Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Do you want to do it yourself, or do you want to bring it to a professional? It can almost definitely be done by a professional in your town, but if you want to do it yourself, I don't have much advice.

Comment

• Macro
      • Apr 2008

please do your research before redyeing a leather yourself... id practice with something less valuable first, or get it done professionally.
      every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage

Comment

• laughed
        • Jul 2009

Well, i was thinking of doing it myself but the leather is old and cracked, etc. It's a vintage leather off eBay, so I guess I should probably just opt for the pro job, as I am not really sure how such an old leather will take the dye. But doing it myself would certainly save me some change.

Comment

• enterthedirt
          • Nov 2008

colibri?

Hey, so did anyone actually end up using colibri? have a black leather jacket with some "rust" stains (intentional) that i want to dye completely black.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I once wrote them, but never got a reply.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

anyone got any ideas how to "patch dye" (or bleach) a particular piece of fabric, without submersing the whole item? I am looking to change the colour of lining to an item but don't want to change the face colour. ta for any help.

Comment

• merkuri
                • Sep 2009

bump with a question.

just talked to a leather place in nyc who said they don;t recommend me dyeing my drkshdw colored leather black because even with clearcoat, the color could ultimately rub off or run.

anyone have any experience to the contrary?

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

EDIT: nevermind - stupid question.
                  here's a funny picture instead

Last edited by cjbreed; 08-07-2010, 04:28 PM.
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    anyone got any ideas how to "patch dye" (or bleach) a particular piece of fabric, without submersing the whole item? I am looking to change the colour of lining to an item but don't want to change the face colour. ta for any help.
                    If you want to change the Colour of the lining in a garment, why not just have the lining removed and the garment relined in the colour you want, instead of attempting to die it?
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• BeauIXI
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      BBQ method: Paint it on, don't marinate.
                      Originally posted by philip nod
                      somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• purplekicks
                        • May 2008

I own a bag from Balenciaga and have dyed it. It was black but fading and the dye (tarrago) worked but definitely made the leather a less soft. All in all it worked fine, it's held up for two years. It generally feels worst for the first week or so; it's kind of like you need to break the leather in all over again. The dye also restores shine to leather. Conditioning the leather may also help after dyeing.

I also dyed a pair of white shoes I own from Balenciaga and the black dye has rubbed off in places. Balenciaga's bags - at least their older bags - were made with leather that had been dyed but not treated afterwards (which is why they are prone to fading). I would imagine this makes the leather better suited to absorb dye. The leather on their shoes is most likely treated because shoes need to be more durable which leads me to believe they are less suited to absorb the dye. I also had the same dyeing issue with a pair of Cesare Paciotti boots. For both shoes it was a good quick fix, but it requires touch ups. I bought both pairs of shoes on sale knowing I would dye them - I won't do it again. It's not worth the trouble.
                        eat shit and die

Comment

• Vahiren
                          • Jan 2009

I'm wondering about dying a leather jacket too. If it's not too cliche, I just love the classic Rick Stooges jacket. I've been picky with the leathers I've seen because I fell in love with the original buttery soft version of it and can't shake the image. I found a milk one while I would love it and wear it, I know I would destroy it living in new york and generally being very rough with clothes.

Would buying it with the intention of dying it black once it got too marked up to kind of "hide the years" be a bad idea? Also, I'm afraid of the toughening of the leather after the dye and leaving bleeds all over the place.

What kind of maintenance goes into a dyed leather jacket, especially once from such a blank canvas to black. Would it be impossible? Grey tie-dye ish black is not what I'm going for.
                          Don't fuck with me fellas, this aint my first time at the rodeo.

Comment

• anatomicut
                            • Jun 2009

dying white color to black color is easy
                            but the leather (skin) will lose original soft feelings
                            and stitch (threads) color can,t be dyed
                            leathers are very delicate fabrics
                            so i don,t recommand it for you

Comment

• ImaPro
                              • Oct 2010

Wondering that too, would the dye bleed and 'dye' everything it gets in contact with/?
                              Originally posted by merz
                              ...which the wealthy attempt to buy taste by way of ballin' outta control & inflating values for everyone.

Comment

• PaintedBlack_7
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ImaPro View Post
                                Wondering that too, would the dye bleed and 'dye' everything it gets in contact with/?
                                if it gets hot, or if there is alot of friction, and slightly over time yes

thats why it is best to get the color you originally want or sell and buy the color you want

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎