Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shifts
    • Jul 2013

Nice, looking forward to seeing you around the board. Welcome!

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by HJS View Post
      71 year old retired Wall Street bond trader. After 38 years wearing the "uniform" (albeit with far more of an Italian sensibility than my peers) I now indulge in Guidis, Harnden, MA, VIridi, Julius, etc. Total reversal of former style. Fortunately still can pull this look off. But truly wonder if I'm not the oldest guy here.
      Haha, seriously?! RESPECT.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HJS View Post
        71 year old retired Wall Street bond trader. After 38 years wearing the "uniform" (albeit with far more of an Italian sensibility than my peers) I now indulge in Guidis, Harnden, MA, VIridi, Julius, etc. Total reversal of former style. Fortunately still can pull this look off. But truly wonder if I'm not the oldest guy here.
        Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Haha, seriously?! RESPECT.
        Seconded with the respect! Beyond awesome, hope to see you on the boards, I'm sure you have a lot to share! Also excited about seeing you on WAYWT!
        Originally posted by Faust
        HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• psydle
          • Feb 2014

greetings

I'm 34 and currently live in Philadelphia. Its kind of like New York of the 70s here only without the promise of ever becoming like the New York of today.

I've been a long time reader but am now trying to join the discussion. I don't work in fashion or anything to warrant being this obsessed so everyone I know is pretty tired of my ranting about fiber content or dye processes. I also appreciate that SZ captures discussion about not only what the design consists of but largely more of what it means on a philosophical level.

I've only been in a position to really elevate my style for the last few years and am still negotiating the bridge between dark streetwear and more subtle handmade goods.

I wear a lot of work by Mr. Horikawa, Mr. Kumagai a bit from Mr. Saberi. In very recent years I've also acquired a number of items from US based designers, Mr. Sees (sad to see his main project ended but looking forward to more concentrated non-seasonal presentations) and Mr. Barrett.

My feet stay wrapped in the stylings of Carol, Simone, or occasionally Rick or Boris (boots not sneakers).

I'd like to thank everyone involved with keeping SZ alive and growing it through the years. While there are other great, broader topic forums out there, SZ has always embodied the aesthetic I feel comfortable in.
          As wormwood and wine. To the Death!

Comment

• jabronicoolword
            • Oct 2014

I suppose I should post here before I start asking you guys for shit (advice, etc.)

I'm 22, out of college in New York, and I've just discovered Style Zeitgeist. First got into fashion/clothing in high school. I was attending an all-boys school and our uniforms were slacks with a button up and tie. Quickly, I noticed that 95% of the students looked like complete dog shit in this uniform, and the 5% who didn't paid attention to fit. This got me into GQ and that stuff, but honestly, wanting to buy clothes at that point was just an outlet for my awkward teenage angst.

Fast forward to around the end of college- my interest in fashion is mild and waning. I'd come across names every so often like "Guidi" and "M.A+" but I'd think "I've never heard of them, so obviously they're not as good as Prada." After a while, Rick started becoming a household name, and eventually I trailed that to SZ. I ordered the first volume of SZ magazine and after flipping through it, I started to feel a zen-like quality towards fashion, as if I wanted my principles with buying and my appreciation of fashion to all come together and make sense. Now I'm trying to limit my closet and just put in a few items I love. And here's a quick run-down of my first thoughts on some designers (I could be wrong):
            • Julius- epitomizes anti-fashion: doesn't care about trends, rejection of conventional beauty, believes clothing is to be worn, loved, and "destroyed".
            • Ann D- romantic, inspired from many sources. I would say that where Julius is very Horikawa-centric (everything centers on his vision), Ann relegates it more to the wearer, if that makes sense. Like, she steps out of her own head a little more and pays more attention to how her clothing will appear on others.
            • LUC- devil in the details. Most allegorical designer I know. I read this interview where Luca says he represented mistakes in garments by using a sewing machine with the wrong thread tension. The only thing I don't like about LUC is that I find his clothing a little too precious. I don't like to baby my clothes.
            • Rick- I think of his stuff as garments first and art second. I definitely think Rick is an artist and I buy his entire mystique and everything, but I can't make heads or tails of the guy and I almost never have any idea what he's trying to accomplish with his shows. But his stuff is just cool.

This might be me deluding myself or just outright pretentious bs, but fashion has made me a better person. I don't work in it and my life doesn't center around it, but it's affected other areas of my life. My degree was in piano performance, and I hope not to sound like a cunt by saying this, but since I've always been reasonably talented, I was able to just float through it without giving it too much effort or thought. But when I see how seriously some of you guys take your clothing- learning about designers, forming your own ideologies (if you can call it that) about fashion, etc.- it encourages me to want to go back and take my music more seriously.

TL;DR: Hi.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Welcome. Nothing wrong about being romantic about fashion. It's way healthier and more fulfilling than being a cynic.

Thank you for the kind words about the magazine, too!
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• YTheLastMan
                • Apr 2014

Brevity is an unexpectedly arduous task.

27 year old (28 in 2 days) fella who works as a digital marketing consultant/manager in good ol' Quebec.
                I wanted to be a writer and ended up here... though I suppose it keeps me veiled in designer shit..for now.

I started looking into 'this whole aesthetic' as a result of Rick. Instead of snorting the stuff, I mainlined it and bought sneakers. That was followed by shirts...and now I'm filling in the outer layers, past the expanses of Mr. Owens.

As something of an information pedant, I did the whole internet research bachata and bought volumes 4-5 of SZ magazine, which I love, and exchanged a whole e-mail with Faust himself.
                I've written articles for a few publications and I have my eyes on getting some sort of piece into volume 6 or 7 - sans Faustian bargain of course.

I have to admit that the negative aspect of 'the SZ', is that I feel like I'm becoming more materialistic.
                When you sock away a fistful of coins with a view to buying the next piece of X in order to complete your 'capsule wardrobe', you start looking at money as a means to end with regards to goods (as opposed to retirement/lifestyle); I'm still trying to manage that.

Has anyone here ever honestly said, 'I'm done, I'm complete' after acquiring the pieces they had listed?

Illuminate a

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Welcome and thanks :-)

Your last question should be asked here and will hopefully lead to a good discussion. I know I have my answer ready.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sanguine
                    • Oct 2014

Hi!

I've been visiting this place for about two years now since I got into fashion and kind of liked it. I never made an account as I wasn't sure what to contribute honestly, but I'd love to partake in discussions about fashion and further develop my sense of style here. I'm 20 years old living in Sweden and work in retail while trying to get into a good uni. And... like TheLastMan it all started with Rick, heh. I thought "that shit looks dope" and then came Boris, Ann D, M.A+, Sruli and so much more. So here we are!

I want to get inspired by the users of this forum and hopefully become a contributor myself since I honestly have nobody in my social circles that share my interest. And y'know, get critique on fits and get better in that department.

I'm terrible at introductions but I do hope I can get along with you all and I look forward to getting to know some of you!
                    Last edited by sanguine; 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• NOHSAD
                      • Nov 2014

Hello, my name's Dashon. I first saw SZ when I was in middle school (07 or 08) when I was looking for info and more pictures about JULIUS_7 (which got me interested in progressive/experimental clothing). Once I was in high school I began to occasionally lurk around the SZ forms to have a better understanding of the clothing that falls underneath said genre. Favorite designers for the time being are Zam Barrett, Tatsuro Horikawa and Masahiko Maruyama, while keeping an eye on Leon lewis to see what he will do for S/S 15.
                      "Instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself"

ShopDDavis.etsy.com

IG: @D.__Dvais

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Welcome, new peeps.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• hausofblaq
                          • Oct 2014

19 year old from Canada here. I discovered SZ a while ago, but just lurked around, the first impressions of SZ were quite intimidating so I never posted.
                          I've always been into the SZ "aesthetic", I've just had a natural attraction to wearing black or neutral tones with more focus on silhouette than anything else. I'm still not really sure what to call that style, but when I discovered SZ, it was and still is the perfect preception of how I want to dress.
                          Being 19, funds are quite low so I've saved up for a few pieces here and there, all second-hand but most of the stuff I wear is just self-tailored pieces from H&M and other fast fashion brands to achieve the silhouette I want.
                          As much as I love this forum, my wallet hates me because every time I see collections on here, it makes me want to take that leap of faith and get another piece for my wardrobe.

Comment

• hornbeck
                            • Oct 2014

34 from Oklahoma. I have a lot of jobs in various different fields but the work I do with technology startups pays the bills. I also paint, take photos, have an iPhone app, had a street-wear company as a teenager, and currently learning dress making. I found SZ through Pinterest and have been enjoying the content and working my way through each of the designer threads. I tend to stay in the shadows until I know what I'm talking about, so you may not hear much from me for a while. Thanks,

- hornbeck

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Welcome, hornbeck.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Halibut
                                • Sep 2014

I'm 27 from Seattle. I'm a cook and a dj. I've been lurking around for a while now just reading content and finding my own aesthetic. I have a deep reverence for traditional craftsmanship and I appreciate subtle details. I'm here to learn.
                                Greetings.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎