X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

Re: The Sartorialist Exhibition in Chelsea

cas said it best. and thats what i'm trying to say.

alec soth is one of the greatest photographers to come out in the last 5 years and his work exists well outside of his blog, and his blog actually is pretty great. you don't need to look very far in his case to find a lot of talent.

to compare him to the sartorialist is extreme as well as comparing his gallery show to a moma retrospective. by activating the extreme example you enable the innocuous one, thus allowing and compensating for the dispersion of mediocrity and yes, it is of the moment, and it is trendy, and it will be forgotten soon enough.

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

[quote user="philip nod"]

cas said it best. and thats what i'm trying to say.

alec soth is one of the greatest photographers to come out in the last 5 years and his work exists well outside of his blog, and his blog actually is pretty great. you don't need to look very far in his case to find a lot of talent.

to compare him to the sartorialist is extreme as well as comparing his gallery show to a moma retrospective. by activating the extreme example you enable the innocuous one, thus allowing and compensating for the dispersion of mediocrity and yes, it is of the moment, and it is trendy, and it will be forgotten soon enough.

[/quote]

I wasn't comparing the Danziger show to a retrospective -- I was making the distinction between the two. Galleries are expected to show less mature artists, which is why I find Scott's show legitimate.

The whole reason I even started making these arguments was because of the way you were judging his photographs -- it seems unfair to me to evaluate the pictures based on external criteria like his comment moderation or the delivery mechanism. The web gives less established photographers a powerful outlet, and discarding their work because they don't have art school credibility seems wrong.

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

I don't think anyone is discrediting Scott as a relatively good photographer but more so the fact that anyone can replicate what he does with a good enough camera and some know how. But to consider this art, I think is a little far fetched.

With that said, I can't deny the fact that Scott found a niche with his blog. The voyeuristic nature of his blog is just what people today are interested in. It directly coinsides with magazines like People and US weekly, except his blog shows normal Joes on the street.
        "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• dontbecruel
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="matthewhk"][quote user="philip nod"]

he has the option to take out the negative comments, so while he leaves one or two in, the rest are gone. but most people just leave nauseatingly positive comments w no insight at all. this is my holden caulfield mentality cluing in, the whole endevour, audience and artist, reeks of phoniness. maybe this is the best way to put it: he found a way to take the street out of the street.

[/quote]

The TFS Effect

[/quote]

To be fair, noone really leaves negative comments in the WAYWT threads here or on TFS. Maybe they should... could spicen things up a little bit!

Comment

• aruva
            • Dec 2007

More painful is the statement that he is selected as one of Time magazine's Top 100 Design influencers!!!!...Like Faust said, it's all about the connections and creating a buzz with some PR..

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...1_archive.html

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="aruva"]

More painful is the statement that he is selected as one of Time magazine's Top 100 Design influencers!!!!...Like Faust said, it's all about the connections and creating a buzz with some PR..

[/quote]

you gotta be kidding me. since when does a commentator - not even a commentator, but a facilitator - becomes an influencer?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

sartorialist hating pretty predictable on here.....

i think he's capable of being influential. he's photographing people that others don't necessarily see, and of a type that others don't necessarily see, so while he's a facilitator in a sense he's also bringing together and presenting images that he createsin some loose form of editorial style. he is concerned with certain recurring themes.they may not be to the taste of some here, but they are to others. i personally enjoy looking at the site, particularlythe photos takenduring the various fashion weeks. i haven't got less interested in it since it got more popular since I think it's pretty much the same as it was tobegin with

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

why is this "hating" predictable, Johnny? And wouldn't you say that "hating" is a bit strong? No one here, I think, questions the utility of the blog in terms of showing stylish people to peripheral voyeurs - people question the special place he's been awarded that is most probably a result of his connections rather than his photographic prowess or taste in dress (lest you forget all the guys in suits). Give me or you a digital SLR and send us to Paris - do you think either of us would get worse results? If not, then what's so special about him?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• aruva
                    • Dec 2007

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="aruva"]

[/quote]

you gotta be kidding me. since when does a commentator - not even a commentator, but a facilitator - becomes an influencer?

[/quote]

It is written in his blog header mast!!!

http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

Comment

• Johnny
                      • Sep 2006

I don't know anything about his connections, or that he has any, so I've only ever looked at the site on its merits, and I like it. I don't follow the comment about guys in suits.It is possible for a guy in a suit to look good............there are thousands who don't, soit's interesting that he looks for those who dress stylishly, with a little flair, or impecably classically. He's a little obsessed withsartorial rules, but, formyself, I'm infavour of a little bit of order when it comes to dressing.

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="matthewhk"][quote user="philip nod"]

he has the option to take out the negative comments, so while he leaves one or two in, the rest are gone. but most people just leave nauseatingly positive comments w no insight at all. this is my holden caulfield mentality cluing in, the whole endevour, audience and artist, reeks of phoniness. maybe this is the best way to put it: he found a way to take the street out of the street.

[/quote]

The TFS Effect

[/quote]

To be fair, noone really leaves negative comments in the WAYWT threads here or on TFS. Maybe they should... could spicen things up a little bit!

[/quote]

It's hard on occasion to tell someone that their several-thousand dollar outfits fit poorly, and I think that the WAYWT thread is sufficiently removed from the real aim of SZ that the possible and inevitable flamewar probably just isn't worth the time, so personally I keep my mouth shut.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="matthewhk"][quote user="philip nod"]

[/quote]

The TFS Effect

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's hard on occasion to tell someone that their several-thousand dollar outfits fit poorly, and I think that the WAYWT thread is sufficiently removed from the real aim of SZ that the possible and inevitable flamewar probably just isn't worth the time, so personally I keep my mouth shut.

[/quote]

Speak on it son. Let's hear it. lol. [75]
                          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"][quote user="matthewhk"][quote user="philip nod"]

[/quote]

The TFS Effect

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sometimes we do make suggestions on what would look better. It doesn't have to be mean, but good constructive advice does happen. I agree with Servo though.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                              • Sep 2006

I was only kidding when I suggested people start dissing each other on here. I was just pointing out that the sartorialist comments were pretty similar to our own.

On the general discussion, I agree completely with Johnny. The blog has its own charm and it hasn't changed much over the couple of years I've been reading it. The stuff about Scott's connections is meaningless to me, it just sounds like envy. And the idea that every amateur photographer with a DSLR can make photos that look like his is just rubbish. I'm not claiming he's a great artist, but he has his own style and the kit he uses is completely irrelevant to that. Boys with a passing interest in photography always make these silly claims about the importance of whatever the latest toy is. The only things you need are an aperture, a shutter and a lens.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

I was only kidding when I suggested people start dissing each other on here. I was just pointing out that the sartorialist comments were pretty similar to our own.

On the general discussion, I agree completely with Johnny. The blog has its own charm and it hasn't changed much over the couple of years I've been reading it. The stuff about Scott's connections is meaningless to me, it just sounds like envy. And the idea that every amateur photographer with a DSLR can make photos that look like his is just rubbish. I'm not claiming he's a great artist, but he has his own style and the kit he uses is completely irrelevant to that. Boys with a passing interest in photography always make these silly claims about the importance of whatever the latest toy is. The only things you need are an aperture, a shutter and a lens.

[/quote]

Call it what you will - envy, jealousy, whatever (every bad artist has claimed that). And, I was talking about Johnny (whose taste I know, because I know him personally) and myself, not "every amateur photographer" (a term photographer in any creative sense doesn't apply to Sartorialist, please, now that is rubbish). I, just like Johnny, am judging this on the basis of meritocracy. In his eyes the blog has enough merit to give Sartorialist a place in a prime Chelsea art gallery, and in my eyes it does not.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎