Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andrew
    • Sep 2009

I feel a real fool, i never knew Brix was in the Fall. Thank you Slangking for that little treat.

Comment

• copacetic
      • Nov 2010

hey everyone...just registered yesterday after lurking here for a while. my fashion sense has been evolving over the years, and i've just recently got into julius, ccp, rick owens, and damir doma. before that, i lived both in europe and in asia and followed the usual course of things...i found some respectable bespoke tailors to do good work for me, but they could never quite execute exactly what i wanted. so, though it's harder to get the ready-to-wear stuff to fix exactly as needed, when it does fit, the combination of the precise tailoring, the sense of design, and superior fabric, along with, yes, the correct fit, is the real ideal i'm looking for.

looking forward to discussing all sorts of topics with you all!
      And "When the prince has gathered about him
      "All the savants and artists, his riches will be fully employed."

Canto XIII, Ezra Pound

Comment

• Icarium
        • Oct 2010

Hi, I'm Icarium and I post under Abraxis on styleforum.net (Icarium was taken there).

I'm a 28 year old Silicon Valley human, born and raised there (Though took a brief detour to UW in Seattle for my undergrad). I now have returned to my spawning ground and work as an employee for the internet.

I've only recently become obsessed with clothing. I use the fact that I've lost ~110 pounds as excuse to justify spending an excessive amount on clothing. Previous obsessions include vintage video game stuff (Which extra didn't make sense since I don't even like playing video games), mmorpgs (Yeah a contradiction to previous statement, but I played them purely as a social proxy), headphones and audiophile related bits and now clothes.

My approach to fashion is pretty diffused as I don't really have a cohesive style, image or plan. I guess I'm more about clothes as individual pieces then anything else. If I ever do post a fit anywhere I expect to get scads of negative feedback + "That's just clothes. Not style." Still that's pretty acceptable since the joy I feel from handling, owning and wearing a piece that literally blows my mind overshadows anything else.

Whether it be from construction, design, color, fit, function, materials or a combination of such... there are things that I encounter sometimes where I'm just in awe that these things exist. Thankfully my bar is probably low comparative to veterans here so this happens quite often :)

Anyway, I'm definitively a consumer at heart and so I apologize in advance for that! Oh and my poor social skills :)

Comment

• bookstore
          • Mar 2010

24 years old, living in the midwest.

not sure what is supposed to be posted here, but i read/obsess over fashion/theory and have been digging this site for a bit in the shadows. won't cop to owning big pieces or knowing excessive knowledge; just here for more, it seems.

Comment

• The Great Destroyer
            • Nov 2010

Hello SZ

Hello everyone

I'm The Great Destroyer (that sure had a nice ring to it...), I'm 22 years old and I currently live in Sweden. I've been into fashion for about 5 years but it was not until I hit 20 that I started getting into the more avant garde side of fashion.

Rick Owens was pretty much the designer that opened my mind to different types of shapes and fabrics and while searching for Rick on google I stumbled upon Style Zeitgeist.

I have been browsing the forums for a couple of days and I feel that it is only appropriate that I introduce my self.

So here I am and I hope to stay here much longer and try to contribute as much as I can in order to keep up the high standard that has obviously been established here!

The Great Destroyer

Comment

• The Great Destroyer
              • Nov 2010

Nine Inch Nails

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by happyfresh View Post
                hi i'm happyfresh and i only wear it if it's eyetalian
                awesome. member since 2007.
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Louie
                  • Dec 2010

Hi guys !

I'm Louie, a French student. I have been living in Leeds for one year and I really plan to travel in the next years. NYC & Canada are kind of a dream for me. Btw, excuse my scholar English !

I'm really impressed by RO, Geller & Ann D stuff. At the moment, I can't really afford spending money to get dressed like I would but I work on it.

Nice to meet you !

Comment

• marc1975
                    • Dec 2010

Hi everyone,

I am Marc, 35 years, from Germany. A mutual friend told me about this forum, and I've been reading the postings from time to time, but didn't have the time to do postings of my own. Yesterday was the first day of my vacation, so I wanted to make a first step here.

Although I never actually had a formal education in doing so, I enjoy designing my own clothes and also putting them together.
                    Finding this hobby basically happened by accident. I already had a mechanical sewing machine for doing small changes (e.g. shortening pants). When I looked for a particular trench coat a couple of years back (which I had a clear idea of in my mind), I couldn't find it in the usual stores. So I decided to put one together by myself. I bought the fabric I liked, bought a (cheap) trench that fit ok, and took it apart to get the pattern from it. Then I modified the pattern to make it look like I wanted it to. Finally I put together the new trench with my own fabric, and it came out really well. Friends didn't believe that I did it on my own, but rather told me "yeah... you went to a tailor and got it done there."
                    Anyway... whenever I now have something that is not readily available or which is available from a designer that charges $$$ for it, I start putting it together on my own, or I at least try to
                    I've gone from a mechanical sewing machine to a computerized one that also does embroidery, and picked up a serger (Coverlock) in addition. Sewing as a hobby is close to meditating for me, as I have to concentrate so much on getting it right, that I forget about the trouble at work. That's why I also like it very much.

My fashion style is quite mixed. I am working in a pretty conservative environment, so half of my wardrobe is business (suits, ties, etc.).

Then I've got the usual leisure-time stuff, such as polo shirts, jeans, etc. Most of the stuff mentioned so far is by "standard" labels such as Boss, Burberry, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, etc.

Then there are the designer clothes. I only buy from a designer (which is often more expensive than the usual labels) when I am completely in awe regarding the design of the particular item. I never shopped for designers till 2008, when I was looking for a particular pair of boots that I could wear during winter time. I always soiled my pants when there was snow/mud, as most men's boots are not intended for tucking in your pants and just reach the ankle. Through a lot of Google searches, I found a pair of riding boots from Ann Demeulemeester at Browns, which I ordered right-away. I didn't know AnnD at this time, and - quite honestly - I didn't care who had designed the boots. I just considered these from a more practical perspective.
                    Still... this started something. First, I started looking for more of those online-shops that also carry the stuff you don't see around here (Browns, Luisaviaroma, etc.). And indeed, there were items that had a style or cut that I hadn't seen before. Second, I became more interested in fashion as such, although I still don't have preferred designers.
                    I am probably more like an engineer who looks at a particular piece of machinery, and already takes it apart in his mind to see how it works. Same applies when I see a certain designer piece, e.g. a jacket, with an unsual cut or shape. I also start thinking about how it is constructed, what fabric was used, and whether I could do this on my own.

I am fascinated by pushing the boundaries that are currently set by the standard men's fashion, but often I am not bold enough to really go through with it. I live in a very small town, so even wearing the riding boots from AnnD will get stares & looks that often make you wonder whether you are an alien that just landed on planet earth. So being too innovative is something you can do, but you must grow a thick skin.

Well... so much for now. My other hobbies are traveling, photography (as much as fashion), listening to music, inline skating and bowling.
                    Due to my work (especially in the last few months), I often have to work throughout the weekends. That's why I am glad to have some vacation now that I can use to do some picture editing and sewing.

Cheers,
                    Marc

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

marc, i like your introduction. you sound like a nice enough fellow and i'm sure you will enjoy the forum. lots of knowledgeable people here...
                      Last edited by Shucks; 12-17-2010, 04:51 PM. Reason: lots isn't spelled lot's

Comment

• docus
                        • Dec 2010

Hi, this is my first post here! A bit about me - I live in London, and I'm a big fan of Margiela, Rick Owens, Viridi Anne, Number (N)ine, Ann Demeulemeester, Carpe Diem, Carol Christian Poell, etc. I have expensive tastes but sadly too little money to satisfy them...! So, I'll be selling some items soon - Carpe Diem trousers, Nicolo Ceschi Berrini shirt, and probably lots more besides. Thanks for reading!

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Welcome, new people.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ndependence
                            • Dec 2010

This is my first public post here. I'm from Toronto, Canada where I believe fashion is very limited but slowly growing. I like different styles from somewhat conservative to edgy, mixing classics with casual. What concerns me the most is fit as most mens clothing is boxy without a pleasing shape. I dislike overly trendy styles particularly if I spending a certain amount of money, I expect to wear it for a while. My hobbies are photography, music, and I suppose clothing ;)

Comment

• CherryRed
                              • Feb 2009

well hello everyone :)

I'm a senior college student currently living in Canada, majored in medicine as well ( I think there are quite a few of the bio-medics here). I signed up some time ago but never posted anything, mainly because I'm kind of shy, and that I have a tendency to speak only when I have a thorough knowledge to the topic and have confidence that my opinion can contribute in some way. (which I still don't think I have, but trying to overcome:)).

I got into fashion because my boyfriend is an addict who basically force fed me everything he adored about fashion. Which was a pain in the neck at first (*cough), but the more I got to know about it, the more affecting and gripping I found it to be.

Fashion to me is the best way for an introvert (like myself) to express themselves, it speaks your attitude, your class, even your mood. It can be my slogan on the parading board or my remedy to cure a bad day. You can alter it, create it, mix it, it's just so volatile and exciting.

I like both the dark romantic / baroque/ poetic/ pastoralism and the avant-garde, edgier designers like Ackermann, MMM, RO, DD, Watanabe, m.a.+Rad Hourani ..etc.

I'm also into the more feminine, softer designs like Sonia Rykiel, Lacroix, saab, Lelong.. the list goes on so I won't bore you with the extended version.
                              I don't really have favorite designers but more like favorite seasons or specific garments, I'm still a beginner and hope I can learn and grow from all of you.

Comment

• MyMindSpray
                                • Mar 2008

hello everyone...

though i have been following this forum for some time, i thought it would be a good time to formally introduce myself (being the eve of Christmas and having some time at work).

i'm a Toronto boy, born and raised...early days were spent entrenched in hip hop and skateboarding when both of these growing subcultures were panned as fads.

growing up i always had an attraction to anything related design and the arts...specifically, i was attracted to those things neglected and ignored by those in the mainstream audience.

as a young man growing up in the early 90s, making trips back and forth between New York and Toronto, i was exposed to and gravitated to "streetwear" and feel blessed to have been part of this culture's inception and developement. Times have changed and what started out as something that seemed to have legs, like all other movements that started from an "underground" environment became bastardized and overexposed. However, i feel fortunate to have seen labels such as Number (N)ine, Undercover, Bathing Ape, Supreme, etc start and each take different paths to become what the are/were, good or bad...It's not about what you become, it's the path and journey to how you got there right?? Interesting times.

while i don't remember how i first came across this forum, i do remember that it was the passion towards fashion, more specifically, fashion design ideas, that first drew me in...i have always been interested in ideas that push boundaries and that have not yet been overexposed, and in regards to fashion, i don't think there's an online community better suited for this.

i spent much time in the past looking for an online presence that shared a similar form of thinking, and while i have never been one to heavily participate, i look forward to watching forums such as this grow.

looking foward to sharing and reading more thoughtful insight into a topic we all clearly love.

J

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎