• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Enric Miralles

i saw philip johnson's glass house in person on friday:</p>

</p>

</p>

it was mind-blowing. the estate has 12 (?) buildings on it with the house as centerpiece. such beautiful land -- "from inside the house, it's all about the trees, and conversely, it's all about the house." there was also a massive art gallery bunker space with huge rolodex like panels for flipping through warhol's, stella's, and rauchenberg's.
    </p>

Comment

• klangspiel
      • Apr 2007

revisiting kiesler for a project
      </p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• sharkweek
        • Apr 2008

did anyone go to the Tadao Ando lecture at UCLA?

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="sharkweek"]did anyone go to the Tadao Ando lecture at UCLA?
          [/quote]</p>

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat [:O]</p>

Damn that would have been a very educational and interesting talk.</p>
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• electric_alyce
            • Mar 2008

</P>

</P>

Love this! It's a water tower converted to an (amazing) house!</P>

</P>

If THAT ain't sexy!!! </P>

More piccies</P>
            Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• sharkweek
              • Apr 2008

[quote user="electric_alyce"]

If THAT ain't sexy!!!</p>

More piccies</p>[/quote]

this is awesome.

I love how the space manages to appear cold and warm and cozy at the same time.

Comment

• Jon
                • Apr 2008

I get the feeling that stumbling home drunk in that place would be both a nightmare and health risk.
                Originally posted by merz
                perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Diego
                  • Aug 2007

"a+a" weekend house in Valle de bravo, Mexico by Diego Villasenor:

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I'd live here.
                    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• swych
                      • May 2008

i'm so glad regionial modernism has finally evolved into something a bit more than accented boxes.

Comment

• swych
                        • May 2008

I'm fairly familiar with Barragan. I find that the original modernist aesthetics are very much concerned with masses and the larger moves. These photos make the house seem more designed at a personal level with more detailing. in fact i find most of the decisions in these photos falling almost into interior design territory.

The evolution comment was linked to the photo with the stairwell and the courtyard. loving the connection between inside and outside at either end of the path upwards.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Loving the revitalization of this thread :)

A couple of weeks ago I attended a talk given by David Adjaye when he visited San Antonio. Always interested to hear the background/inspiration/POV of the architect when you've only seen their work.
                          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• swych
                            • May 2008

wire.artist i wasn't referring to large scale/ small scale buildings in modernism, but rather to the scale of the decisions. As you mentioned Corbu's villas, I'll use one as an example. Villa Savoye was very much concerned with the architectural promenadel, the flow of space from room to room. that is the scale i'm talking about- scuplting at the scale of the room. Even Mies' Barcelona Pavilion is the same- setting up these spaces that are then to be occupied.

One of the lessons in modernism was the crafting of volume, and i do love the work of both masters i've mentioned above. For me, accenting these volumes is the next step. An example of this is Luis Barragan's use of colours to differentiate spaces. More contemporary examples would be Steven Holl or Zumthor who bring in materiality to further enhance a space.

For me, the interest in the stairwell picture not only lies in the rupture at hte bottom and the top. those are the 'bigger' moves that i was talking about that was brought with modernism. its the accents created by teh trellis above that brings it the slits of light and shadow COMBINED with the blurry of exterior/ interior that makes me want to experience that space. Picture one shows the elevation of that stairwell. if you look at the 2nd floor, you'll notice the shadows of the trellis are more pronounced and in focus, resulting in a more intensely manipulated field of light.

now look back at the 5th photo of the rupture and notice the floor there. this shadow and light here is more shaped by the larger frames of the window. if you shift back to the 1st photo, you'll find that if you were to ascend the stairs, the right hand wall is in fact a passageway, meaning that it is much darker.

When I meant larger or smaller moves, it is this i was specifically referring to. The space above and the space below are joined separation. they flow completely unobstructed, maybe it was even meant to be a promenade in a Corbusian manner- this is the larger move. It is the different method that differentiates the space, notably the use of a trellis (which i find very regional, use generally around the tropical belt/ mediterranean?) and a courtyard to play with the connection/ separation of these spaces that interest me. I'd imagine the experience above and below to be very different, yet seemingly they are very transparent to each other.

Comment

• swych
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
                              A couple of weeks ago I attended a talk given by David Adjaye when he visited San Antonio. Always interested to hear the background/inspiration/POV of the architect when you've only seen their work.
                              How was the talk? I need to find a list of architects that talk well about their work. Most stars i've admired have fallen short at the lecture itself. it doesnt depeciate their work imho, but i want to be blown away! anyone been to inspiring lectures by architects?

Comment

• electric_alyce
                                • Mar 2008

I got a small question, I hope someone (Faust?) can help me with. I'm starting to grow an interest in architecture, not as a proffesion, and not on a high level, but does anyone have anywhere I can learn "the basics" of architecture? Online articles, books whatever
                                Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎