Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning

Default Re: Cleaning

i would take your advice but my clothes wouldn't be mine in the morning.
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Which hood do you live in? [76]

"Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
    -Bruce Lee

hunters point

Yeah...I would'nt even leave the house if I lived out there! [79]

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
    -Bruce Lee

a tip for those who have garments that stretch or go out of shape easily;

I have a few cotton knits that easily stretch when washing, on some the hem can stretch out making it flair when worn.so after I've washed them I put them in the tumble dryer in a laundry bag for just 5-10 mins on a low temperature. this often helps to re-shape the garment to its original shape. you of course have to be careful not to put them in for too long or at a high temperature as this can shrink them, so check the progress after a few minutes.

I've done this to a couple of wool knits but you have to be extremely careful, because even 5 minutes at the wrong temp can shrink a knit in half, so I wouldn't advice doing it unless you're veryfamiliar with how the garment reacts to heat. cotton tends to be a bit safer but I'd still advice to be careful.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Whew...you're a brave man. I'm not daring enough to even look at a dryer while I'm wearing some of my favored pieces. My method of cleaning is almost identical to Albert's. It has never failed me and I have no fear of undesired consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Okay, so I guess hanging your clothes outdoors won't work for you.

In Java they use 'lerak' fruit (husks, I believe, but am not sure) to wash fine batik, since soap would destroy such fabrics. I'm not sure whether this is the same as what is known as the 'soap nut' , which is used in Nepal and India. The husks are added to water to create a soapy, yet non-soap, solution. Check on the internet or at a local shop selling high quality South or Southeast Asian textiles.

when drying RO sheer tees, do you need to dry them flat or is it alright to hang them?

I'd dry them flat... hanging of such delicate garments while wet could stretch them in ways you don't want and allows them to dry in that form. If you dry flat you can at least pull them into the right shape to ensure it dries that way you know?

It's how I do my RO tees.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

so this bird shit on me on friday, when i was walking around in joy at having received funding, typical pnod steez, everyones like oh its good luck, except that it shit on this LUC reversible cotton knit i had just bought from designersheep that is one of my favs, it shit on the side with the gray lsd effects, and i tried to clean it off w water and it left this water stain. so i hand washed it and used the smallest amount of liquid tide i believe and now theres blue streaks over the front only of the shirt. it actually doesn't look that bad as it fits in w the lsd look. i washed it again in only water and i think it got worse.

help?

edit: i think i didn't fully dissolve the detergent before putting in the shirt....

PNod...I generally hand wash most of my knits because I don't like the smell of drycleaning. I would recommend maybe Woolite next time, probably more gentle. Does the care label say handwash or dryclean? Don't know what to tell you, I think you'll have to live with the results! [70]

-Bruce Lee

[quote user="awlouie"]PNod...I generally hand wash most of my knits because I don't like the smell of drycleaning. I would recommend maybe Woolite next time, probably more gentle. Does the care label say handwash or dryclean? Don't know what to tell you, I think you'll have to live with the results! [70][/quote]

Agree. I've actually had dry cleaning change the colour of some clothes more than hand-washing (which really didn't). Okay, the colour change was subtle, but it was there. I always go for washing by hand if really necessary.

This thread rules. Thanks everyone for the tips! Much help when it comes to RO t's that have the raw hems...when dry cleaning they always seem to fray out...definitly hand washing now
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    snafu, you are such a kunktease.

hell yeah man... I haven't been to the dry cleaners in literally YEARS. I hand wash just about everything. Only my suits go to the dry cleaners. Everything else I just do at home and the iron if need be.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Need to get my CCP rain suit "cleaned": am a bit worried because of the taped seems ... any advise?

Yea, dry cleaning totally ruins clothes. I was just looking closely at some of my older shirts when I used to have them dry cleaned, and the fabric is all shiny on the edges of the collar and cuffs from the iron. I will never dry clean again!

[quote user="Chinorlz"]hell yeah man... I haven't been to the dry cleaners in literally YEARS. I hand wash just about everything. Only my suits go to the dry cleaners. Everything else I just do at home and the iron if need be.
    [/quote]

Yes, I've noticed that as well. By the way, I year ago I found a newspaper article that gave the name of some 'magical' cleaning solution they sell in France specifically for denim. And now I can't find the article anymore. Has anyone heard of this stuff? Even with washing by hand, I can see how much colour flows away in the water when washing dark denim.

How often do you wash your clothes? I must confess that I literarily never wash mine except for my white shirts which I hand wash regularly amd my t-shirts which I wash every 6 months. I almost don't perspire and I air them quite often, so they don't smell. All my knits and pants and stuff like that simply aren't washed unless I spill something on them which happens very rarely. And now we're talking handwashing... Here in Copenhagen the water is incredibly hard, so handwashing is a bitch. You have to use all sorts of special anti-calcium tabs to avoid calcium residues in the clothing, and still it's a problem, so washing is really to be avoided...

Except for spots and marks, I air mine out as well. It is THE best option, but one that may not appeal to all (see elsewhere in this thread). Actually, I do perspire a lot, but I still mostly resort to airing out my clothes overnight --- never in the sun, at least. Still, any tips on where to get the French denim cleanser would be appreciated. I have some dirty denim.

[quote user="JohnFG"]

Need to get my CCP rain suit "cleaned": am a bit worried because of the taped seems ... any advise?

[/quote]

2nd. Yesterday at dinner, a friend dropped a glass of red wine all over my CCP rain jacket, dry cleaner is closed today. Don't know what to do