Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mononon
    • Sep 2009

i've put off doing this for so long, it's about time.

i'm currently a student in los angeles, california studying business administration. i've always felt that that's the path i've wanted to follow, especially since my mother's side of the family are all very established in the field, although over the past few years at university, i've felt more isolated from the subject more and more. i feel the people at the business school i am in care way too much about money and power and other goods that i don't really care too much about personally. i've always been drawn to fashion, especially more avant garde designs, for the past few years. when i was younger i was more drawn into skateboarding culture, but it soon evolved into designs of older raf, dior, and alexander mcqueen. not until earlier last year did i fall designers such as rick owens, older helmut, and damir. i actually still like such designers (although many of you will disagree with me) as band of outsiders and thom browne for tailored clothing when i feel like dressing up since as a business student, some days i cannot go around wearing rick. i actually would love to find a side of the fashion industry to work at, and am currently searching for a paid internship in fashion over the summer, but so far, no luck :( (if anyone knows of anything ANYWHERE please let me know!

i really like to thank faust for coming up with this forum to help like minded individuals discuss something that is rarely discusses, especially among men, as without SZ, i would not have an outlet to discuss one of my biggest passions in life for.
    calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ funny you should say this, i was telling someone the other day that this was basically the reason i started sz. glad it helps you.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kuugaia
        • Feb 2010

Put off doing this...but since I ended up posting waywt I thought it was a good time to do this as well. I'm a marketing student living in Australia, however I'm of Chinese decent.

I've always been interested in clothing, but never in the sense of labels. To cut a long story short, my interest into this industry started with noticing the evisu 'gull logo' on the back pocket of a random pedestrian's jeans. I scoured across the internet for information and came across the concept of raw denim. That's when it all started. One and a half years later after devouring brands such as Evisu to G-star to Nudies to Ksubi to Dior Homme...I one day found the infamous RO dunks. That was the day I had felt like I had uncovered a secret passageway. Glad I took the step in because I've never looked back since.

Though the discussions are quite heated here, there is so much knowledge to gain from this community. What made me commit to this forum was actually something I read by interest1 in discussion with Christian. I hope to learn many more things from the people here!

Comment

• Sombre
          • Jan 2009

Welcome.
          An artist is not paid for his labor, but for his vision. - James Whistler

Originally posted by BBSCCP
          I order 1 in every size, please, for every occasion

Comment

• Bubu
            • May 2008

Am from Singapore. Studying industrial design (BA) soon and I hope to further my studies in europe in the nearest future.

I fell in love with clothes thanks to my grandmother who never failed to complain about my poor sense of dressing. For that, I love her even more.

Then on, shopped around on my own but in Singapore, it's always LV, Prada, Hermes, Gucci, etc and I never understood their prices. The basis for Singapore's shopping malls are these labels so you get the same stuffs every few blocks down the shopping district, and the worst part is the people love it.

Surfed around the internet. Read more. American workwear was really 'in' at one point. It looks okay but just isn't my thing and couldn't see myself wearing it. Looked around more and fell in love with APC. Nice classic and elegant pieces, but prices were slightly overpriced for it's fundamental-esque nature.

I came across SZ and for the first time, I know why you guys give up so much of money for these clothes. (And I finally understood the prices) And for another first time, I could see myself giving up so much money for clothes.

SZ has so much knowledge and information. I feel I could learn so much from anyone here. Appreciate Faust (for starting this forum), and the many posters here for the various discussions that are lacking in so many fashion forums.
            Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.

Comment

• Untitled
              • Nov 2009

Hello I have been a member of sz for some time now and haven’t really contributed to the site yet I chose to sit and watch to get a feel for what the forum is about. But now I think it’s time that I introduced myself and started to contribute to the forum.

Most people call me Mclearie (my second name) I am currently a graphic design student and living in Sheffield I was introduced to the forum by my friend S.Ledger who I’m sure some of you will know. I hope to be able to input something positive into the forum.

That sounded very formal but I guess hello.

Comment

• Alesha
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by thehouseofdis View Post

Other fashion designers that I like are Raf Simons, Julius, Rick Owens, Boris Bidjan Saberi, Carol Christian Poell and Carpe Diem, but living where I do, I haven't had a lot of personal exposure to them.
                Birthplace of Weiden+Kennedy is not exposed to CCP, BBS and Jus and Dick? My god and I was considering to move to Portland recently...
                Originally posted by interest1
                I'm pulling you off my friends list if you don't put down the vodka.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Welcome, new people.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
                    Birthplace of Weiden+Kennedy is not exposed to CCP, BBS and Jus and Dick? My god and I was considering to move to Portland recently...
                    the W+K headquarters in portland is THE COOLEST fucking office building ever. they have an indoor basketball court and the design inside is just amazing.

Comment

• Alesha
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by endersgame View Post
                      the W+K headquarters in portland is THE COOLEST fucking office building ever. they have an indoor basketball court and the design inside is just amazing.
                      Indeed. I knew they were ballers ;)

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

Agree. My last place was directly across the street. It's a design junkie's wet dream.

sain't

Comment

• Alesha
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
                          Agree. My last place was directly across the street. It's a design junkie's wet dream.

What were you doing in Portland i1?

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Alesha View Post
                            What were you doing in Portland i1?
                            dreaming of new york, obviously.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• endersgame
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by interest1 View Post

huh. i was at W+K for a job interview (sort of) several years ago.

-: i didn't get the job.
                              +:i didn't have to live in portland.

Comment

• Alesha
                                • Apr 2009

huh. i was at W+K for a job interview (sort of) several years ago.

-: i didn't get the job.
                                +:i didn't have to live in portland.

Your in advertising?
                                (they have NY and Tokyo offices IIRC)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎