Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahn
    • Jul 2012

A moth (??) has attacked all of my fine Rick virgin wool pieces - worst hit was my beloved cardigan and a beautiful lightweight mock neck long sleeve top. I'm just devastated. I took them to my tailor and she basically said there were too many holes for it to be worth repairing.

Has this happened to anyone else? None of my other materials are being eaten, just the very thin wools.

Our house doesn't have a wardrobe with fixed doors, everything essentially hangs out in the 'open'. We hung mothballs but all they've done is made our bedroom smell like an old man. The mock neck top was attacked before the mothballs and the cardigan was after - so either it isn't a moth or the balls do not work.

I don't know what to do with them now. I just keep staring at them sadly.
    Short of never buying virgin wool every again...
    some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• jurassicsnark
      • Sep 2015

Please note: I am speaking here as a knitter.

It's not actually moths that eat wool but their larvae. The best way to kill the larvae on wool is by freezing. Many people who live in seasonal climates (where you put away your winter clothes) will put their woolens in a ziploc bag and toss them in the freezer for a few days before storing them (in the bags). You can also iron woolens to destroy any larvae, but only do this if the garment does not say "dry clean only" or "do not iron."

Alicia, I know you live in Melbourne, which has a pretty consistent climate, so those pieces get used year-round — San Francisco is similar. It might be worth doing a seasonal ironing or freezing in your case...

As for the pieces that have been damaged, if they're black and opaque, you can mend them, though they will take on a bit of shabbiness. I have a favorite Rick sweater that has 4 holes in it — I have a tendency to catch it in my jacket zipper — that I have mended and continue to wear. As the sweater is black, it would take someone looking very closely to notice the mends.

Hope this helps. <3

Comment

• jap808
        • Dec 2012

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a BBS zipper3 (wool, cotton, cashmere from current season) as a autumn/winter jacket. Do you think it could be used as outodoor jacket when temperature falls to 2-3° C degrees?
        As for sizing, does it fit true (I'm mt.1,87 x kg.77 and was looking for a M/48)?
        Thanks!

Comment

• stagename
          • Oct 2011

Just to add a few things on moths:
          - Freezing it seems works best if you do it twice, i.e. you freeze your piece, let ie thawn, and freeze it again. You can also wash with hot water or put in the dryer but I understand not advisable for Rick wools.

- Moth balls only work in closed spaces because you want to have a certain chemical concentration in the air, so it wouldn't work in an open air environment. Also pretty bad for your health. An alternative is to get garment plastic bags (eitehr for storage or the vacuum-able ones for travel) and put your wools there with moth balls. But then moth ball smell is kind of hard to get off.

- When pieces are not in use, I follow the advice given by jurassicsnark.

There exist products that use pheronomones to catch moths. If you think you have moths at home, it might be worth buying a few. This will catch the moths, hopefully before they larvae your clothes. It's also a good indicator as to whether you have a lot or a few of them in your home. I use this kind of product in the past and it worked super well. It was in a large loft environment, too, so it might work in your case.

Good luck and sorry for your piece.

Comment

• BBSCCP
            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by jap808 View Post
            Hi, I'm thinking of buying a BBS zipper3 (wool, cotton, cashmere from current season) as a autumn/winter jacket. Do you think it could be used as outodoor jacket when temperature falls to 2-3° C degrees?
            As for sizing, does it fit true (I'm mt.1,87 x kg.77 and was looking for a M/48)?
            Thanks!
            To both questions: Yes

Comment

• jap808
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by BBSCCP View Post
              To both questions: Yes
              To both answers: Thank you very much!

UPDATE: I've just received the zipper3 and couldn't be more satisfied. It's exactly what I was looking for: material and fitting is nearly perfect. Will post a pic soon.
              Thanks again!
              Last edited by jap808; 01-08-2019, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• tuor
                • Jan 2012

I am interested in this rick owens x adidas sneakers, they are only $14

how does the sizing run? my feet size is 11, but do the shoes run small? maybe a size 12?
                then i can get an insole to fill up the extra space. what do you think?

Comment

• supercilious
                  • Apr 2014

Anyone ever change the height of heel stack on Shoes? I have a pair of Premiata boots that I'd like to raise an inch or two.

Comment

• osn19
                    • Feb 2007

Any solution to Guidi nails feeling very uncomfy ?

Originally posted by blacksuit
                    wow .. ccp bag is more better than guidi bag?

Comment

• Gauche
                      • Nov 2010

Insole, a very thin one.

Will not work if you are already tight in your shoes.

Comment

• TheInformalGenius
                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by osn19 View Post

http://www.tennisildere.fr/images/de...6457_36119.jpg
                        Referencing Gauches's solution.... You could probably use a thin insole and custom cut it to cover the nails. Maybe add some adhesive to secure the covering.

Comment

• Nickefuge
                          • Nov 2014

Simply drill holes into your foot that the nails can slide into.
                          "The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go. Life is too short to blend in."
                          -Paris Hilton

Comment

• Rei
                            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by osn19 View Post

http://www.tennisildere.fr/images/de...6457_36119.jpg
                            Small leather soles meant for covering the heel area. Glue it in place, when it gets too worn just rip off and repeat. At least how I handled it. Or I'm sure some cobbler could do it for you.

Comment

• hwaan
                              • Nov 2018

please let me know some online shop of carol christian poell :) !

Comment

• stagename
                                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Nickefuge View Post
                                Simply drill holes into your foot that the nails can slide into.
                                I don't why there is some sort of rule where the most expensive shoes are also the ones that require the most work to be effectively worn. I buy 100$ Nike or 50$ Converse and magic, I can wear them the same day. I buy 900$ Guidi and I have to go and further spend 100$ on an insole and a sole, and heel taps, just to be able to wear the goddam shoes. How f* hard would it be to provide soles that are wearable from the get-go. Goddam. #endofrant

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎