• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Re: Introduce Yourself

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="soultek"]

I'm 31, from LA, now in NYC. I design consumer and professional audio electronics.

I suppose I'm primarily interested in design which was the beginning of my latest obsession with fashion. I suppose I've always been into dressing myself well, however I've been focusing more on it in the past 5 years or so. In the past year I've become more interested in the designers and what they are saying with their work than the clothes for myself. I am greatly indebted to Faust and the SZ community for the wealth of info presented here. I hope to contribute more as I feel stronger in my knowledge and opinions.

Currently I am a fan of any designer who I feel has a strong voice with their work. I generally evaluate what the designer set out to do and then how well they execute it (whether it be a women's line or men's). Designers that I am impressed with are Altieri, Simons, Demeulemeester, Owens, Slimane, Yamamoto, Kawakubo

[/quote]

That's cool, I didn't know that! I'm into audio gear, on a dilettante level [Y] And thanks for the compliment.

[/quote]

Of course! PM me or start a thread if you wanna talk shop.

Comment

• philip nod
      • Aug 2007

Re: Introduce Yourself or rewrite history whatever comes naturally

this might me a good place to start

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/arts/27soun.html?hp

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• jay
        • Mar 2008

Sorry it took me so long. Just came across tis thread.

I am Jay (obviously) and I live in the burbs near Chicago. My favorite designers are CCP, Rick, Carpe Diem (and ANY designer of) and Cloak. I hope to add anything I can to this great place.

Comment

• cpaik
          • Nov 2007

[quote user="ddohnggo"]hey cpaik, what school do you go to in boston? i went to tufts. also, judging by your last name, i'm assuming your korean as well?
          [/quote]

That I am! My father is from Seoul whereas my mother is from Hong Kong, making me half and half, but somehow whole...

I'm at Hahvahd, which I must say is a bit frustrating in terms of fashion in that no one really appreciates any of this stuff, but I suppose that's a travesty for most of us (which is probably why we have this forum in the first place).

Hey Albert, thanks for the tip off! I've never been to the Closet, but I will now ;)

And Faust and Soultek, are either of you members at Audiogon or Head-Fi? I can only assume so....

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="cpaik"]

[quote user="ddohnggo"]hey cpaik, what school do you go to in boston? i went to tufts. also, judging by your last name, i'm assuming your korean as well?
            [/quote]

That I am! My father is from Seoul whereas my mother is from Hong Kong, making me half and half, but somehow whole...

I'm at Hahvahd, which I must say is a bit frustrating in terms of fashion in that no one really appreciates any of this stuff, but I suppose that's a travesty for most of us (which is probably why we have this forum in the first place).

Hey Albert, thanks for the tip off! I've never been to the Closet, but I will now ;)

And Faust and Soultek, are either of you members at Audiogon or Head-Fi? I can only assume so....

[/quote]

Yeeaaaahhhh CRIMSON!

The big H claimed the last 3 years of my life before med school. Good to see someone repping on SZ hehehe

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cpaik
              • Nov 2007

Yo Albert, what did you do? Where you here for undergrad or post-grad studies before med school? Or here for part of med school?

Comment

• soultek
                • Feb 2007

[quote user="cpaik"]

[/quote]

Although I'm aware of the sites I rarely check them out. The only site I do go to is Prodigy Professional forum (GroupDIY) which is a site that designers gravitate to. I try to limit my internet usage which means only SZ and a couple of music blogs.

Are those sites worth checking out? What are they like?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Post-grad.

I did tissue engineering research there/MGH for the three years between undergrad and med school. Some good times... I do miss The Game. Shit got chaotic in a great great way :)

What year are you? Undergrad yeah? Hit me or Joey up. We gots the downlow on hot shit in Boston/Cambridge.

Middlesex Lounge. Best place in Boston in my opinion :)

you can facebook me too... I think I'm the only Albert Huang under Harvard.... for now!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• cpaik
                    • Nov 2007

Haha awesome, you probably worked in the biolabs then right? On Divinity Ave next to William James Hall and Yenching Auditorium?

I'm a third-year undergrad. Middlesex Lounge eh? I've only really frequented Rumor and Venue, although I will be going to Mantra on April 3rd because one of my friends is spinning there. Unfortunately, Axwell will be spinning at Rumor/Venue......

P.S. Check your facebook

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="soultek"][quote user="cpaik"]

[/quote]

Although I'm aware of the sites I rarely check them out. The only site I do go to is Prodigy Professional forum (GroupDIY) which is a site that designers gravitate to. I try to limit my internet usage which means only SZ and a couple of music blogs.

Are those sites worth checking out? What are they like?

[/quote]

Never been to Head-Fi. Audiogon has a good classifieds section and it mostly about mid-to-high end audio gear.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="cpaik"]

Haha awesome, you probably worked in the biolabs then right? On Divinity Ave next to William James Hall and Yenching Auditorium?

I'm a third-year undergrad. Middlesex Lounge eh? I've only really frequented Rumor and Venue, although I will be going to Mantra on April 3rd because one of my friends is spinning there. Unfortunately, Axwell will be spinning at Rumor/Venue......

P.S. Check your facebook

[/quote]

Hahaaa I'm on it!

Oh man... Rumor and Venu. I remember those days :) I used to be all over that and Mantra (even sent them a copy of a mix I did to try out to DJ there) but after a while, the bigger club scene just got to me.

Aside from Middlesex Lounge (great music, great drinks, great ambiance and great mix of people with no pretention and fair pricing) I used to do the goth club circuit/scene... but unfortunately Man Ray had to shut down haha.

3rd year? I'm sure we have mutual friends... to be discovered as I friend you on el facebooko!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Oh and my lab was based at Mass. General but collaborators were everywhere. I was both on the main campus and over at MIT on the regular...

I'll hit you up when I'm in Boston next... will be around mid-May once this year wraps up.

In the meantime, you gots ta be hitting up Alan Bilzerian!

Comment

• hap
                            • Nov 2006

just for Chinorlz

my name is hap short for happy. well i have been called that ever since i could remember. i am 35 and i am trying to think of a way to describe my job. i run a designer consignment store in auckland new zealand. which mostly makes me a clothing appraiser. sort through a pile of garments ascertain.. the season.. the condition.. the authenticity.. and current market trend for the label.. then talk the owner into a realistic price..

mostly it is reading people rather than clothes.. and labels.. spa tags.. washing instructions.. i get to deal with a much better selection of womens clothes than menswear.. as men will often wear pieces beyond the useful re-sale point.. [the ones that don't generally have other ways of selling them].. i have learnt a whole lot about designer clothes...who constructs well.. what is made to last.. although it hasn't changed what i like to wear.. and as much as it pains me to say it.. i have become a big fan of brioni and escada.. fan is the wrong word..i mean i appreciate the quality..

sometime i get to deal with something special.. today i was looking at a dress from the first tom ford gucci collection.. [pure sex]... a 1992 comme des garcons coat.. [they never knew how to fuse well]...

i also co manage quite a large global shopping forum.. which keeps me busy and entertained.. i do some acting from time to time [this was what i studied].. last thing being a small part as a reporter on a local nightime soap.. have played in bands on and off for over twenty years.. looking at putting together something now..

my biggest hobby is taking pictures of myself.. the stated intention is to show my outfit for the day..but over time this has become my personal diary.. a record of my life [surely a life unrecorded..well is that a life at all?] i inflict this on the world through message boards...i am sure that if these boards didn't exist i would still keep the record for myself.. for posterity.. as soon as the self timer starts to flash on the camera i lose track of what else is happening...a nice little project to complete everyday..

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

^Always a great pleasure to see you posting hap, although I do appreciate the insight into the man behind the diary. [51]
                              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• mortalveneer
                                • Jan 2008

[quote user="laika"]^Always a great pleasure to see you posting hap, although I do appreciate the insight into the man behind the diary. [51][/quote]

Agreed!...It's great to have a little background to the photos I've admired since first seeing them...

I am not who you think I am

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎