• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Welcome!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• apoemofdisplay
      • Nov 2020

Hi Isaac here. I've browsed the forum before, but only recently joined. I've become increasingly interested in fashion journalism as a path forward for my own life, and I'm hoping that I can have discussions with folks here and just learn and engage with this online community!

I've dressed in many different styles but the most significant experience I've had with fashion has been with the work of Yohji Yamamoto. I travelled to Japan in 2017 in part to find his clothing and bring some back with me. It was the first clothing that showed me the power of fashion, and that fashion was interrogating lived human experience just like any other form of art. Wearing Yohji has shown me these little pieces of who I am, and how I'm most comfortable representing myself to the world.

Since then, I've been reordering my wardrobe, mostly with Yohji, and occasional pieces of CDG, Rick Owens, Julius, Dries Van Noten, Undercover, etc. Right now I'm going through a huge wardrobe shift. I'm selling off a lot of clothing and purchasing pieces to replace them. Strangely, I think I'm finding my style again, or refining my style. It was always something I thought I had, but it's shifting right now, and underneath these shifts and this binge purge cycle of my wardrobe, I'm finding something else. The things I want in my life are enhanced by clothing. Some sort of psychic stability and cohesion is proffered. But fashion is still just one piece of my life, and the clothes are showing me that it's time to grow again in other areas of my life left untended.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Love that story - welcome!
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skydoki
          • Nov 2020

Hello all,

My name is Angel Arriaga, I am a Music Producer first, teacher second. Currently in university for Technology Dev. and Management, only reason being to be more of a patron to the designers I love, while also being able to support myself sufficiently. Anyways, I am 22 years old and my pronouns are he/him. I have always been fascinated by the idea of fashion as wearable art. Throughout my younger adolescent years I always used fashion as a form of self-expression, looking up to my Mom for my style direction. Growing up as a boy in a non-metropolitan area in Florida, USA, raised by a single mom from New York City, any article of clothing deviating from typical gender norms often was brought with attention or confusion from my peers. Even a cheap simple long cardigan from H&M got some attention. That was totally fine with me, and I was mostly unbothered as I always knew to be confident. Some benefits of me standing out, along with my niche interests, were that it really narrowed down who my friends were. Often those from the bunch who would gravitate towards me were more expressive, interesting and progressive individuals. In highschool, I went through my phase of faux-streetstyle being churned out by your typical fast fashion conglomerates.

Then I got CDG Play Converse.

Only down hill from there, as those infamous shoes are the gateway drug for many people. That was my first year of college, when I was also self-introduced to Raf Simons, Rick Owens, Yohji Yamamoto, Rei Kawakubo and Martin Margiela. From there I got into typical minimal menswear and "elevated basics": overcoat, white shirt, black/grey trousers, Common Projects look. I would sit at this minimal/street wardrobe for a year or so, getting more quality pieces from Uniqlo, Y-3 Sneakers and then splurged on a a blush pink Lemaire longsleeve (that I still have today). My first introduction to my new fashion direction was a pair of Stone Island Shadow Project Boots from SS17 that I luckily found the only existing second-hand listing of and I absolutely love them to this day. It was end of 2019 start of 2020 where I truly developed my fashion knowledge and personal style. I read more books, magazines and articles about anything fashion, from streetwear to avant-garde. I purchased a perfect condition old CDGH+ 88' Pants at the start of the year and trended towards a mix of minimal/darkwear, wearing mostly black and white with the occasional pop of blush pink.

Today I look up to the work of Yohji Yamamoto, Elena Dawson and Ann Demeulemeester as my main forms of inspiration, mixed with the more minimal silhouettes of Jil Sander and Lemaire. I am currently gravitating towards the more texture focused avant-garde fashion like the works of Isabel Benenato, Carol Christian Powell and Forme D'expression. I joined Style Zeitgeist to further learn and converse about my favorite brands and uncover more information and history of the designers, artisans and tailors I love so dearly with like minded individuals.

I look forward to meeting everyone here and gaining more knowledge!

-Angel

Comment

• 13we2
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by skydoki View Post
            Hello all,
            I look forward to meeting everyone here and gaining more knowledge!

-Angel
            Hi Angel welcome to SZ! Based on your description you sound like a heck of a cool badass and someone who perfectly fits the SZ vibes! How I envy being young liek yourself, and being open to so many possibilities for styles!

Comment

• Monologue
              • May 2020

It makes me very happy to see new people joining here and taking the time and joy to write out why. Forum culture is clearly long dead, but the forum spirit still burns inside a few.

Comment

• Anish
                • Dec 2020

Hey all , I am Anish and I am a newbie to this forum . I am a marketing associate for a online shopping platform known as amogue . I enjoy music and gaming and I stay in india

Comment

• irenedavis
                  • Feb 2021

I am from Miami...I am very interesting to talk about women's fashion.

Comment

• ZackJones
                    • Jun 2020

Originally posted by irenedavis View Post
                    I am from Miami...I am very interesting to talk about women's fashion.
                    Welcome!

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

I can't tell anymore whether it's real people or bots talking among themselves...

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sideshow
                        • Mar 2021

Hello,
                        Sideshow here. Not a bot, just yet. I'm hoping that I can partake in bionic augmentation one day, though, only 22, so there is time!
                        I'm going to continue being a ghost and reading as much as I can. You will see me soon.
                        Goodbye

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Welcome to the desert of the real

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Villain
                            • Oct 2016

Hi. I’m Villain. Been lurking for a long time. Always found enjoyed these fashion communities and I know a few other users from this forum on other platforms. Mostly an avid reader

Comment

• richardalexander
                              • May 2020

Hello all my name is Richard, I joined the forum not too long ago with plans of becoming more involved here rather than lurking around but that never took place instead I would seldom visit but when I did I would spend hours on end digging through the forum. Planning on utilizing the platform more so I thought it best to introduce myself. I live in Brooklyn and work as an assistant pattern maker for an artisanal designer that most of you are likely familiar with. My biggest interest outside of garment making would be heavy music, Ive played the drums from a young age and am involved with the punk and underground music scene here in Brooklyn. I look forward to dialoguing with you all.-Richard

Comment

• chasebassist
                                • Nov 2022

happy to see registration open up, been wanting to be a part of this community for some time. love what's going on here. stay up.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎