X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awlouie
    • Sep 2007

Re: Cleaning

PNod...I generally hand wash most of my knits because I don't like the smell of drycleaning. I would recommend maybe Woolite next time, probably more gentle. Does the care label say handwash or dryclean? Don't know what to tell you, I think you'll have to live with the results! [70]
    "Fashions fade, style is eternal." —Yves Saint Laurent

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successfull personality and duplicate it."
    -Bruce Lee

Comment

• orphée
      • Apr 2008

[quote user="awlouie"]PNod...I generally hand wash most of my knits because I don't like the smell of drycleaning. I would recommend maybe Woolite next time, probably more gentle. Does the care label say handwash or dryclean? Don't know what to tell you, I think you'll have to live with the results! [70][/quote]

Agree. I've actually had dry cleaning change the colour of some clothes more than hand-washing (which really didn't). Okay, the colour change was subtle, but it was there. I always go for washing by hand if really necessary.

Comment

• XSKY
        • Jun 2008

This thread rules. Thanks everyone for the tips! Much help when it comes to RO t's that have the raw hems...when dry cleaning they always seem to fray out...definitly hand washing now
        Originally posted by Faust
        snafu, you are such a kunktease.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

hell yeah man... I haven't been to the dry cleaners in literally YEARS. I hand wash just about everything. Only my suits go to the dry cleaners. Everything else I just do at home and the iron if need be.
          www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• JohnFG
            • May 2007

Need to get my CCP rain suit "cleaned": am a bit worried because of the taped seems ... any advise?

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

Yea, dry cleaning totally ruins clothes. I was just looking closely at some of my older shirts when I used to have them dry cleaned, and the fabric is all shiny on the edges of the collar and cuffs from the iron. I will never dry clean again!

[quote user="Chinorlz"]hell yeah man... I haven't been to the dry cleaners in literally YEARS. I hand wash just about everything. Only my suits go to the dry cleaners. Everything else I just do at home and the iron if need be.
              [/quote]

music

Comment

• orphée
                • Apr 2008

Yes, I've noticed that as well. By the way, I year ago I found a newspaper article that gave the name of some 'magical' cleaning solution they sell in France specifically for denim. And now I can't find the article anymore. Has anyone heard of this stuff? Even with washing by hand, I can see how much colour flows away in the water when washing dark denim.

Comment

• HWith
                  • May 2007

How often do you wash your clothes? I must confess that I literarily never wash mine except for my white shirts which I hand wash regularly amd my t-shirts which I wash every 6 months. I almost don't perspire and I air them quite often, so they don't smell. All my knits and pants and stuff like that simply aren't washed unless I spill something on them which happens very rarely. And now we're talking handwashing... Here in Copenhagen the water is incredibly hard, so handwashing is a bitch. You have to use all sorts of special anti-calcium tabs to avoid calcium residues in the clothing, and still it's a problem, so washing is really to be avoided...

Comment

• orphée
                    • Apr 2008

Except for spots and marks, I air mine out as well. It is THE best option, but one that may not appeal to all (see elsewhere in this thread). Actually, I do perspire a lot, but I still mostly resort to airing out my clothes overnight --- never in the sun, at least. Still, any tips on where to get the French denim cleanser would be appreciated. I have some dirty denim.

Comment

• Diego
                      • Aug 2007

[quote user="JohnFG"]

Need to get my CCP rain suit "cleaned": am a bit worried because of the taped seems ... any advise?

[/quote]

2nd. Yesterday at dinner, a friend dropped a glass of red wine all over my CCP rain jacket, dry cleaner is closed today. Don't know what to do

Comment

• JohnFG
                        • May 2007

...just kill him!

JF

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

[quote user="Diego"][quote user="JohnFG"]

[/quote]

2nd. Yesterday at dinner, a friend dropped a glass of red wine all over my CCP rain jacket, dry cleaner is closed today. Don't know what to do

[/quote]

this is why i'm absolutely paranoid at dinner, around waiters, or anyone anywhere near red wine. hope that comes out! they're aint no more rain jackets left, they're extinct. (although there's probably one on the road, hiding.)

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• JohnFG
                            • May 2007

Any idea, if dry cleaning harms the taped seems???

Comment

• Diego
                              • Aug 2007

[quote user="philip nod"][quote user="Diego"][quote user="JohnFG"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

this is why i'm absolutely paranoid at dinner, around waiters, or anyone anywhere near red wine. hope that comes out! they're aint no more rain jackets left, they're extinct. (although there's probably one on the road, hiding.)

[/quote]

Thanks P. I did apply some salt yesterday and just washed it with sparkling water and detergent right now, hope it works :(

Comment

• kira
                                • Mar 2008

you might also try dawn dish liquid. in all of the many years that i work in bars/restaurants this is the one thing that pulled out stains completely, or almost completely depending on the fabric. and it is pretty gentle on fabric. i just put a few drops on the spots and rub it in, then let it sit over night, then rinse it out. it will even take out oil based stains. not sure how it will work since you have done something else already but worth a try perhaps...

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎