• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: tokyo & kyoto shops

speak for yourself ;-) btw, saw your pic in Zink - thanks for the SZ plug, and I love your bio :-).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jcotteri
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post

I can see how thats a problem there :P

I think my size is the maximum to find stuff there as I can fit some things in a 48
      yay for me

tnx mike
      WTB: This

Comment

• Bosozoku
        • Sep 2008

Coming back on Mike's post regarding taxi's and hotels near train stations: Last week I stayed at the Granbell Hotel in Shibuya which was located near JR station and Hachiko Crossing, but without the chaotic traffic and noise you would expect.

Moreover, good price, fantastic service (VAIO laptop for loan) and Japanese breakfast.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bosozoku View Post
          Coming back on Mike's post regarding taxi's and hotels near train stations: Last week I stayed at the Granbell Hotel in Shibuya which was located near JR station and Hachiko Crossing, but without the chaotic traffic and noise you would expect.

Moreover, good price, fantastic service (VAIO laptop for loan) and Japanese breakfast.
          I second that...I stayed at Granbell too a couple of weeks ago...fantastic location, reasonable room rates, but never got the chance to try the breakfast though...

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

thats good to know, Granbell was one of my options but I stayed at Oakwood in Aoyama instead, great place as well.
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• nictan
              • Jul 2009

First of all, my apologies for bumping this reallyyyyyyy old thread. but its the most apt for my post.

Anyways, will be headed to japan end of the month. Will be there for 10 days, with +- 6 days set aside for shopping, the rest will be reserved for some sight-seeing and stuff.

I'll be staying at Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. I've never been to Japan, cept a trip more than 10 years ago, which i recall nothing of. Have been, and will be looking up sufu and stuff to get more information, but hope to get more help around here, as it probably suits the aesthetic more.

As of now, ive gotten the rough directions from google maps (as posted on the first page of this thread, thanks mike). I intend to get the Superfuture Superguide as well (does it have adequate SZ-style information? )

So........ Need help with highlighting some hits or misses!! Which shops/malls/outlets are a must-go, which are pretty much nothing. Or anything other information shopping-wise will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance

edit: forgot to add, i will be at tokyo for the entire duration of the trip, except a sidetrip to Mt. Fuji

Comment

• raddy
                • Oct 2008

I'll edit this with more info, but:

Shibuya: Midwest and Opening Ceremony are can't miss. Opening Ceremony is shockingly awesome. Lots of stuff you wouldn't expect. Didn't see any ma+ accessories at midwest when I was there a few weeks back unforunately. =(

Shinjuku: Barney's has some chatav and pretty cool OV stuff, and a bunch of nice LUC trousers/tops. No ma+. Skip the Ginza barney's, it was pretty awful when I was there recently. Isetan is awesome and super underrated if you're at all into the japanese local labels. (undercover, attachment, n hollywood, etc) Sizing is what always fucks me @ isetan as there's never really anything above a 46 equiv. The RO buy kind of sucked.

Aoyama: RO store is what you'd expect. They have a LOT of sizes, including bigger sizes if you ask. Buying this stuff in Tokyo is retarded though. (price = pain) Le'claeur is closed which sucks.

Harajuku: Undercover new store is nice -- it depends if you like s/s 10 which I know is pretty divisive. It all looks stupid on me despite me loving super athletic looks so I'm kinda meh with it. Ann D and MMM only take like 5 minutes to check out and are worth it, but price points in tokyo are generally prohibitive. (You're paying 30% premium basically) Visvim is probably not approved of here, but I still love the label and it's the best smelling store on earth. ^^

Daikanyama: All three lifts, particularly etage and ecru shouldn't be missed. Ecru has nice SS buy. Etage has a very large ma+ collection and lots of baller ma+ women's for make believe girls you'll never meet in RL. Position has small buy of Silent which I thought was great and pretty good price points. Etage has nice footwear + some gorgeous LUC knits. (As always)

Besides artisan/hi fashion what are you into? There's too much stuff to just generally list/describe. ^^
                Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• the breaks
                  • Sep 2007

I'm also going in July and would appreciate any tips, shopping or otherwise :)
                  Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                    • Aug 2008

I personally love shopping second hand in Tokyo. Being a bit of a cheapskate I find it's the much more economical way to go, plus you get the periodic thrill of a good find. It seems a lot of Japanese people are very particular about preserving their clothes, so you can often find relatively recent pieces for a fraction of the retail.

A lot of the used designer stores stock SZ approved brands to at least some extent, with a good deal of variation in size and prices. My favorites are Kind, Ragtag and Monotone in Shibuya, and Space and Co. and Ragtag in Shinjuku. Each of the big shopping districts has some kind of second hand designer store. so while you're touring around you can check out what the different neighborhoods have to offer. It's also worth going to Shimokitazawa and Kichijoji for a little less touristy (read expensive) but still really awesome stuff.

On a slightly related note, Tokyo has some of the best music/record shopping in the world. If you're into music a trip to disc union or the countless other record stores is time very well spent.

Comment

• Bosozoku
                      • Sep 2008

One a sidenote, may you visit Osaka and Kobe, there are some awesome shopping opportunities as well. If I'd be you I'd set 3 days aside for shopping and one week for sightseeing, as Japan has a very culturally rich heritage which should not be underestimated.

Originally posted by nictan View Post
                      First of all, my apologies for bumping this reallyyyyyyy old thread. but its the most apt for my post.

Anyways, will be headed to japan end of the month. Will be there for 10 days, with +- 6 days set aside for shopping, the rest will be reserved for some sight-seeing and stuff.

I'll be staying at Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. I've never been to Japan, cept a trip more than 10 years ago, which i recall nothing of. Have been, and will be looking up sufu and stuff to get more information, but hope to get more help around here, as it probably suits the aesthetic more.

As of now, ive gotten the rough directions from google maps (as posted on the first page of this thread, thanks mike). I intend to get the Superfuture Superguide as well (does it have adequate SZ-style information? )

So........ Need help with highlighting some hits or misses!! Which shops/malls/outlets are a must-go, which are pretty much nothing. Or anything other information shopping-wise will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance

edit: forgot to add, i will be at tokyo for the entire duration of the trip, except a sidetrip to Mt. Fuji

Comment

• nictan
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by raddy View Post
                        I'll edit this with more info, but:

Shibuya: Midwest and Opening Ceremony are can't miss. Opening Ceremony is shockingly awesome. Lots of stuff you wouldn't expect. Didn't see any ma+ accessories at midwest when I was there a few weeks back unforunately. =(

Shinjuku: Barney's has some chatav and pretty cool OV stuff, and a bunch of nice LUC trousers/tops. No ma+. Skip the Ginza barney's, it was pretty awful when I was there recently. Isetan is awesome and super underrated if you're at all into the japanese local labels. (undercover, attachment, n hollywood, etc) Sizing is what always fucks me @ isetan as there's never really anything above a 46 equiv. The RO buy kind of sucked.

Harajuku: Undercover new store is nice -- it depends if you like s/s 10 which I know is pretty divisive. It all looks stupid on me despite me loving super athletic looks so I'm kinda meh with it. Ann D and MMM only take like 5 minutes to check out and are worth it, but price points in tokyo are generally prohibitive. (You're paying 30% premium basically) Visvim is probably not approved of here, but I still love the label and it's the best smelling store on earth. ^^

Daikanyama: All three lifts, particularly etage and ecru shouldn't be missed. Ecru has nice SS buy. Etage has a very large ma+ collection and lots of baller ma+ women's for make believe girls you'll never meet in RL. Position has small buy of Silent which I thought was great and pretty good price points. Etage has nice footwear + some gorgeous LUC knits. (As always)

Besides artisan/hi fashion what are you into? There's too much stuff to just generally list/describe. ^^
                        hi thanks for the info. anywhere i can find the addresses of the shops you mentioned, mainly those that are retailing different brands, (midwest, ecru, etage etc) will i be able to find them in the SUFU guide? and yes, i guess i'll be mainly looking for the domestic brands.

Originally posted by stadsvandringar View Post
                        I personally love shopping second hand in Tokyo. Being a bit of a cheapskate I find it's the much more economical way to go, plus you get the periodic thrill of a good find. It seems a lot of Japanese people are very particular about preserving their clothes, so you can often find relatively recent pieces for a fraction of the retail.

A lot of the used designer stores stock SZ approved brands to at least some extent, with a good deal of variation in size and prices. My favorites are Kind, Ragtag and Monotone in Shibuya, and Space and Co. and Ragtag in Shinjuku. Each of the big shopping districts has some kind of second hand designer store. so while you're touring around you can check out what the different neighborhoods have to offer. It's also worth going to Shimokitazawa and Kichijoji for a little less touristy (read expensive) but still really awesome stuff.

On a slightly related note, Tokyo has some of the best music/record shopping in the world. If you're into music a trip to disc union or the countless other record stores is time very well spent.
                        yes i definitely will pay the music stores a visit. are the second hand stores everywhere? where can i get the addresses? sorry, but i dont know japanese at all, and i really need help with pre-information. if not i'll probably just get lost there

Originally posted by Bosozoku View Post
                        One a sidenote, may you visit Osaka and Kobe, there are some awesome shopping opportunities as well. If I'd be you I'd set 3 days aside for shopping and one week for sightseeing, as Japan has a very culturally rich heritage which should not be underestimated.
                        yea i know!! but this is basically a shopping trip for me. i will definitely visit japan again for the rest of the exploration, but man, my exams just ended. need to kopppppp

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                          • Mar 2007

aside from what's been mentioned, and the more obvious Julius/VA/KKA/Lift stops...
                          Boutique W - Guidi, IS, BBS, Ann D, LUC, ma+, obscur...
                          Edition (inside Omotesando Hills) - Guidi, Augusta...
                          Ann D (inside Omotesando Hills)
                          DBSS in Nakameguro
                          Arts+Science: Men's Shop - some ma+ (right across the street from RO)
                          AL (in kichijoji) - Devoa (might have to make an appt, opens only at 3pm)

I would skip Opening Ceremony...huge fail, just like the one in nyc.

Comment

• the breaks
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by stadsvandringar View Post
                            This is exacly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Thanks!
                            Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• nictan
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
                              aside from what's been mentioned, and the more obvious Julius/VA/KKA/Lift stops...
                              Boutique W - Guidi, IS, BBS, Ann D, LUC, ma+, obscur...
                              Edition (inside Omotesando Hills) - Guidi, Augusta...
                              Ann D (inside Omotesando Hills)
                              DBSS in Nakameguro
                              Arts+Science: Men's Shop - some ma+ (right across the street from RO)
                              AL (in kichijoji) - Devoa (might have to make an appt, opens only at 3pm)

I would skip Opening Ceremony...huge fail, just like the one in nyc.
                              thanks ABS. anyway, is it better to make plans of where to visit, and just go around searching, or just walk around and see what i stumble on? i have no idea what its like in tokyo now, if i just walk around and check out random shops, will i end up wasting too much time? are the streets of harajuku/shunjuku/shibuya/omotesando tourist-friendly? i will have a japanese friend who might be free to bring me around for a couple of days, but then again, he isnt into the same style, so he wouldnt be too familiar with some of the shops i might be interested in. thanks once again for all the help

Comment

• munch
                                • Aug 2008

lol, tokyo is HUGE. you probably won't be walking around just visiting random stores unless you're planning on staying there for long ?_?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎