X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fadetogrey
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by zamb View Post
    there are some buttonhole attachments that can work with the Juki, that you can buy, I will try to find a link and send to you,
    Also depending on what kind of space you havem there are some industrial sergers that come on a really small table, I have a pearl merrow, with one of these tables...............
    fortunately for me, i have all i need,
    bartack, straight stitch ovelock, Keyhole buttonhole and all..............
    a mini factory, will post picks of my studio one of these days.........
    Oh, that would be great! I didn't know those existed, especially for an industrial machine.

Lucky you with all those machines! (Something I miss about school) I wish I had more space, or the ability to rent a small studio, but I only sew for fun doing my own experiments or making a few things for myself, so I can't justify it.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
      • Jan 2007

With all the (entirely justified) dislike for domestic machines I feel kind of stupid asking this, but what would you guys recommend as a good domestic machine? The reason I'm asking is that I'll be living in a dorm room for two more years and thus don't have the necessary space for an industrial machine.
      Originally posted by jogu
      i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• crz
        • Apr 2008

i dont know what other people's opinions are, but i've heard the older the better (as long as it's in working condition of course). apparently they're more reliable / stronger?
        singer & bernina are good

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
          • Jan 2007

It seems the going rate is about 350GBP for a 3.0, and 400GBP for a 4.0.

So far the main differences that I've found between the 3.0 and the 4.0 so far is that the 4.0 has a needle threader (a big deal according to many reviews), and some extra "creative" settings.

One complaint about the Pfaff select that I'm seeing frequently is the bobbin. Have you had any issues with that?
          i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
            if you're buying domestic, get a Pfaff.
            Pfaff is a 150 year old german manufacturer now owned by a Swedish company..?

I have no idea about their new machines, but I have this Pfaff from the 60's-70's and its a gem. it cost €150 serviced and works much better than most modern chunks of plastic

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• beforehewentmad
              • Apr 2008

sewing machine

Figured I'd stop lurking and contribute to this thread I started... In some supernatural act of destiny I came across this machine the very morning that I was about to head into the garment district for a machine. 1/2hp motor on a sewing table, perfect running order from my local dry cleaner who didn't have room for it. I had gone into the restaurant next door for breakfast and saw this machine sitting in the window with a "for sale" sign on my way to the car. $100.00 and it was mine.

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                Pfaff is a 150 year old german manufacturer now owned by a Swedish company..?
                From what I've gathered, "domestic" means "not industrial".

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

ohhh, I've never heard that term, though it makes sense as opposed to industrial
                  "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ProfMonnitoff View Post
                    From what I've gathered, "domestic" means "not industrial".
                    Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
                    ohhh, I've never heard that term, though it makes sense as opposed to industrial
                    Yes it means not industrial, kind of, in its proper context it means a machine made for "domestic" (household) use, for someone who does non professional sewing.
                    there are also semi-industrial machines, that are somewhat more durable than a domestic machine, but not made for consistent commercial use.

the beauty of domestic machines is the versatility that they offer, where a single machine can give you enough type of stitches to complete most garments (preferably of light to medium weight fabrics)
                    if you need speed or durability, and a better quality stitch though, you have to go industrial, especially for fabrics like denim or heavy weight wool.........

I have an entire studio setup, with a wide range of machines, both Japanese and german.....................
                    I will post some images and the types in a few days...........
                    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• eat me
                      • May 2009

Zamb, do you do orders from other designers/would you consider it? Or is your studio for personal use only?

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                        Zamb, do you do orders from other designers/would you consider it? Or is your studio for personal use only?
                        Yes, i do orders from other designers,
                        the Studio serves three Functions,

1. We are a contractor for Patterns and Samples for Small independent designers,

2. We do Custom Projects for private Clients

3. it is a studio for my own collections............

Jus contact me if you need our services........

Comment

• eat me
                          • May 2009

will do sir :P

Comment

• LiveinblacK
                            • Nov 2011

Originally posted by zamb View Post
                            beforehewentmad,

Welcome to SZ, and thanks Albert.

Basically i think for sampling, if you can find a good used machine it is better than investing in a brand new machine, as you are going to get the same results from both.

what do you mean by a stretch stitch option, are you speaking of the Zig-zag stitch on some semi-industrial Machines?

my recommendation would be if you are going to make samples you need basicaly one JUKI straight stich and a five thread indusrtial Overlock for finishing edges and sewing cut and sew knits. anything outside of these two (except a buttonholder , which is very expensive, you dont need right now

I am just starting out myself and already own a juki single needle and i am looking to purchase an overlock . So was wondering why you recommend a 5 thread overlock as oppose to a 3 or 4 thread, what are the differences, advantages, etc?

Comment

• zamb
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by LiveinblacK View Post
                              I am just starting out myself and already own a juki single needle and i am looking to purchase an overlock . So was wondering why you recommend a 5 thread overlock as oppose to a 3 or 4 thread, what are the differences, advantages, etc?
                              It depends on what you want to do

a five thread overlock is generally more versatile than a four or three thread.
                              you can use the five thread like a three by removing one of the needles or just the thread from the needle but you cannot go up to get the chain stitch on a five thread using a three.

I think that a four thread is the best for sewing knits a five thread a close second and the three thread is OK but limited in terms of quality for cut and sew knits

the three thread is best for finishing the edges on wovens

I have several overlock machine in my studio and they appropriated according to project

Comment

• LiveinblacK
                                • Nov 2011

thanks for enlightening me

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎