• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeOn
    • Jun 2008

Re: Introduce Yourself

hey all,
    I'm 21 student from Lille in France (just here, well located I think). I've got a big interest for the work of Yamamoto, Kawakubo, Owens, Demeulemeester, Simons and Slimane. Oh and my english is f*****g bad, quite laconic.. sorry! I'll make an effort for my next posts [75]

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="LeOn"]hey all,
      I'm 21 student from Lille in France (just here, well located I think). I've got a big interest for the work of Yamamoto, Kawakubo, Owens, Demeulemeester, Simons and Slimane. Oh and my english is f*****g bad, quite laconic.. sorry! I'll make an effort for my next posts [75]
      [/quote]

Welcome Leon!

.... and if you are capable of using the word laconic... your english is just fine my friend :)

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="LeOn"]hey all,
        [/quote]

Welcome. I like that every foreigner that has a good command of English says it sucks. [86]

Albert, funny story about the word "laconic" - the root of the word is adapted into Russian - so when I just came to the US and blurted out "laconic" in my Crooklyn high school, the teacher looked at me in shock, as if he encountered a secret genius [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ironman
          • Apr 2008

hi, my name is Ryan. i'm a 19 year old student, starting my 3rd year of nuclear engineering in september. i do see myself spending the majority of my expected 6 figure income on fashion.. =/

i'd say i'm pretty open-minded in terms of designers, as favourites vary season to season, and i do appreciate some stuff i wouldn't wear. i have consistently enjoyed julius (what i've seen of it), burberry prorsum, lanvin, and dior homme (up to like..f/w '06?). i also tend to not enjoy spring/summer collections as much for some reason

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

[quote user="ironman"]hi, my name is Ryan. i'm a 19 year old student, starting my 3rd year of nuclear engineering in september. i do see myself spending the majority of my expected 6 figure income on fashion.. =/

i'd say i'm pretty open-minded in terms of designers, as favourites vary season to season, and i do appreciate some stuff i wouldn't wear. i have consistently enjoyed julius (what i've seen of it), burberry prorsum, lanvin, and dior homme (up to like..f/w '06?). i also tend to not enjoy spring/summer collections as much for some reason

[/quote]

signature up for grabs

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

aaaahahahahaha

Reality check Tony Stark, you'll graduate and start out making $40-55k. Your 100k+ future is still about a decade away. In school I had tons of friends that talked up their engineering degrees and sorry to say it's just not true. Pretty much the only academic undergraduate degree that is going to pull you in $100k a year at the tender age of 22-23 is going to be i-banking.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ironman
                • Apr 2008

[:(] i don't think it's unreasonable, as there's big money in the energy industry. here in Ontario (Canada) we've just decided to add two more nuclear power plants, and many of the current workers are soon to be retired. besides the main company Ontario Power Generation, there's many other companies like Bruce Power, Areva, Cameco, Suncor, Westinghouse, and other energy companies that have taken in our nuclear engineering graduates.. and i could always go to France (59 power plants?) or China, but i don't know how much they pay lol

the industry is well paid; there's about 8000 people on this list who make over $100k. for comparison, Hydro One employs roughly 5000 and OPG roughly 11000
                The names, positions, salaries and total taxable benefits of public sector employees paid $100,000 or more in a calendar year. Search the 2020 disclosure

as per opening salaries,
                "At Bruce Power, starting salaries range from $90,000 to $120,000 for engineers and $60,000 to $80,000 for draftspersons."

and as for what i personally know, one of my colleague's older brothers who is doing his 4th year this september made about ~$55k ($27/hr?) just on internship this past year, without a completed degree. his dad, (who is on that list, ctrl+f "freeburn") makes ~$130k with no post-secondary education but with 20 years experience in mechanical maintenance. comparitavely, another colleague of mine has a friend who was in college and went to OPG after and he made ~$75k opening salary for the same job

judging by the salary, were the engineers you knew were mechanical and/or electrical?

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

fuck the energy business. fucking rapists.
                  One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

if you're referring to making a 100k+ salary POST graduate degree then sure. Very realistic. With just a BS/BA and fresh out of school you're not making anything close for quite some time as your examples have shown there. Perhaps there was some misunderstanding.

My friends in the engineering dept are biomedical engineers and others are MechE. Georgia Tech, UWash and MIT among them.

Comment

• maldoror
                      • Jun 2007

nuclear engineering is like the poor man's rocket science.

Comment

• soultek
                        • Feb 2007

[quote user="ironman"][:(] i don't think it's unreasonable, as there's big money in the energy industry. here in Ontario (Canada) we've just decided to add two more nuclear power plants, and many of the current workers are soon to be retired. besides the main company Ontario Power Generation, there's many other companies like Bruce Power, Areva, Cameco, Suncor, Westinghouse, and other energy companies that have taken in our nuclear engineering graduates.. and i could always go to France (59 power plants?) or China, but i don't know how much they pay lol

the industry is well paid; there's about 8000 people on this list who make over $100k. for comparison, Hydro One employs roughly 5000 and OPG roughly 11000
                        The names, positions, salaries and total taxable benefits of public sector employees paid $100,000 or more in a calendar year. Search the 2020 disclosure

as per opening salaries,
                        "At Bruce Power, starting salaries range from $90,000 to $120,000 for engineers and $60,000 to $80,000 for draftspersons."

and as for what i personally know, one of my colleague's older brothers who is doing his 4th year this september made about ~$55k ($27/hr?) just on internship this past year, without a completed degree. his dad, (who is on that list, ctrl+f "freeburn") makes ~$130k with no post-secondary education but with 20 years experience in mechanical maintenance. comparitavely, another colleague of mine has a friend who was in college and went to OPG after and he made ~$75k opening salary for the same job

judging by the salary, were the engineers you knew were mechanical and/or electrical?
                        [/quote]

Dude, I'm an electrical. Donno the nuclear industry but it can't be that different. I'd say best you'll probably do is 75k-80k straight outta school. This depends on the industry and city you work in. Expect a 2-5% 'inflation compensation' raise for the rest of your life--of course this all depends on how much REAL engineering your doing. Only way to make money in engineering is to sell out (ie become a manager or go into sales), get more schooling (at some point your earning will plateau), or start your own firm.

Chinorlz is spot on. finance is the only thing that will get you 6 figures with a BA/BS

Comment

• ironman
                          • Apr 2008

chinorlz: well i do plan on getting my master's right away, as it's only 1 extra year for me instead of 2. my examples aren't that great, since the article stating 90k starting is up for speculation. the only one worth noting is the 75k starting for mechanical maintenance. i assume that an engineer starts with more, but my point was that working in energy pays more than it probably should. i cannot know for certain how much one makes starting salary post-undergrad until next year, after my friend's brother graduates

maldoror: i don't see how; i think they're two completely different things. i have 1 friend in aerospace engineering and he hasn't spoke of anything extra hard. i chose nuclear because the job prospects were and continue to be high

soultek: i didn't mean any offense, it's just that i have many friends whose parents are mechanical and electrical and i find they don't get paid as much as i think they should. i'm expecting 80-85 starting, and can ask my student advisor and dean if any graduates spoke of their salaries. and i don't know anything about any inflation compensation, but when searching for those things in my previous post i came across some articles complaining that OPG and Hydro One are overpaid. does that have something to do with it?
                          anyway, i plan on getting my master's as stated, and am in my program's "management option" so yes, i will be selling out as you called it lol

Comment

• random
                            • Dec 2007

i like this thread
                            I don't exist.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

aaaahahahahaha

Reality check Tony Stark, you'll graduate and start out making $40-55k. Your 100k+ future is still about a decade away. In school I had tons of friends that talked up their engineering degrees and sorry to say it's just not true. Pretty much the only academic undergraduate degree that is going to pull you in $100k a year at the tender age of 22-23 is going to be i-banking.

[/quote]

But that also requires you know what.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]fuck the energy business. fucking rapists.
                                [/quote]

he's going into nuclear energy, not oil. if anything, he'll be the one saving us from exxon-mobil.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎