Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkbydesign
    • Sep 2010

Thanks for the warm welcome BSR, Merz, cjbreed! :)

It's great to see some other scientists on here with appreciation for the arts. To me science is very similar to art if you are taking the right risks in invention, discovery, and creativity.

I haven't stumbled across too many SZ-clad scientists in passing, but on here there do seem to be quite a few, which makes sense. The obsession with individual style involved in fashion does peak the interest of many intellects. Certainly beats the standard lab coat. :)

I find SZ to be really intellectual and all the arts professionals on here are a great read.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Comment

• UA+
      • Nov 2007

Hello. My name is Claudio and I'm a Portuguese industrial management and engineering soon to be graduate, and will be moving back to Finland in the next weeks (Helsinki to be precise) where i have spent my last year as an exchange student, although this time around it was in Tampere. I am a sufu member that goes by egpt, but i have grown a bit tired of the discussions and evolution, or lack of, there, and have found myself for the last years to be more interested in what is around here in terms of community than in Sufu.

Although i consider myself to have a more practical view to fashion than most in here, i love some of the pieces created by SZ friendly brands as much as i hate some others. I like this forum as it has what i consider to be some extremely interesting aesthetics which when not overdone to the extent created by the designers for the runway results in vry stylish personal style compositions, lowrey and seenmy are the first names that pop to my mind in this case but sure there are others.

Margiela, Raf, Robert Geller pop out as some of my biggest personal preferences, but i highly appraise aesthetics such as rick owens, damir doma ,BBS and Alexander Plohkov to name a few, and even though i do incorporate some of it into my personal style i believe i do it so in a somewhat concealed way. I guess i like to think that i to try to be a bit more timeless and safe than most here, even though i highly respect what comes out of here from a lot of members, i just know it doesn't fit me, my lifestyle or my personal preferences. Hope that makes any sense.

I apologize for taking 4 years to make my first post (ahah). I am quite wary of exposing myself on a personal level online to strangers and i guess i was never willing to do it until now. it didn't make much sense to me to post in this forum in a somewhat anonymous way like i do in Sufu, hence the long lurking time frame.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Welcome, UA+. I am a fan of Helsinki as well.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• akatsuki
          • Nov 2010

Hi everyone.

I'm a management consultant, but in my off time I really appreciate some of the artistry that goes on here.

I am obsessed with LUC and Incarnation leather mostly, although some of the other pieces here sometimes really speak to me - I am sure by the standards of most people here, I'd be pretty boring on style.

Anyway, I just wanted to stop in and say hi since I tend to be more of a lurker than poster.

Comment

• b_z
            • Jul 2011

Hi,

I've been lurking there for almost a year now, and I think it's time for my to try and participate a little. Introducing myself being a good start.

I am a French 23 years old guy living near Paris.

I am openly gay (though not "flamboyantly") and I think it's relevant to mention it.

This year was -hopefully- my last year as a student.
            Mathematics were my initial field of study, I really liked maths, and it was easy for me so I followed a rather standard path:
            French "classes préparatoires", and then full cursus at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, with a research master and the "agrégation".

But research or teaching didn't appeal enough to me, and I decided not to start a thesis. I took a year in sociology instead (a master in sociology of innovation), and I'm really glad I did: I learned a completely different way of looking at things.

After an interesting internship in French Minister of Industry that ended last month, I felt like I should give a try to a project I've been dreaming of for a year or so: create my own company.

I am fond of science and technology, I like to understand how things work... And I really like photography -as a technician, for I think I have poor artistic taste-.
            The company I plan on creating will create lenses with specific image rendition (think "lensbaby" or tilt/shift) for cinema, and operate them.

When does SZ comes in the picture? Well, I've never really paid attention to my clothes until last year, when I had to buy a suit for different internship interviews.

So I began checking French (depiedencap) and English forums and blogs about "formal" clothing, and I got really interested. From here, I got interested into younger and less formal fashion, and found other forums and blogs (French commeuncamion, sufu...).

And then, I found SZ. And it's where I feel I should belong, for I really feel SZ style and designers suits me (and my 1m90 65kg) better than everything I've known before.

Black and white, leather, waxed fabrics, Jack Skellington-like silhouettes, DIY stuff, layering, draped items, geometric shapes... Many things I like in SZ style, with designers like RO or gareth pugh... And I want to know more, to have feedback on what I'm doing (looking forward to post in WAYWT)...

I'm ashamed of my bad English, which keeps me from participating more, but I'll try to overcome that and participate :)
            My Photography: Website/Facebook Page

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Welcome. Sounds like you'll fit right in.
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• thegryphon
                • Mar 2011

I've been lurking here for quite some time, then decided to sign up and just later (now) contribute to this forum, in which I'm getting more and more interested, coming from SF.

21, law student, from Italy.

So, well, ciao!

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

bienvenue aux nouveaux frenchies (et scientifiques de surcroît )
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by noumenos
                    Thank you Faust, i'll try to contribute in the best way. Currently, I mostly post in the culture threads, as I have the feeling that I still need to learn before being relevant/useful on the fashion threads.
                    Also, I'm coming from a very humble family, and even if I can live decently today, it's always counter-nature for me to spend too much money for my appearance. But I'm trying to cure myself
                    I come from a family of humble means, too (I still live in an immigrant/blue collar neighborhood). Things change. You should find the numerous discussions about pricing we've had. One I think is in the "pricing is crazy/justified thread" and there are more.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Please stick around. My girlfriend just wrote her Master's thesis on sustainable fashion. Maybe I can put you two in contact so you can exchange ideas.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Feel free to start one.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• luke
                          • Mar 2011

i'm going to attempt to remove myself from lurker status and start posting. i'm from indiana, living in london with my wife. i'm a designer / developer. i like skateboarding, art history and pulp. i hate writing about myself.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

/\ now's a good time.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• syed
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by rilu
                              Also, I'm not sure if there is a thread of sustainable fashion or something similar, if not, it'd be interesting to start one.
                              Please do, I was thinking of doing this but wasn't sure how to get the ball rolling in terms of discussion.
                              "Lots of people who think they are into fashion are actually just into shopping"

Comment

• line.theory
                                • Feb 2011

Hi all. I'm an Australian politics graduate, and I'm now a first year fashion design student. I'm also a very passionate photographer, and sometimes passionate writer.

I have a sewing assessment in nine hours, and I'm bloody terrified, but also a little psyched for it. In any case, I should probably get some sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎