X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Small questions thread

[quote user="StephenDaedalus"]I assume this is would be the right place to ask about care instructions for some Drkshdw tees. I have a few that say dry clean only on the tag, and another that states machine wash. They're simply cotton tees, so I was wondering why they would reccomend dry-cleaning. Any ideas? Thanks[/quote]

I think a lot of lines default to dry-clean-only just so they don't get hassled about the stuff getting pulled/deformed/stretched by people putting them in the washing machine.

Personally I just hand wash and gently stretch/reform all my rick tees to dry them on towels on the floor. Never had a single problem that way. I've yet to take anything to the dry cleaners in over a year.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• soultek
      • Feb 2007

[quote user="uparmoured"]Sadly yes... I put them on in a rush heading out and did a looong day of walking... After it all I looked down to see the broken portion and a busted lace in the process... My theory is that there was already a little tear in the hole that was ripped open over the day. It seems that hole section also delaminated from from the centre fabric portion... I'll take it to the shoe shop to see what they can do to fix it up... Otherwise I am still happy to wear them as they are, just skipping the dodgy hole... GRRR...[/quote]

wow, this is surprising. sux man. If it's any consolation, i had a pair of Alden cordovan shoes where the same thing happened (leather began to split). I sent them back after owning for 3 months.

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

A small question about button-stitching. Some of my shirts have parallel stitched buttons (two lines side by side, with one string attaching the two lines). Some have cross-stitched buttons. I've seen a few shirts, Lanvin, for example, that have arrow stitching (the stitch looks like an arrow, three lines radiating from the bottom button hole).

Does anyone know if one type is stitch is more durable than another? Is one type of stitch is easier to complete than another (the arrow-stitching looks more complicated)? In general, it seems like better shirts have cross-stitching on them, but I've seen a lot of very expensive shirts with parallel stitches.

Comment

• ean
          • Feb 2008

Hey R.R., I'm not really sure though I imagine it's probably mostly an aesthetic thing? I'll ask our tailor for his opinion when I go into work next week.

I have a small (hopefully?) question, though it might belong in the fashion media/designers and their works forums... Is there anywhere to find older runway collection shoots online? Like, Vivienne Westwood stuff from the 70s/80s, Ann Dem stuff from the 80s/90s etc? men.style.com generally doesn't go very far back, and gqstyle does for some stuff, but not everything I'd like it to. Any good fashion media sites that don't require me to pay an arm and a leg or be a student at a fashion school to get access to?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Ean, in general little photographic evidence survived from back then. Remember, there was no Internet and we were not obsessed with information as much. You can use a free site with sporadic info are contemporaryfashion.net for the Belgians. Look into how much catwalking.com costs. The good old days of firstview.com are over. Also, on some designer sites, you can see some collections going back quite a while - Raf Simons and Ann Demeulemeester have retrospectives.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ean
              • Feb 2008

Super awesome, thanks Faust. A world without internet and without information glut, what a horrible notion!

Comment

• kira
                • Mar 2008

Re: Small questions thread- reminiscence

yes, but it was nice to actually go to the library and have to page through books for hours and hours, your hand would hurt from writing so many notes. and the smell of books, love it.

to be able to be off the grid, no cell phone, you could just disappear for hours...

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

you are welcome, ean.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Huxley
                    • Dec 2007

I'm like a size 8.5/9, in DBSS, would a size 1 or 2 be better? Boots-wise.

Comment

• dji
                      • Feb 2008

what brands produce J-shaped jeans?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="dji"]what brands produce J-shaped jeans?
                        [/quote]

Attachment, Yurius, CCP and even Levi's Red Tab did a version.

The cut of the Attachment and CCP ones are the best. The Julius ones bell bottom out which is kinda nasty. The red tab versions are wider legged if I remember correctly. Pretty forgettable.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• dji
                          • Feb 2008

thanks for that chinorlz, I'll look into an attachment pair (main line or Kazuyuki Kumagai?). not balla enough for ccp yet [86]

hopefully the new julius jeans will be less flared this season. did n(n) do j-shaped jeans as well?

Comment

• KeijiHaino
                            • Dec 2006

store that sells new APC jeans and accepts paypal. ??

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

[quote user="KeijiHaino"]store that sells new APC jeans and accepts paypal. ??[/quote]

Paypal someone to pick them up for you?

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Servo2000
                                • Oct 2006

Does anyone know how difficult it is / how long it would take to hem the sleeve of a blazer like - an inch to half an inch? Closer to half an inch. It has buttons right near the edge of the sleeve but they're non-functional button-holes if that matters. Does it take longer to hem them from the shoulder? I need the thing in like two weeks and it looks absolutely fine how it is, but I figured if it could be done before then I might as well.
                                WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎