Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speak
    • Nov 2007

yes, that's what i meant, sorry for the mislabel. similar to the ones that were on sale at eluxury.

Comment

• snafu
      • Apr 2008

who is Eugene Rabkin, ???

a fashion journalist for Haaretz and the owner of www.stylezeitgeist.com

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

1 + 1 = ?
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Thanks Snafu. You are about two months too late though - the spot has been blown wide open.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
            • Apr 2008

im always slow on the upkeep im like so last season

i thought it must have been your slef mr faust

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

the one and only, indeed
              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Raw Edge
                • Jan 2008

carpe hem

did Carpe mostly make pants with wide hem/leg openings, or did they make some trousers with thinner hems too?
                I keep encountering trousers with 10'' leg openings, maybe big because they were favoring a relaxed/boot style?

Comment

• Oct 2008

I need SZ's help for New York store recommendations (yes i have checked the stickies etc). I wont have tooo much time, so I'd just like to know all of my options so i can spend my time efficiently. my list is currently as follows:

thom browne
                  yohji yamamoto
                  maison martin margiela
                  aloha rag
                  n(n)
                  If
                  atelier
                  RO
                  seven
                  oak
                  odin
                  nom de guerre
                  dior homme
                  comme des garcons
                  helmut lang

i realise it would be much too big an effort to see all of these in only a few days, though these are my options (some of which i am much more keen on than others). For most of these I am more interested in seeing the stores and clothing in person than actually purchasing (stretched for cash).

Are there any other flagship stores or smaller boutiques that i'm missing (in terms of SZ style brands and smaller interesting designers)? Any smaller stores that few may know about?

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

here: http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5080

mostly food, accomodation etc though

as for stores, I would definately skip aloha rag, firstly because they are ridicilously expensive, and secondly because their selection at the nyc store is pretty wack. for example, last fall they had hardly any Demeulemeester which is one of the quite few designers of theirs I would've liked to see.. I would personally skip ndg, dior and helmut lang, but if those are labels you are particularly into then you should probably check them out.
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

skip atelier. not worth it.

on a more serious note, why the fuck would you want to go to fake helmut lang? SZ cardinal sin number 1. and dior homme, lolwut? skip nom de guerre and odin while you are at it, as well as thom browne. n(n), why the fuck would you want to go - need some clown attire? aloha rag, are you joking? are you in the market for philip lim? and why aren't you going to barneys? oak is a joke. you might want to check out jeffrey - even though everything about it sucks, they've started buying Ann like crazy. i'm done.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

yea, those guys dress mad funny

I think Odin is pretty nice if you're into the brands they carry, I mainly check them out for Geller as they tend to have a pretty good stock.. but if the rag&bone, nice collective etc aesthetic appeals to you then its worth checking out for sure.

n(n), well their runway stuff undoubtedly sucks, I dont know how much of the basic stuff (denim etc.) they usually have
                        Last edited by lowrey; 02-19-2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Oct 2008

ahh yeah well as i said many of the flagship stores were there purely because i recalled they label had a flagship store in NY. Also, coming from Brisbane, some of these labels i have never even had the chance to see in person before, so perhaps you could understand that I am not really in a position to be overly discerning in my selections. i realise a few of the brands have seen their best times, and again, this was merely a list of all the options i had.

thanks for the heads up lowrey.

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

Faust, what's with the rant? you are going to give the wrong idea about new yorkers.

034936, i would consider choosing stores that are in close proximity to each other...Barney's is great, but there's nothing else in the area, shopping wise.

You can hit CDG, MMM, Yohji MP, and Jeffrey in a couple of hours, easily. Helmut Lang is also right there, but not so great, imo. The first two are especially good, since the spaces themselves are interesting.

Another cluster would be IF, Yohji, Seven and Odin, all in Soho. (The first two are across the street from each other.) You might also consider taking a walk through Chinatown (lots of good cheap food) and going to Project no. 8.

Atelier, RO, and Thom Browne are also close to each other, basically just a straight walk down Hudson.
                            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by laika View Post
                              Faust, what's with the rant? you are going to give the wrong idea about new yorkers.

034936, i would consider choosing stores that are in close proximity to each other...Barney's is great, but there's nothing else in the area, shopping wise.

You can hit CDG, MMM, Yohji MP, and Jeffrey in a couple of hours, easily. Helmut Lang is also right there, but not so great, imo. The first two are especially good, since the spaces themselves are interesting.

Another cluster would be IF, Yohji, Seven and Odin, all in Soho. (The first two are across the street from each other.) You might also consider taking a walk through Chinatown (lots of good cheap food) and going to Project no. 8.

Atelier, RO, and Thom Browne are also close to each other, basically just a straight walk down Hudson.
                              I was just playing. I would cut out TB exactly because it's rather out of the way - a good 15 min walk down Hudson or so, and unless you came in looking very interested, you are probably going to get a cold treatment. I mean, there is basically nothing to do there, except get measured or try on a suit. Odin is also somewhat out of the way. Well, not far by any means. I still think Barneys is worth a trip in itself. Besides, central park is there! Surely, he's not coming to New York just to shop! 01234567, use the map I pinned here in order to see how the stores are clustered. I suppose I should update it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Oct 2008

Yeah i took a look at the map, but noticed there was no rick owens store, and figured that there may be a few other newer stores that may also not be incluided, and figured it would be safer to ask SZers.

And about thom browne, i was interested after reading a great review of the store fitout.. though i do suppose the SA's wouldnt be too welcoming of me if i had come purely to look at the store and not spend.

laika, thanks so much for the advice about the clustered shops, that will be very useful when it comes to splitting up time.

another quick question, how much do cab fares vary and generally cost around manhattan?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎