X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Real Real
    • Feb 2007

Re: Small questions thread

[quote user="Chinorlz"]the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.[/quote]

Ahh, that is pretty cool. I wonder why they chose to apply the dye to cordovan, rather than regular leather? I thought cordovan was pretty difficult to dye well, something to do with the nonporous nature of the leather?

Actually, cordovan can get pretty hot in the summer (because of the nonporousness), so perhaps they chose it because it would increase the effects of the dye.

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Real Real"][quote user="Chinorlz"]the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.[/quote]

Ahh, that is pretty cool. I wonder why they chose to apply the dye to cordovan, rather than regular leather? I thought cordovan was pretty difficult to dye well, something to do with the nonporous nature of the leather?

Actually, cordovan can get pretty hot in the summer (because of the nonporousness), so perhaps they chose it because it would increase the effects of the dye.[/quote]

Not sure about the low porosity (i guess as a horse or cow you don't want too many pores near where you poo...) but I can tell you that just adding the word "cordovan" to any leather product allows you to jack the price up about $300-500 depending. Each horse/cow only got two butt cheeks with enough leather to approximately make 1 pair of shoes per animal.

In terms of dying ease, I'm pretty certain leather houses have it figured out since cordovan is utilized by so many different leather companies in full color ranges.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Huxley
        • Dec 2007

Does anyone know anything about the brand ripvanwinkle? I saw some of it in a men's non-no but don't know much else about it.

Comment

• pbt
          • Jan 2007

[quote user="Huxley"]Does anyone know anything about the brand ripvanwinkle? I saw some of it in a men's non-no but don't know much else about it.[/quote]

A bit. It's an odd thing,the labelwas starting to make a splash and the right people werebeginning to take notice when suddenlyit disappeared, without a trace,in about1988. And seeminglyout of no where it now has resurfaced.

Comment

• KeijiHaino
            • Dec 2006

i know it says it ends in november but uh...does this still work?

http://www.yoox.com/areas/samplesale...asp?areaid=166

Comment

• the breaks
              • Sep 2007

Rip van winkle pops up in the continues categories on yahoo auctions all the time. The design philosophy seems to be similar to them with rugged materials and construction but I don't know of anyone who's actually bought their pieces so I have no idea about the quality etc.
              Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Real Real
                • Feb 2007

[quote user="pbt"]

[quote user="Huxley"]Does anyone know anything about the brand ripvanwinkle? I saw some of it in a men's non-no but don't know much else about it.[/quote]

A bit. It's an odd thing,the labelwas starting to make a splash and the right people werebeginning to take notice when suddenlyit disappeared, without a trace,in about1988. And seeminglyout of no where it now has resurfaced.

[/quote]

Hahah.

Comment

• crouka
                  • Jul 2007

rip van winkle started out as a store specializing in leather. maybe the end of 97. in those days they had "carpe diem" as well as a few pieces from their private label. after a while they developed their own label successfully and also grew into a very nice multi-label store carrying cd/lm, ccp, casey vidalenc, fabrizio del carlo, etc. it was around 99. no longer about leather only, but still merchandise centered around leather. they were a cut above attachmet when it comes to quality.

they launched a new line, more elaborate, called r last year.

Comment

• Fuuma
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

[quote user="Real Real"][quote user="Chinorlz"]the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.[/quote]

Actually, cordovan can get pretty hot in the summer (because of the nonporousness), so perhaps they chose it because it would increase the effects of the dye.[/quote]

Not sure about the low porosity (i guess as a horse or cow you don't want too many pores near where you poo...) but I can tell you that just adding the word "cordovan" to any leather product allows you to jack the price up about $300-500 depending. Each horse/cow only got two butt cheeks with enough leather to approximately make 1 pair of shoes per animal.

In terms of dying ease, I'm pretty certain leather houses have it figured out since cordovan is utilized by so many different leather companies in full color ranges.

[/quote]

Cordovan is not the surfaceepidermis of the horse but a part that is more muscle than plain hide.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• thejjbb
                      • Apr 2008

Quick question: do leather shirts (like carpe diem, M.A.+) stretch out at all?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

not really no.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• uparmoured
                          • Sep 2007

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

[/quote]

Cordovan is not the surfaceepidermis of the horse but a part that is more muscle than plain hide.

[/quote]
                          The dying process apparently takes around 6 months maybe also due to the non-porous nature of the hide. Supposedly very strong but I just had a lace hole in a pair of cordovan boots split...grrr not happy!
                          FS: M.A+
                          FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• Avantster
                            ¤¤¤
                            • Sep 2006

Shit. Really, Kev? How'd that happen? Please tell me it's not the bulbous shiny c.diem cordovans. Those are my HG...
                            let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• uparmoured
                              • Sep 2007

Sadly yes... I put them on in a rush heading out and did a looong day of walking... After it all I looked down to see the broken portion and a busted lace in the process... My theory is that there was already a little tear in the hole that was ripped open over the day. It seems that hole section also delaminated from from the centre fabric portion... I'll take it to the shoe shop to see what they can do to fix it up... Otherwise I am still happy to wear them as they are, just skipping the dodgy hole... GRRR...
                              FS: M.A+
                              FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• StephenDaedalus
                                • May 2008

I assume this is would be the right place to ask about care instructions for some Drkshdw tees. I have a few that say dry clean only on the tag, and another that states machine wash. They're simply cotton tees, so I was wondering why they would reccomend dry-cleaning. Any ideas? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎