X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lohikaarme
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by apathy! View Post
    What do you actually mean by "quality". Very few clothing brands actually produce stuff that falls apart.
    Quality is indeed a nebulous term. I guess it would refer to stuff like:

Loose stitches

Quality control

Suitability in it's purpose (i.e. is the warm jacket actually warm)

Trueness to aesthetic (If I look like the model, will the clothes drape on me just as well as him)

Quality of zippers/buttons/etc.

Fabric quality (is it itchy or is super sheer (when it shouldn't be), will I end up causing a tear by rubbing it with my pointy necklace by accident, etc.)

Comment

• shima
      • Jan 2009

Is it possible to somehow dye a Faliero Sarti scarf? It says Dry clean only, which scares me off from dying it. Wanting to dye one from brown to black, but afraid that it'd ruin the beautiful fabrics.

Comment

• kanne
        • Jun 2009

That would depend on the fabric composition. What's it made of?

Also it's usually easier to dye from lighter to darker colors. From my experience, brown to black would leave you with a darker brown (maybe almost black) - but it will be very hard to achieve a pitch black.

Comment

• shima
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by kanne View Post
          That would depend on the fabric composition. What's it made of?
          Composition is
          70% Virginwool
          30% Silk

Comment

• k3mist
            • Apr 2013

Lohikaarme it is hard for me to judge as a whole but the cotton stuff i got from her is similar to the organic cotton stuff from Silent.

shima highly not recommended to dye such a combination more so if this is your first time dyeing anything. Dyeing wool is tedious to say the least. Find a professional maybe if you really want to dye it.

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by shima View Post
              Composition is
              70% Virginwool
              30% Silk
              It can be dyed and you get good results

dyeing wool in black is relatively easy if you know how and have the right tools, silk and wool is fine as they are both animal based fibres and takes the same type of dye.

the only drawback is the scarf may shrink a little in the sdyeing process so be mindful of that.........
              “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• shima
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                It can be dyed and you get good results

dyeing wool in black is relatively easy if you know how and have the right tools, silk and wool is fine as they are both animal based fibres and takes the same type of dye.

the only drawback is the scarf may shrink a little in the sdyeing process so be mindful of that.........
                Might be taking it to a professional.

Unless you could explain the process? What kind of dye should be used, and how? And yeah, would expect a bit of shrinkage from it. As long as it feels similarily I think I'd be fine with it.

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                  • Jul 2013

What's the source of the banner image?

Comment

• LelandJ
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2014

zamb,

I've only seen fitpics of your pants in black or maybe charcoal grey. Do you offer regular grey or medium to dark brown pants?

Comment

• ian+
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LelandJ View Post
                      zamb,

I've only seen fitpics of your pants in black or maybe charcoal grey. Do you offer regular grey or medium to dark brown pants?
                      black, charcoal, ice gray, maroon and army green to my knowledge
                      ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

Comment

• Picasso
                        • Jul 2013

Q: Got a brown Julius moto jacket, can i dye it black and what's the best dye to avoid fading in the future?

Comment

• Ulf
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by shima View Post
                          Is it possible to somehow dye a Faliero Sarti scarf? It says Dry clean only, which scares me off from dying it. Wanting to dye one from brown to black, but afraid that it'd ruin the beautiful fabrics.
                          You can try Nitor Allfärg. It might be a good idea to add a touch of navy to the black, depending on your desired result. You need a very large pot and a thermometer.

You dissolve the dye in 1 l of hot water, empty it into a large pot and add 7-10 l of cold water. Also add vinegar (1 dl ättika or 2 dl white wine vinegar) and then the wet item you're dying. Heat up to 80–90°C while stirring (carefully, unless you want to end up with a felted clump) and keep dying at this temp for 40 minutes. Let cool.

Rinse several times, first in warm water and then gradually cooler until there is no more excess dye. Add 0,5 dl white wine vinegar in the last lukewarm rinse to set the dye. Done.

It takes a bit of effort, but it really is a simple process.
                          Last edited by Ulf; 05-20-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• macutay
                            • Jun 2013

Any owners of the http://shop.zambarrett.com/bottoms/s...m-shorts-black ? How do you like them?

Was thinking of getting these and making them my staple summer shorts. I've mostly been only wearing my Guidi 988's everyday and wanted something other than pants for the summer that would go well with them.

Comment

• rider
                              eyes of the world
                              • Jun 2009

I need the name of someone that can dye a rick owens cotton coat that got sunbleached streaks from being in the back of my car. stupid, stupid, stupid me...
                              its army green cotton with dust color streaks now.
                              New York City would be preferable since I would drop it off and talk to the person about color options but I am leaning towards a slate grey.

my concerns with dying is that it will run onto other clothing, so it needs to be a colorfast process that positively wont run. I dont know much about the dying process to know what is the best method.

please help my poor coat look good again...thanks in advance.

Comment

• lazyguru
                                • Jun 2008

Rider , your best bet is goign to be
                                Colibri Textiles Dyeing Inc
                                38 W 32nd St # 1500 New York, NY 10001
                                (212) 967-0919

He is excellent at his job & will let you pick colors that are possible from a swatch book & iam sure you might run into other memebers there. DO NOT go to the other other place MEtro dyeing despite them being cheaper , they have a horrible attitude & the results are always sub par.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎