Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jskidder1
    • Jan 2011

i have dozens of rick t's and i wash and machine dry all of them regularly, no delicates bags. never had an issue, even have some in my rotation that are 4 years old , washed 100 times and still snag-free.

i do have a front load machine though, which tends to be more gentle on clothing. i would be more cautious if using a top loading machine because those things beat the hell out of your garments.

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by jskidder1 View Post
      i have dozens of rick t's and i wash and machine dry all of them regularly, no delicates bags. never had an issue, even have some in my rotation that are 4 years old , washed 100 times and still snag-free.

i do have a front load machine though, which tends to be more gentle on clothing. i would be more cautious if using a top loading machine because those things beat the hell out of your garments.

You mean machines with a central agitator, I presume. It's true, more accidents happen when clothes become snagged / caught on them. But not all top-load machines automatically come with them; I have a Fisher-Paykel top load without a central agitator and it's very gentle.

Edit: I'd still never wash one of my Rick tees on the regular cycle, at least not with other clothes, because it's the friction as garments rub against each other that perpetuates pilling and makes clothes look more "worn" than they may be. If I'm too lazy to wash by hand, I'll wash them alone on the delicate cycle.

I'm not going to risk what I can't afford to lose.
      sain't

Comment

• jskidder1
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
        You mean machines with a central agitator, I presume. It's true, more accidents happen when clothes become snagged / caught on them. But not all top-load machines automatically come with them; I have a Fisher-Paykel top load without a central agitator and it's very gentle.

Edit: I'd still never wash one of my Rick tees on the regular cycle, at least not with other clothes, because it's the friction as garments rub against each other that perpetuates pilling and makes clothes look more "worn" than they may be. If I'm too lazy to wash by hand, I'll wash them alone on the delicate cycle.

I'm not going to risk what I can't afford to lose.
        ah yes, that thing in the middle is what causes the problems. i should also note that i don't wash them with other unlike garments, but i have been known to throw 20 or so t's and tanks in together and haven't experienced any pilling on the unstable cotton stuff. i do see pilling on the silk/viscose stuff, but i kind of prefer them that way as they seem a bit too formal until they get roughed up a bit. its snags that i look to avoid, but those tend to occur due to wearer recklessness and not so much in the wash. at least for me.

Comment

• messenoire
          • Nov 2009

ah yes, that thing in the middle is what causes the problems. i should also note that i don't wash them with other unlike garments, but i have been known to throw 20 or so t's and tanks in together and haven't experienced any pilling on the unstable cotton stuff. i do see pilling on the silk/viscose stuff, but i kind of prefer them that way as they seem a bit too formal until they get roughed up a bit. its snags that i look to avoid, but those tend to occur due to wearer recklessness and not so much in the wash. at least for me.
          speaking of the formal thing, have you owned rick 100% silk tees? i have 2 of them and theyve hung on my rack since i got them. every time i try to put one on i feel like i am wearing under armor. out of curiosity what do you wear yours with?

Comment

• jskidder1
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
            speaking of the formal thing, have you owned rick 100% silk tees? i have 2 of them and theyve hung on my rack since i got them. every time i try to put one on i feel like i am wearing under armor. out of curiosity what do you wear yours with?
            never had the all silk stuff, but if i did i'd probably try it with some texture on the bottom half. not sure though.

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

jskidder1 - exactly right on the blends. Mine have all pilled, though to be fair, I've worn them into the ground and washed them more times than I can count. They don't like water.

The unstable cotton ones, which are quite stable (unless you wear rings or bracelets, or look at them wrong) aren't affected. The first few snags / holes are ok, but once they go they go quickly, and looking like I've been mauled by a grizzly bear isn't the look I'm going for. At least not in public.

Also agree with you on how to pair the silk 'under armor'. Something rough to counteract the smooth is the way to balance.
              sain't

Comment

• cjbreed
                • Feb 2009

i send my tees to bangladesh to be handwashed by 4 year olds in tiny buckets filled with human tears. their own tears.

so far no issues

just kidding. been reading a bit about sweatshops and child labor in fashion so its on my mind...its awful.
                Last edited by cjbreed; 12-19-2013, 05:20 PM.
                dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• interest1
                  • Nov 2008

you're horrible.
                  sain't

Comment

• Bleu1950
                    • Jan 2013

Dressing up for wedding party

Has anyone dressed full black in friend's wedding party? Have a couple of great suits to wear but just not sure if i should add some color to the mix. Dont want my friends to feel that i am wearing clothed for funnel or something.. Have a great BBS and Julius suit but just not sure how to wear them

Many thanks
                    T

Comment

• twmllr
                      • Sep 2013

Doesn't it shrink when you dry them in the machine? Should I just hang dry them?

Comment

• guardimp
                        • Jun 2010

I machine wash mine but hang them dry and get no shrinkage. I tried machine drying one before and it got all these cool creases. It looked rippled, but that came out next time i washed it.

Comment

• jskidder1
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by twmllr View Post
                          Doesn't it shrink when you dry them in the machine? Should I just hang dry them?
                          they don't shrink any smaller than their original size. i have dried on both low and normal heat, neither have had a negative impact.

Comment

• messenoire
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by twmllr View Post
                            shape them and dry them flat. the weight on unstable cotton isnt too good for the shape.

Comment

• twmllr
                              • Sep 2013

^yup, i figured I should dry them flat, thanks!

Comment

• noirgt
                                • Oct 2012

they don't shrink any smaller than their original size. i have dried on both low and normal heat, neither have had a negative impact.
                                From my experience, the first few times you wash you cotton clothes in washer and tumble them, they'll hold shapes and not worse than handwashing. However after maybe 5 or 6 times, you'll see them start to get "very worn".... never use a washer if you value your stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎