Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kanne
    • Jun 2009

I want to dye a denim jacket with leather sleeves. The sleeves are already black so it doesn't matter if the textile dye won't work on them, but I'm kind of worried that the dye will damage the leather or leave stains on it.

Has anybody already attempted this or can tell me what textile dye will do to (calf) leather?

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by kanne View Post
      I want to dye a denim jacket with leather sleeves. The sleeves are already black so it doesn't matter if the textile dye won't work on them, but I'm kind of worried that the dye will damage the leather or leave stains on it.

Has anybody already attempted this or can tell me what textile dye will do to (calf) leather?
      if the jacket is cotton then you'd be doing a cold dye process with little heat.

you can cover the sleeves in industrial plastic (or heavy duty garbage bags so little or no water penetrates them.

leather can be cold dyed, but it shrinks and has to be re-moisturized after so be careful. it can be done but skillfully
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• kanne
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
        if the jacket is cotton then you'd be doing a cold dye process with little heat.

you can cover the sleeves in industrial plastic (or heavy duty garbage bags so little or no water penetrates them.

leather can be cold dyed, but it shrinks and has to be re-moisturized after so be careful. it can be done but skillfully
        Thank you, zamb. It's a drkshdw jacket and the tag says it's washable at 40°C. The body is 100% cotton and the sleeves black calf leather. The fabric is called "dirty blue" and is basically denim overdyed black. The tag also has black stains so they may have overdyed the whole jacket. Maybe the sleeves were sewn on afterwards, I don't know. I was hoping to make the cotton body pitch black.

I was actually planning on using dylon and dyeing it in the washing machine. Not sure if covering the sleeves with plastic would have any use in the washing machine. I remember the CCP leather jacket washing thread so I'm not that worried about water on the leather. It seems like leather is usually dyed differently - making it hard to search how it will react with this textile dye.

I would not mind a little shrinkage, to be honest. More so in the cotton body than the leather sleeves though.

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Thank you, zamb. It's a drkshdw jacket and the tag says it's washable at 40°C. The body is 100% cotton and the sleeves black calf leather. The fabric is called "dirty blue" and is basically denim overdyed black. The tag also has black stains so they may have overdyed the whole jacket. Maybe the sleeves were sewn on afterwards, I don't know. I was hoping to make the cotton body pitch black.

I was actually planning on using dylon and dyeing it in the washing machine. Not sure if covering the sleeves with plastic would have any use in the washing machine. I remember the CCP leather jacket washing thread so I'm not that worried about water on the leather. It seems like leather is usually dyed differently - making it hard to search how it will react with this textile dye.

I would not mind a little shrinkage, to be honest. More so in the cotton body than the leather sleeves though.
          you can cold dye the whole jacket,
          i have never used dylon dyes so i don't know how they work

if you do dye the jacket without covering the sleeves, then you will need to rinse the jacket in vinegar to preserve the leather
          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I would not attempt this yourself. Send it to Colibri instead. At least you will have a job well done. The thread for Colibri is pinned on top of this subforum.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
              Has anyone ever tried super glue for reinforcing or fixing that part of the zipper fabric? I haven't had that issue just yet, but it might be krazy enough to work.
              I think it could work, though it might crack after some use. Also wondering if it could be hand stitched to reinforce it?
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• nyarkies
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by vegettoo View Post
                rick shearling is still good ,it literally has better quality than the leather piece, I can wear only a tshirt under it when the temperature around 8 degree
                Originally posted by Faust View Post
                They are awesome, but I would not dare buy one without trying one on. All shearlings are super warm.
                Thanks for the input guys. I'm just wondering also if the shearling leather will stretch out more since it is lamb which tends to have more give compared to calf or horse leather. I don't think getting measurements will be a good way to gauge fit for this type of jacket.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

The reason I said you need to try one on is that in my experience they run slim, especially the long-hair one. I think it could be because Rick may not change the grading on the patterns to account for this material that is much thicker than usual.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• stagename
                    • Oct 2011

I think it could be because Rick may not change the grading on the patterns to account for this material that is much thicker than usual.
                    Always glad to see my thousands of dollars go to properly designed garments.

Comment

• nyarkies
                      • Feb 2012

The reason I said you need to try one on is that in my experience they run slim, especially the long-hair one. I think it could be because Rick may not change the grading on the patterns to account for this material that is much thicker than usual.
                      I understood what you meant. I'm just stating that going by measurements won't be ideal especially if purchasing online for said pieces.

Comment

• gawkrodger
                        • Jun 2013

tired old rick leather question - what leather is leather code LBO?

Comment

• blackfedora
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by gawkrodger View Post
                          tired old rick leather question - what leather is leather code LBO?
                          Boxed calf, some years are good, others, not so much. SS11 LBO is a good one, dense, shiny, some grain, remains stiff.

Comment

• vegettoo
                            • Oct 2014

Does boris has a special body molded version p13? Or all the p13s have the same cut? P13 is a bit too curvy in my opinion, but the recent season p13 seems like a bit straighten now?

Comment

• blackfedora
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by vegettoo View Post
                              Does boris has a special body molded version p13? Or all the p13s have the same cut? P13 is a bit too curvy in my opinion, but the recent season p13 seems like a bit straighten now?
                              There are 3 cuts for the P13 that I know of: RF, TF, XTF which stand for regular fit, tight fit and extra tight fit, respectively. I know that there were two body molded variants from AW16 (I think there are some from earlier seasons as well). One was the mottled grey with minimal white splatter that was available at various stores and the other was a BBSNY exclusive in a dark combat green with pale black mottling. The former was available in RF and TF whereas the latter only in TF (only 6 or 8 pairs made according to the folks at BBSNY). I have P13's from SS12 to AW16 and the leg curvature does vary from year to year, but I have not seen any definitive trend. The straightest pair of P13's that I have are from FW14-15.

Comment

• vegettoo
                                • Oct 2014

Thanks a lot blackfedora! It's very helpful, so that means the body molded version fits a bit different with the normal p13? Or it can be said more "fitted"?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎