Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elephantstone
    • Jan 2011

I'm about to graduate this summer but still have no idea about my life. So miserable now.

Most of my colleagues got jobs in IB,Consulting firms. But I have never been interested in the idea of being a banker. Though I cannot say I wasn't lured by the prospect of huge paychecks.
    I interned at Accenture before as a tech-consultant. While I don't hate the job, it's nothing exciting and of my interests.

Was intended to go for graduate study in Transportation Engineering but I'm in hesitation now. I'm not so worry about getting paid much fewer than my friends are. The problem is I might not even find a job in this area. As a foreigner I find it really hard to get jobs in Civil related areas in US. Most of the jobs available for foreigners are Finance and IT related, which I have no huge love of. As much as I want to pursue my personal interests, it may come to the time to face realities.

I'm currently considering to take a gap year while helping my friend with her startup company. Will also reapply graduate schools for broader options. Guess i still need time to consider where my future shall held.

Sigh, wish I'm still a freshman with no worries of future. But guess that's just life

Comment

• andrew
      • Sep 2009

After 3 1/2 years I have just finished as pattern cutter and studio manager for JeanPierre Braganza and now am trying to figure out what to do with my life. Sort of torn between trying to find work with smaller labels (varied and fun but for little money) or go for a bigger company and finally earn a living but not be so involved in the overall label. In my darkest moments I've even considered applying to all saints: spend my time ripping of the brands I love so I can support and wear the same brands or alternatively work for those brands and have to continue to live in my home made stuff? Oh bitter irony.

Seriously though if anyone needs a freelance patterncutter in the time it takes me to figure my life out then let me know, meanwhile I think its time to start sending out cvs en mass to see what's available. I haven't ruled out NY yet but Paris seems more feasable if I can't find what I want in London

Comment

• mononon
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
        Mononon.....I have been working in the biz for 15+yrs now...and believe me i wouldn't have a chance getting in now - I do a lot of grad intereviewing and the calibre is mind-blowing....
        i saw that you applied to half a dozen firms for summer internships
        1) don't lose faith - its still one of the most competitive sectors to get into
        2) why half a dozen? - you should be applying to 30+

You, nictan (and PITA) should all reconsider a career in investment banking - you will have no life.......broking/trading far more fun!

thanks eton. yeah it is super tough to get in. i only applied to so few because i just declared my concentration / emphasis as corporate finance, so i'm pretty new to this, although next year is my senior year. thanks for the advice though. i am willing to have no life for 2 years though
        calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• nictan
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by eton97 View Post
          Mononon.....I have been working in the biz for 15+yrs now...and believe me i wouldn't have a chance getting in now - I do a lot of grad intereviewing and the calibre is mind-blowing....
          i saw that you applied to half a dozen firms for summer internships
          1) don't lose faith - its still one of the most competitive sectors to get into
          2) why half a dozen? - you should be applying to 30+

You, nictan (and PITA) should all reconsider a career in investment banking - you will have no life.......broking/trading far more fun!

Comment

• mononon
            • Sep 2009

^lol, the I want to work at goldman sachs one is even funnier hehehe
            calvinc - "Found this place and omg the people here are so cool and they dress super ultra mega well!"

Comment

• nictan
              • Jul 2009

yea i watched that too. hahah. thought this was more appropriate.

Comment

• Wiggles
                • Sep 2008

perhaps this is the place to post this question.

i'm going to be studying abroad in paris this year, starting in september, and i was wondering if anyone on here needs/knows anyone that needs an intern? i'm starting my third year at NYU (the Gallatin school, if that means anything to you) this fall, making my own concentration/major (studying the intersection of reality and art, and how art impacts/changes the individual's personality or persona - i'm calling it self reinvention and societal consciousness (for now)). i basically just want to be as involved in the paris fashion world as possible, as i love to be busy and get out in cities and meet people that way.

i have work experience in pr, buying, fashion editorials, and as a stylist's assistant for some very reputable names here in NYC and abroad, who would happily recommend me or be a reference. can speak conversational french and german, fluent english (obviously).

if anyone knows anyone or needs someone themselves, please let me know. i'd be happy to send my CV over and chat about any opportunities. (open to most things now, but would be especially interested in buying/styling assisting opportunities)

Comment

• Phantom
                  • Mar 2011

student, studying psychology. on my 2nd year now.

Comment

• trentk
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Wiggles View Post
                    perhaps this is the place to post this question.

i'm going to be studying abroad in paris this year, starting in september, and i was wondering if anyone on here needs/knows anyone that needs an intern? i'm starting my third year at NYU (the Gallatin school, if that means anything to you) this fall, making my own concentration/major (studying the intersection of reality and art, and how art impacts/changes the individual's personality or persona - i'm calling it self reinvention and societal consciousness (for now)). i basically just want to be as involved in the paris fashion world as possible, as i love to be busy and get out in cities and meet people that way.

i have work experience in pr, buying, fashion editorials, and as a stylist's assistant for some very reputable names here in NYC and abroad, who would happily recommend me or be a reference. can speak conversational french and german, fluent english (obviously).

if anyone knows anyone or needs someone themselves, please let me know. i'd be happy to send my CV over and chat about any opportunities. (open to most things now, but would be especially interested in buying/styling assisting opportunities)
                    small world. I almost decided to study abroad in paris this semester. And I know atleast one person who you'll be taking classes with next semester. A sophomore art history major in cas.
                    "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• cmitso412
                      • Feb 2010

Very small world. A friend just finished a semester in Paris and I just finished one in Madrid.

Originally posted by trentk View Post
                      small world. I almost decided to study abroad in paris this semester. And I know atleast one person who you'll be taking classes with next semester. A sophomore art history major in cas.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

something about the idea of majoring in self reinvention is incredibly awesome. imagine how that looks on a CV...you da man!
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                          • Oct 2010

[QUOTE=Wiggles;315308]perhaps this is the place to post this question.

i'm calling it self reinvention and societal consciousness (for now)). i basically just want to be as involved in the paris fashion world as possible, as i love to be busy and get out in cities and meet people that way.

We call that course "power, identity, resistance"...

MBD
                          "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                          It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                          My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• mingrui
                            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by elephantstone View Post
                            I'm about to graduate this summer but still have no idea about my life. So miserable now.

Most of my colleagues got jobs in IB,Consulting firms. But I have never been interested in the idea of being a banker. Though I cannot say I wasn't lured by the prospect of huge paychecks.
                            I interned at Accenture before as a tech-consultant. While I don't hate the job, it's nothing exciting and of my interests.

Was intended to go for graduate study in Transportation Engineering but I'm in hesitation now. I'm not so worry about getting paid much fewer than my friends are. The problem is I might not even find a job in this area. As a foreigner I find it really hard to get jobs in Civil related areas in US. Most of the jobs available for foreigners are Finance and IT related, which I have no huge love of. As much as I want to pursue my personal interests, it may come to the time to face realities.

I'm currently considering to take a gap year while helping my friend with her startup company. Will also reapply graduate schools for broader options. Guess i still need time to consider where my future shall held.

Sigh, wish I'm still a freshman with no worries of future. But guess that's just life
                            I'm in my junior year, I can relate. Good luck!

Comment

• cowsareforeating
                              • Jan 2011

^ im about to graduate at the end of the calendar year or march... a few quarters ahead of schedule.

can't do much with a bio degree without grad school -_____-
                              i feel too opinionated for my own good.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
                                i feel too opinionated for my own good.
                                this was and is my problem, continues to be. don't let this trait take you down the wrong decisions while you're still young and got the beginning of your adult life ahead of you. don't want to sound like a mother but the choices you make now can be profoundly influential on how the days ahead pan out. If only I knew this then.
                                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎