X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rei
    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Michael_Robartes View Post
    ii)Rumour is not true CCP do not re-dip the shoe and so i don't see how they are going to be long-lasting at all. In fact i have seen a shoe after long use and the rubber has fallen right off!
    Looks to me like the rubber is still there, just the dye on it that has been worn off. But that's just looking at the pic.

Comment

• blackfedora
      • Jan 2012

The rubber/polyurethane drip bottoms eventually wear down, but it takes a fair bit of use to get there. I got there though on one pair and had vibrams added as seen in this post. My cobbler had to carefully cut the edge of the vibram to match the shape properly, but it's worked out so far.

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
        • May 2013

Originally posted by Rei View Post
        Looks to me like the rubber is still there, just the dye on it that has been worn off. But that's just looking at the pic.
        Not sure i follow..
        You mean to say on the far left shoe the rubber hasn't actually fallen off of the shoe?
        i seem to remembering it was so.. but i could be wanting to think it that way!
        lemme check
        Quote "the black latex layer has peeled away on these to reveal the white cream under, the overall condition is very good with the soles nowhere near wearing through to the leather underneath,comes with bags/tags etc a now unique item I guess."

ANYONE seen this in black in a size 9-11?

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

the "dip" consists of a coloured layer and a non-coloured one, what you are seeing is the latter after the former has rubbed off

to answer your question, the rubber itself will last around the upper but can lose colour. the rubber on the sole will wear with time, but beneath it there is a leather sole, which can be resoled.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Rei
            • Oct 2011

Dye or layer of latex, either way. Not that familiar with the materials used, still has something rubberlike on top of the leather.

But do all of them have the cream underneath when worn enough? Or is it just with specific models/colors?

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
              • May 2013

I've looked at green, grey, white and black and all have this effect.
              Would love to see someone rocking the blue/yellow/green ones well but i don't see them anywhere on the internet!
              can it be done

Comment

• blackfedora
                • Jan 2012

I think that there were several experiments. I have an early 2010 iteration in green/grey that has a a thick layer of coloured (marbled grey and green) polyurethane (PU) over top of a cream PU coloured layer. Despite a fair amount of wear the cream is only poking through on the bottoms, but not anywhere else and there is no peeling effect.

The black pair that is shown in my link above, is black PU through and through.

While the pair in question that is peeling was probably first done in thick white/cream PU then lightly coated in black latex or another type of polymer that does not adhere very well with the first PU layer. I've seen this effect on non-footwear before.

There are also varients with three layers where the last coat is added for a speckled appearance.

Most importantly, there are differences between each batch as a result of the finicky nature of making PU. First, there is a small temperature window for proper polymerization to occur. Second, there is the requirement of a precise mixing ratio for the two components used when creating a PU. The last crux in the whole process is the highly reactive nature of the one of the two components, the bis-isocyanate monomer, which is very moisture sensitive. So if a barrel of that monomer is opening and closed several times or it's a humid day when the batch is getting brewed up, then one might end up getting a lesser polymer in the end product (i.e.: ccp drips that wear down faster than they should).

But as lowrey mentioned, there is a leather bottom underneath it all which can be vibramed when the fateful day arrives.
                Last edited by blackfedora; 02-23-2015, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Fenix
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
                  Most importantly, there are differences between each batch and thus the final product 'durability' because of the finicky nature of making a batch of PU. There is a small temperature window for proper polymerization to occur coupled with requirement of mixing the precise ratio of the two components when creating a PU. The last crux in the whole process is the highly reactive nature of the one of the two components, the bis-isocyanate monomer, which is very moisture sensitive. So if a barrel of that monomer is opening and closed several times or it's a humid day when the batch is getting brewed up, then one might end up getting a lesser polymer in the end product (i.e.: ccp drips that wear down faster than they should).
                  Next level dip analysis.

Robartes - seriously, you should probably skip them if you are that concerned. They are going to wear, scuff, change...evolve or devolve depending upon your mindset. You can't protect them as well as you can a standard boot but that's ok. I feel it's part of the process of owning and concept of the design. They have a good life span but if you're going to be pussy footing around town worrying about scuffing your 2k sneaks....is it worth it?
                  Originally posted by hausofblaq
                  Grow up.

Comment

• noirgt
                    • Oct 2012

I've never seen what's the leather sole really like under the rubber sole, but according to discription on ccp booklet, I believe they're just same construction as any other leather sole sneakers like A1923 (I might be wrong). After half-year wear, mine still look pretty good with some discoloration on rubber which I really love. The drips are almost all gone but I don't really care. The soles are still good so I believe they still have long lives left.

Comment

• jumpoff
                      • Jan 2008

Can anyone recommend a place to get a jacket re-dyed in London?

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by noirgt View Post
                        I believe they're just same construction as any other leather sole sneakers like A1923 (I might be wrong).
                        A1923 sneakers have rubber soles..?
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• xeraphim
                          • Nov 2008

looking around for long shirts, any suggestions? already had a look at current season ann/comme/yohji.

Comment

• exterminatingphantom
                            • Sep 2012

Can any of you recommend any camera/laptop bags?
                            I like the incase sling bags, but would prefer to have something a little nicer and maybe edgier.

Right now I'm using a Cote Et Ciel twin touch isar backpack which has a nice dramatic shape to it, but it's just a bag, no pockets for camera stuff, etc.

I'd also like to hear some of your thoughts regarding backpacks and messenger bags, sling bags, etc. I feel like backpacks are a bit immature, but are better for your back while messenger bags look a little more grown up but aren't very comfortable.

Thanks!

Comment

• k3mist
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by xeraphim View Post
                              looking around for long shirts, any suggestions? already had a look at current season ann/comme/yohji.
                              do you need one from current season?
                              sick yohji one here,
                              Yohji Yamamoto "Priest Shirt" in black wool gabardine. HO-B12-100 NOT THE COTTON VERSION! Beautiful and elegant drape, concealed and lined pockets. Curved hem. Collar band, cuff bands and inner placket are lined in a satin fabric. Chest pocket. Exquisite item, immaculate condition. Size 1 SOLD SO...

Comment

• Castor
                                • Nov 2009

Anyone have any issues with orders from Antonioli or Luisa Via Roma getting hit with customs/duties in the US? It's been a while since I ordered form either site.
                                Originally posted by DRRRK
                                The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎