Page 11 of 742 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: Small questions thread

Default Re: Small questions thread

the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

hmmm, but what if you are all happy because you color coordinated your outfit, and then you come out and your black boots turn green? i'd be pissed.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

it's a very nice subtle dark/black green..

[quote user="Chinorlz"]the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.[/quote]

I wonder if the thermochromic dye was added as a layer on top of the original dye. Still awesome, as long as it lasts. I loved hypercolor, but after a few washes...

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

that's just crazy. good crazy.

[quote user="Avantster"]

[quote user="Chinorlz"]the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.[/quote]

I wonder if the thermochromic dye was added as a layer on top of the original dye. Still awesome, as long as it lasts. I loved hypercolor, but after a few washes...

[/quote]

the hypercolor technology has gotten better... the new versions you see now are colorfast and often even tumble-dry-able. As for the thermochromic dye applied on top... I believe it's fully saturated in the stuff. Vat dyed using the thermochromic based on the color and depth of the color change. Very well executed.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

As always you're a wealth of information, Albert. Very curious to see how it is in person.
    let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

[quote user="Avantster"]As always you're a wealth of information, Albert. Very curious to see how it is in person.
    [/quote]

albert's had the process applied to him so he knows how it goes. he uses it for camouflage during his paint ball games.

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

^ it's true [86]

I tried looking for the dyes themselves but I haven't had any luck yet. I'd love to try my hand at doing the dying of various fabrics with it myself but it seems like the process isn't a straightforward classic vat dye method... at least from reading between the lines this is what I'm concluding.

From one leather to another, that slouchy washed leather bag by Ann D. at Atelier, anyone knows what it goes for? Any cheaper alternatives out there?

It's this one I'm thinking of: http://web.mac.com/ateliernewyork/iW...?slideIndex=76

Ahh, that is pretty cool. I wonder why they chose to apply the dye to cordovan, rather than regular leather? I thought cordovan was pretty difficult to dye well, something to do with the nonporous nature of the leather?

Actually, cordovan can get pretty hot in the summer (because of the nonporousness), so perhaps they chose it because it would increase the effects of the dye.

[quote user="Real Real"][quote user="Chinorlz"]the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.[/quote]

Ahh, that is pretty cool. I wonder why they chose to apply the dye to cordovan, rather than regular leather? I thought cordovan was pretty difficult to dye well, something to do with the nonporous nature of the leather?

Actually, cordovan can get pretty hot in the summer (because of the nonporousness), so perhaps they chose it because it would increase the effects of the dye.[/quote]

Not sure about the low porosity (i guess as a horse or cow you don't want too many pores near where you poo...) but I can tell you that just adding the word "cordovan" to any leather product allows you to jack the price up about $300-500 depending. Each horse/cow only got two butt cheeks with enough leather to approximately make 1 pair of shoes per animal.

In terms of dying ease, I'm pretty certain leather houses have it figured out since cordovan is utilized by so many different leather companies in full color ranges.

Does anyone know anything about the brand ripvanwinkle? I saw some of it in a men's non-no but don't know much else about it.

[quote user="Huxley"]Does anyone know anything about the brand ripvanwinkle? I saw some of it in a men's non-no but don't know much else about it.[/quote]

A bit. It's an odd thing,the labelwas starting to make a splash and the right people werebeginning to take notice when suddenlyit disappeared, without a trace,in about1988. And seeminglyout of no where it now has resurfaced.

i know it says it ends in november but uh...does this still work?

http://www.yoox.com/areas/samplesale...asp?areaid=166

Rip van winkle pops up in the continues categories on yahoo auctions all the time. The design philosophy seems to be similar to them with rugged materials and construction but I don't know of anyone who's actually bought their pieces so I have no idea about the quality etc.
    Suede is too Gucci.

[quote user="pbt"]

[quote user="Huxley"]Does anyone know anything about the brand ripvanwinkle? I saw some of it in a men's non-no but don't know much else about it.[/quote]

A bit. It's an odd thing,the labelwas starting to make a splash and the right people werebeginning to take notice when suddenlyit disappeared, without a trace,in about1988. And seeminglyout of no where it now has resurfaced.

[/quote]

Hahah.

rip van winkle started out as a store specializing in leather. maybe the end of 97. in those days they had "carpe diem" as well as a few pieces from their private label. after a while they developed their own label successfully and also grew into a very nice multi-label store carrying cd/lm, ccp, casey vidalenc, fabrizio del carlo, etc. it was around 99. no longer about leather only, but still merchandise centered around leather. they were a cut above attachmet when it comes to quality.

they launched a new line, more elaborate, called r last year.

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

[quote user="Real Real"][quote user="Chinorlz"]the leather actually changes color with heat. The leather was dyed using a thermochromic dye has a base color and changes structural conformation with the application of heat to show a different color. Its hypercolor for leather... Augusta did a bag in it too... Green to black. Really fun stuff.[/quote]

Actually, cordovan can get pretty hot in the summer (because of the nonporousness), so perhaps they chose it because it would increase the effects of the dye.[/quote]

Not sure about the low porosity (i guess as a horse or cow you don't want too many pores near where you poo...) but I can tell you that just adding the word "cordovan" to any leather product allows you to jack the price up about $300-500 depending. Each horse/cow only got two butt cheeks with enough leather to approximately make 1 pair of shoes per animal.

In terms of dying ease, I'm pretty certain leather houses have it figured out since cordovan is utilized by so many different leather companies in full color ranges.

[/quote]

Cordovan is not the surfaceepidermis of the horse but a part that is more muscle than plain hide.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Quick question: do leather shirts (like carpe diem, M.A.+) stretch out at all?