• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shucks
    • Aug 2010

it most likely went red (i.e. very diluted black dye) for two reasons:

1. temperature (much) too low,
    2. natural fiber dye not taken by synthetic component of material

you need a specific 'disperse dye' for polyester, or maybe try crayola's iron-on fabric crayons - i have not used them myself. note that disperse dyeing requires very high temp (may affect fabric) and is complicated.

Comment

• drizzly
      Banned
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
      Therein lies the problem. The pants themselves are of course cotton (with some elastane) and they are black as black.
      The white bits are a cotton / poly mix (roughly 50/50 i think). I knew it wouldn't take the full colour, but I didn't expect it to go red either.
      Lowrey, I used normal Dylon Black Velvet machine dye. Supposed to use it at 40ºC but I did it at 30ºC because I thought the higher temp might screw something else up.
      is it possible to cut it off? it looks like that lining goes on top of the pants so if its gone you will still have cool pants.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
        it most likely went red (i.e. very diluted black dye) for two reasons:

1. temperature (much) too low,
        2. natural fiber dye not taken by synthetic component of material

you need a specific 'disperse dye' for polyester, or maybe try crayola's iron-on fabric crayons - i have not used them myself. note that disperse dyeing requires very high temp (may affect fabric) and is complicated.
        agreed... since it took some color, you may get it a bit darker by upping the temperature to 40 and using at least one pack of dye and plenty of salt, but it probably wont go fully black.

if the color is totally f'd up and makes them unusable, I'd consider removing the panels if its possible, or if you want to go further, have a tailor replicate the panels in black fabric. that of course might cost quite a bit...
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mrbeuys
          • May 2008

Yes. I think that might be the only option but also silly for cost reasons.
          Taking them off is not an option really as they form part of the structure of the pants. I might just wear them as is and add some colour to my life and get on with it.
          Or I plastidip them. :)
          Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
            Yes. I think that might be the only option but also silly for cost reasons.
            Taking them off is not an option really as they form part of the structure of the pants. I might just wear them as is and add some colour to my life and get on with it.
            Or I plastidip them. :)
            Photos?

Would be curious to see what they look like at this point.
            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• TBFieulaine
              • Dec 2013

Hey, I recently copped some old Julius curved leg/j-shaped pants and was thinking about tapering them on the leg opening. I was wondering, if I take these pants to a tailor, does tailor need to do anything differently to taper these curved pants as opposed to normal ones? Like, does there need to be special instructions? If so, what are the methods to tapering curved/j pants?

Comment

• Ahimsa
                Vegan Police
                • Sep 2011

Does anyone know what Julius uses to wax their denim? e.g. beeswax, synthetic, etc.
                StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• k3mist
                  • Apr 2013

ive never heard of synthetic waxing of clothes. im probably gonna say its beeswax/paraffin (probably a blend). Try making a mark wiht your nails, if it produces a white streak its probably a natural wax.

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by TBFieulaine View Post
                    Hey, I recently copped some old Julius curved leg/j-shaped pants and was thinking about tapering them on the leg opening. I was wondering, if I take these pants to a tailor, does tailor need to do anything differently to taper these curved pants as opposed to normal ones? Like, does there need to be special instructions? If so, what are the methods to tapering curved/j pants?
                    I think this will definitely prove to be more labor intensive (and challenging) than you might think. I don't know what season you're referring to, but if by old you mean goth:ik or somewhere around there, there are a couple of things to consider. One, their natural form is slightly flared. Two there are multiple long panels comprising each leg, and the panels are twisted or turned... I would imagine you would need to rip the stitches (all 4 or 6, can't remember exactly how they are) +/-6 in up, depending on your desired taper, trim each panel appropriately, and then restitch the whole mess.

Comment

• braver
                      • Sep 2013

Anyone owned these A1923 / Adiciannoveventitre boots?

I worry about that short ankle.
                      Is it ok, no problem wearing?
                      What's the idea of such ankle cut? Just the design?
                      Any fit pics maybe?
                      Last edited by braver; 03-25-2014, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• lowrey
                        ventiundici
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TBFieulaine View Post
                        just go and ask. difficult to say without knowing the exact cut. if the seams are fairly straight regardless of the curve, taking in one seam might be enough, but if the seams are really slanted it will require a bit more work.
                        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• stereophobic
                          • Aug 2009

does l'eclaireur only conduct online sales through that one e-commerce platform I refuse to name? looking to see if I can do direct e-mail and get a better deal like some other stores who are on the same platform do.
                          An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.

Comment

• macutay
                            • Jun 2013

Recently moved to NY, was hoping someone could direct me to a solid seamstress for working on some jeans (boris bidjan saberi to be specific).

I had them hemmed just before I left CA and noticed now they flare a bit, just wanted to remedy this by having them tapered.

Comment

• newp
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by stereophobic View Post
                              does l'eclaireur only conduct online sales through that one e-commerce platform I refuse to name? looking to see if I can do direct e-mail and get a better deal like some other stores who are on the same platform do.
                              Never ordered from it myself, but http://shop.leclaireur.com/ has a cart, is called an eshop and asks for billing/shipping address at a checkout, no redirection to the pay-an-extra-20%-and-no-customer-service platform was detected.
                              Last edited by newp; 03-24-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• en0rm
                                • May 2010

i want to dye my Rick drkshdw Pod shorts black...does anybody happen to know if the seams are cotton or nylon? dont really want the seams to stay gray
                                or if there is an easy way to determine if there synthetic..
                                thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎