for food is the lowest grade and therefore sold accordingly cheap while top tier matchas are sold for € 100+ per 30g.

Only higher grades are used for the koi-cha which is made with a lot of powder and only little water. I personally wouldn´t recommend to drink any matcha under € 25 per 30g...

Comment

• MoFiya
          • Sep 2007

^ although I am no expert but I can second that.
          I once did Matcha icecream with some random matcha and then I tried to make tea out of it and it tasted horrible.
          The Keiko matcha I currently use costs around 25€ / 30g and I really like it. Although, of course, I have no comparison to the first class.
          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• theetruscan
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jscl View Post
            thanks jogu, i'll check cryano out too. i currently have graham elliot, cryano and Moto or L2O on my list of chicago spots. between L2O and Moto, which should i blow my load on?
            Look up a bit for my review of Moto. Short version is that it's completely off the rails as far as I can tell. Nothing we ate tasted very good, most of it was obsessed with being different/neat, but then they clearly lost motivation before they made things good. I will never go back, and would never advise anyone to eat there. For ~$400/person, I expect (at the very fucking least) excellent food. We got so-so food, made to look like things it wasn't, with gimmicky, unappealing presentations, and laborious descriptions. Go to Small bar, get wasted, eat poutine, spend the remaining $350 on a drunken purchase from Gamma Player or something.
            Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• syed
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
              The Keiko matcha I currently use costs around 25€ / 30g and I really like it. Although, of course, I have no comparison to the first class.
              Will see if I can find a European stockist, otherwise guess I will proxy it. On which note, ridiculous name, but this is tempting me
              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• MoFiya
                • Sep 2007

^ In fact, I am from the EU
                Not sure this is an japanese 'brand' (no matter the origin).
                You may want to contact them, as they suggest here

I think the product I have is Macha Premium.

(no I am no affiliate, feel free to support your local tea supplier)
                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• syed
                  • Sep 2010

Ahh, okidoke, thanks for the heads up Will track some down, try it and report back!
                  "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• BBSCCP
                    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
                    I think the product I have is Macha Premium.
                    the ceremonial premium is a great every day matcha! regardless of what brand (keiko, aiya..) just be sure to store it in the fridge!

Comment

• jyeom12
                      • Nov 2009

harney & sons in soho was pretty good for japanese matcha

Comment

• MoFiya
                        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by BBSCCP View Post
                        the ceremonial premium is a great every day matcha! regardless of what brand (keiko, aiya..) just be sure to store it in the fridge!
                        Yeah, I've read about that, too and am doing it.
                        Maybe you can help me regarding the preparation: I am getting "better" as the foam is now getting thicker, but somehow, a little bit of the tea is not resolving, resulting in some small crumbs.

(I am sorry if my english is unclear ... it's really hard describing perceptual phenomena in a foreign language )
                        But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• tobsucht
                          • Feb 2011

^last week i tried some matcha at a local tea house that sells keiko products. in addition to the hot water i received a small pot with cold water.

i was told to pour a little cold water over the matcha first and then i had to "pre-stir" it. in matters of the dissolubility it worked fine for me so you could give it a try.

Comment

• BBSCCP
                            • Feb 2010

^ that´s how I do it.

Comment

• Vanna
                              • May 2008

Has anyone tried the Cambodian food truck that's usually parked near Washington Sq park? It makes me miss my moms cooking but I'm wary about food trucks in general.
                              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• MoFiya
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by tobsucht View Post
                                ^last week i tried some matcha at a local tea house that sells keiko products. in addition to the hot water i received a small pot with cold water.

i was told to pour a little cold water over the matcha first and then i had to "pre-stir" it. in matters of the dissolubility it worked fine for me so you could give it a try.
                                Thanks for the tip, seems to work good.
                                But you are not using the whisk to pre-stir it, do you? A regular spoon?
                                But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍