• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Welcome!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• JustWilliam
      • Aug 2018

Hi everyone!

I'm William and I'm from the United Kingdom. I'm a shoeaholic and am always looking for tall boots and nice jeans.

I'm interested in brands like Guidi, Rick Owens, Inaisce (Highlander), MA+, Julius 7, Maison Margiela, Officine Creative, Esquivel (Battalion) and Magnanni to name a few.

I stumbled upon StyleZeitgeist recently when I searching anyone selling Guidi boots and instantly thought this is the place for me.

I hope to get to know you guys more!
      Last edited by JustWilliam; 09-11-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Seekie
        • Sep 2018

My name is Seekie... I'm kind of a big deal. Fashion has been intertwined into my genetic makeup the day I was conceived. I am a designer and designer is me.

Comment

• paugom
          • Sep 2018

hello stylezeitgeist,

I am Paula, 21 years old, abroad student major in fashion design

Comment

• carlinb1
            • Oct 2018

Hi everyone, quick intro as a new member, longtime reader of this forum but only recently joined so that I could start posting... late to the party.

My favorite brand is Comme des Garçons (main line, comme comme, tricot, and tao). Also love Margiela, especially vintage Martin days. My hobbies are collecting + scanning old fashion magazines, especially Japanese magazines and my collection of 80s/90s Interview and Paper Magazine.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Welcome! Post some scans of those mags - we'd love that.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• carlinb1
                • Oct 2018

Is there a specific thread for posting vintage scans, or just sorted by designer? I have some really great images that probably don't fit into any one category, old advertisments and articles from mags like Brutus and an-an in Japan and interview/paper in US.
                Most fashion images are going to be CDG focused since that is my fav to find!

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

You can make a new thread here and title it "Old Magazine Scans" or something like that.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DannyDagger
                    • Nov 2018

Hello. I knew about this place since a few years ago but it never really appealed to me at first glance. I started being interested in fashion through reddit streetwear (hear me out before banning me) since I was a self-conscious, depressed, acne-riddled 13/14 year old who was trying to find something on the Internet to make myself feel better.

So I get into basic clothing. Bombers, nice jeans, straying away from graphic tees, while getting inspiration from reddit. It worked and I started feeling less sorry for myself over time, although I 100 percent attribute my recovery from depression to my psychologist. After maybe a year of lurking I simply stopped using it. I look at other fashion forums like KTT (where someone mentioned SZ and I first heard about it) but it really felt like the same uninteresting streetwear stuff. Same thing with Instagram, which I absolutely despise.

This led me to trying to browse on my own, which led me to discover Rei Kawakubo and CDG, who's older collections, especially the mid 80's but specifically Lumps and Bumps, to put it lightly, fascinated me as it showed there was an artistic and incredibly sophisticated side to fashion which I had not seen. Thus I continue learning more about high and avant-garde fashion and it simply captivated me.

I was initially pursuing a career in medicine, but I was now torn between my newfound passion and what I felt like would be the only pathway to a respectable and successful career. This made me depressed and even suicidal at some of my lowest points, but I am glad to say that I was accepted to Polimoda for Fashion Business just around a week ago and my parents have been incredibly supportive. I had considered going into fashion design but a combination of extreme lack of experience and the feeling that I was better suited as an observer, rather than a creator led me to fashion business.

Sorry for the god-awful sob-story, but I believe that I have to talk about it for people to understand my origins into fashion.

Now onto some more interesting and less depressing details about myself! I am 17. My two favourite brands are Comme and Yohji but I can't put my finger on why exactly that is. I wrote a 4,000 word essay on Rei Kawakubo as part of my high school diploma but I think I will look back and hate it and disagree with a lot of the things I stated, as well as what I believed Comme to be at the time. I may consider sharing it here at some point but I would rather wait until I understand fashion better than I currently do. My main resources for learning about fashion are books, archives, and magazines like System, though I am sure this place harbors a goldmine of knowledge.

From what I have seen from a short period of lurking here is a quiet but absolutely vital hub for discussion on fashion. I don't think I am able to contribute much (yet) but I really believe SZ is one of the last places we have for constructive and thoughtful discourse and I will do whatever I can to keep this place alive before I have to go back to godawful and mind-numbing Instagram scrolling.

Sorry for the really long post and any grammatical mistakes.
                    Last edited by DannyDagger; 11-28-2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Welcome, Danny, and thank you for sharing your story - it's brave to put it out in public. I am sure you'll find a supportive community here, even though the forum culture is not what it used to be. You may be making the right decision going into the management side of things - I hate to say it, but it is more pragmatic. Polimoda is a fine school and I know Danilo Venturi, and I think he's doing a fine job taking over from Linda Loppa.

Comme and Yohji are as good of a place to start as any. The collection you are referring to is called Body Meets Dress, Dress Meets Body. Rei is really annoyed that people continue calling it Lumps and Bumps :-) And System magazine SUCKS. They have amazing resources that they totally mismanage. Oh, well, they wouldn't be the first.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DannyDagger
                        • Nov 2018

Thank you for the wonderful response, Faust! I love what I have seen so far from SZ and I hope that one day it returns to what it once was. It's also very reassuring to hear your positive thoughts on Danilo Venturi and Polimoda. I do acknowledge that the management side will be more pragmatic and less conceptual, but I think it is the best choice I have to find my place in the fashion industry and build a long-term career.

As for Body Meets Dress, Dress Meets Body, I knew there were many nicknames for it as well as its official name, but I was totally unaware that Rei hates the name Lumps and Bumps! It's also very sad to hear that System magazine is not esteemed by you. I felt it was great long-format discourse for fashion, so if I may ask, could you elaborate into why you do not like System and what you mean by "mismanaging their resources"?

Also, I noticed that the site is not secured. I do not know much about website security and I know that SZ is just an online discussion forum, but there are many free resources out there such as https://www.sslforfree.com/ and https://letsencrypt.org/ that you may be interested in.
                        Last edited by DannyDagger; 11-29-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Thank you for the security note - I'll pass it along to our developer.

Re: System - they get great subjects and great writers, but what comes it is mediocre at best. I don't exactly know why. I was so excited about the last issue because of how much space they devoted to Undercover, but the talk with Kim Jones was pretty boring, Craig Greene interviewed by none other than Hans Olrich Obrist was dismal, and the interview with Sadie Sink was even more so, along with that horrible shoot by Juergen Teller. I wish Teller would just go away already - total garbage. The sketch by Guy Trebay was lovely, but I wish they'd given him a more interesting assignment, as he's a great talent. Anyway, it was a wonderful reminder why I don't really look, let along buy, other magazines - could've used that $20 for 5 cappuccinos to same effect.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stecro
                            • Jan 2019

Dear All,

I'm Steven, italian, but at the moment I'm located in Asia. Some user maybe already know me as I cooperate with a Italian store. I wish you all a nice starting of 2019.
                            Keep in touch.
                            more info about my small work: www.stevencrosato.com

Comment

• marux
                              • Apr 2013

Hi Everyone!

Marcus here. It's been a pleasure reading SZ during the years, but somehow I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Swedish and work with photography and filmproduction. I'm interested in all things experimental and always want to expand my mind, be it fashion or philosophy. I hope I can contribute to the discussions and community here.

All the best,

Comment

• demifiend
                                • May 2019

hi SZ!

live in the northeast US, i am an ageing newcomer to the world of fashion generally, and i quickly gravitated towards what i'd cheerfully/endearingly call weird fashion in my typical social/professional circles.

i work in an extremely boring and not-terribly-lucrative corner of the banking industry, but my living situation is cheap enough to afford me the opportunity to indulge in interesting clothes from time to time. despite having lived in the region for most of my life, i just made my first trip into NYC proper back in march to see ulver's first-ever US appearance, and stopped into RO, atelier & DSM to light some money on fire the following day. no regrets.

i've always had a strong affinity for weird culture (i was the kid listening to skinny puppy in middle school before online was a thing [and just barely while dwayne was still alive for anyone who might know or care]), but it took me a tremendously long time to really extend that logic to clothing.

i've lurked at SZ for a year or so and it's been a tremendous resource. i reckon i don't have a lot useful to say here; in fashion communities generally, it seems like everyone is a natural and i am decidedly not! but i figured it's worth registering to pop in and say hello and contribute where i can, hopefully without being too much of a bother.

cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎