• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drizzly
    Banned
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by magic View Post
    ROOMS is better for sneakers imo. Boots and derby I will go for more heavy and structured ones like the horse leather.
    whatcha think of bison for ccp boots?

Comment

• eton97
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
      whatcha think of bison for ccp boots?
      Excellent. Relatively thick and a touch more spongy than horse. You do get quite a bit of texture in the leather vs some horse leathers like LUC. SBUC and CUBS (horse) are generally more scarred than LUC.
      you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

• drizzly
        Banned
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
        Excellent. Relatively thick and a touch more spongy than horse. You do get quite a bit of texture in the leather vs some horse leathers like LUC. SBUC and CUBS (horse) are generally more scarred than LUC.
        can you expand on what you mean by spongy? like more absorbent of moisture or ....

Comment

• blackfedora
          • Jan 2012

I believe Eton meant that BUIS is spongy in the sense that it has some degree of plushness, like a very high density foam. At least that is my experience with it. Walking in bison boots is more comfortable (and quiet) than walking in any of the above mentioned horse leathers from Carol.
          It also does absorb more water per cubic unit than horse leather, but that stops once the leather is thoroughly oiled. The downside is that it is less resistant to scratching and scuffs that horse, but that is the expected trade-off.

Comment

• drizzly
            Banned
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
            I believe Eton meant that BUIS is spongy in the sense that it has some degree of plushness, like a very high density foam. At least that is my experience with it. Walking in bison boots is more comfortable (and quiet) than walking in any of the above mentioned horse leathers from Carol.
            It also does absorb more water per cubic unit than horse leather, but that stops once the leather is thoroughly oiled. The downside is that it is less resistant to scratching and scuffs that horse, but that is the expected trade-off.
            Thanks buddy. I personally like the resistance to scratching and scuffs property of horse but love the graining of bison. I already have horse so i guess bison would be a good selection.

How is kangaroo with scratches and scuffs?

Comment

• destroymebaby
              • Aug 2012

Listen to this gent. I can confirm that his words are absolutely true when it comes to bison. Had a pair of tornados and spongy is the word to describe them - grainy, soft and spongy. Loved it.

Originally posted by drizzly View Post
              How is kangaroo with scratches and scuffs?
              As mentioned kangaroo is lighter, softer and thus more prone to scratches and wrinkles. At least that's my personal experience.
              The morning is not enough.

Comment

• drizzly
                Banned
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by destroymebaby View Post
                Listen to this gent. I can confirm that his words are absolutely true when it comes to bison. Had a pair of tornados and spongy is the word to describe them - grainy, soft and spongy. Loved it.
                As mentioned kangaroo is lighter, softer and thus more prone to scratches and wrinkles. At least that's my personal experience.
                Yes i know all of the above, i was the one to reply with that info . I wasn't sure about the resilience though so now i am fairly clear.

IME horse > all else for resilience.

But i would be curious what other people think in terms of CCP leather offers. i think its something like this (not counting treatment)
                Horse > bison > Kangaroo

idk what else he offers for footwear the above 3 are the only ones i am aware of right now.

Comment

• noirgt
                  • Oct 2012

Horse butt is truly the toughest leather. Bison is too grainy and "spongy" to my personal taste. Bison boots look gigantic comparing to other kinds of leather. Kangaroo leather is actually much tougher than you think it would be. Very high density and very strong. I have a pair of kangaroo derby from A1923 and pair of ROOMS prosthetic boots from CCP and I love them. So light and so comfy! Minor scratches will go away easily by applying some oil on. Also if you want to order anything with titanium, ROOMS and ROOLS might be your only choice (I could be wrong but I've never seen horse/bison with titanium)

Comment

• blackfedora
                    • Jan 2012

The titanium workboot is almost exclusively done in CUBS and BIUS. I've also seen the u-sole titanium tornado in horse (i think it was SBUC or LUC).

Strangely of my 3 tornadoes (CUL, CUBS and BUIS), the BUIS is by far the smallest looking. However, I think it's batch dependant, so you will just have to accept whatever comes out of the dye vat if you custom order.

Comment

• noirgt
                      • Oct 2012

Right, I've seen CUBS workboots before. Never seen any one-piece tornado in SBUC or LUC yet, but a friend of mine special ordered a pair of one-piece usole tornado in CORS, so horse leather should work for titanium too I assume.

And yes the look of the boots really depends on the batch. The pair bison tornado looks huge. They're size 8 but look like size 10 because the leather is damn thick and spongy.

Comment

• drizzly
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by noirgt View Post
                        Horse butt is truly the toughest leather. Bison is too grainy and "spongy" to my personal taste. Bison boots look gigantic comparing to other kinds of leather. Kangaroo leather is actually much tougher than you think it would be. Very high density and very strong. I have a pair of kangaroo derby from A1923 and pair of ROOMS prosthetic boots from CCP and I love them. So light and so comfy! Minor scratches will go away easily by applying some oil on. Also if you want to order anything with titanium, ROOMS and ROOLS might be your only choice (I could be wrong but I've never seen horse/bison with titanium)
                        Interesting. I guess the scarring/graining add some sort of a visual characteristic that increases the perception of size. Honestly, my sbuc look really big.

How do you find bison resilience, do scratches buff out easiest? I ask all this because i have a pair on order and my pet peeve on shoes is scratches/creasing. So far my current sbuc held up really well and look about the same as when i got them in jan 13.

The titanium workboot is almost exclusively done in CUBS and BIUS. I've also seen the u-sole titanium tornado in horse (i think it was SBUC or LUC).

Strangely of my 3 tornadoes (CUL, CUBS and BUIS), the BUIS is by far the smallest looking. However, I think it's batch dependant, so you will just have to accept whatever comes out of the dye vat if you custom order.
                        which are your favorite? which do you find most resilient, i assume CUL.

Comment

• imblurredout
                          • Apr 2013

I have a pair of reverse leather RO creepers that I'm very fond of. They're nearly a year old now, and the shaft has stretched/stacked from normal wear. I'm beginning to dislike the width of the shaft now. Would having the boots washed and cleaned help restore the slim fit of the shaft? Is there anyway of restoring the fit without damaging the leather?

Comment

• dduyyy
                            • Jul 2014

How do you guys keep warm in the winter? Last winter i wear 2 layers of tee, a sweater if needed in the colder days with a coat/leather jacket but that didnt seem to be enough. In my place the temperature rarely get under 10 degree but the moisture is damn high, so that make you feel much colder.

Comment

• xeraphim
                              • Nov 2008

get some thermal base layers.

Comment

• braver
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by dduyyy View Post
                                How do you guys keep warm in the winter?
                                Wear wool instead of coton, it will keep your heat inside!
                                Also, try to defend your entire body from cold, including feet (socks and footwear), head, neck, ets. One small hole in your body armour will push the cold inside!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎