• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Re: tokyo & kyoto shops

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

what size are you if you couldn't find anything? I'm a slim 50 and still managed to round up quite a bit of stuff, if everything would've been available in my size I would've spent way too much [79]

[/quote]

I'm a 52/54 with disproportionately broad shoulders and long arms.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I can see how thats a problem there :P

I think my size is the maximum to find stuff there as I can fit some things in a 48

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• the breaks
        • Sep 2007

I've been itching to go to Tokyo for a while now but I think I'd be in the same situation where absolutely nothing would fit me. Blow all your money on shoes? [74]
        Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

and bags [83]
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• theaddict
            • Apr 2008

Guys, are you all japanese or do you all speakr japanese? From what i have heard it is nearly impossible for a non-speaking foreigner to find anything in Tokio, since they dont have really street signs or names and everything is totally confusing.

And how are the prices compared to Europe, i guess all those japanese brands are way cheaper than here, like NN or Attachment...but what about the imported brands like Poell.

And does NN have a homepage from where i can order with a proxy?

Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

if you just go there completely unprepared I'm sure it'd be a bit challenging [85]

there are no regularstreetadresses so you need a map. navigating with adresses is impossible apart from using a taxi, in which case you should have the adress on paper in japanese. so get a good map, the superfuture maps are quite accurate and usable, and if you suspect something is hard to find, print out the adress on a paper.

apart from that, working your way around the cityisn't that hard. names of the biggeststreets are occasionally in english. subways nowadays have major signs in english, so using it isn't hard at all once you get the hang of it.

Comment

• Trendy Andy
                • Jun 2007

Dude theetruscan,

In case you didn't figure it out already while you were there. Your only able to pick up accessories and footwear. There are a lot of hot Japanese girls roaming around the streets in Shibuya-ku. Shibuya-ku is more for the young professional hipster type of environment. I'm sure you'll notice a bunch of people in their early 20's walking into the infamous "109" buildings. The major dept. stores are Marui, Parco 1, 2, 3, quattro and Burberry Black label which you can't get in the States.

Daikanyama and Aoyama Dori, and anything north Omotesando in Harajuku are my 3 favorite places to hit up to shop and grub.

Ginza-ku and Shinjuku-ku may have more of your size since most of the clothing there are Import/European brands. Isetan in Shinjuku is dope. Don't forget to take advantage of the yummy foods they have there and night life in Roppongi if your down to partying like a rock star!!!!

Fuck man, I love Tokyo.....I love trying to speak Japanese and all the cute girls there would go nuts. The nightlife there is sensational!! [87]

[quote user="theetruscan"]

So yesterday I visited a bunch of shops in Shibuya.

Visited Boutique W, Backlash, Attachment (both shops), S.O.S., all the Lift shops, and on and on. In total, there were 0 items in my size. Was cool to see, but looks like I won't be shopping for any clothes in Tokyo.

My brother is much smaller than me (shorter, narrower shoulders, narrower hips, smaller waist, shorter arms, smaller stomach, all around compact). There was nothing in his size. The closest we found was one size 50 Poell jacket, which was too narrow through the chest, otherwise good. Heh, money saving I suppose.

Backlash may have been my favorite. My brother liked a leather shirt/tunic thing with 3/4 length sleeves. The guy at the shop helped him get it on, or start to get it on. It fit him through the chest (we checked at the start), but the sleeves were too slim for his arms and the shoulders about 3" too narrow. It got halfway on, and my brother yelped (in japanese) "it's too tight, help." Dude pushed it on another 3 inches, completely trapping my brother, and just collapsed laughing. Was awesome.

[/quote]

Comment

• theaddict
                  • Apr 2008

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

if you just go there completely unprepared I'm sure it'd be a bit challenging [85]

there are no regularstreetadresses so you need a map. navigating with adresses is impossible apart from using a taxi, in which case you should have the adress on paper in japanese. so get a good map, the superfuture maps are quite accurate and usable, and if you suspect something is hard to find, print out the adress on a paper.

apart from that, working your way around the cityisn't that hard. names of the biggeststreets are occasionally in english. subways nowadays have major signs in english, so using it isn't hard at all once you get the hang of it.

[/quote]

yeah, but what i heard of a german friend of mine is, everytime she tried to take a cab the driver saw her and try to get away. She was so pissed after several cabes escaped from her that she just walked into the middle of a street and stopped a cab just standing in front of it...haha.
                  well i am from asian origin and also i am korean, people always think i am japanese, therefore i guess i wouldnt have such a problem...i was just curious that so many members here seem to be from japan...:)

man, i really have to go to tokio...thats a city which would be on top of my bucket list...

Comment

• Trendy Andy
                    • Jun 2007

There is someone else here on this forum whose Korean and looks like hes full Japanese. [73] I'm not one of them.

Its fine, if any of the locals there blurping out the word "gaijin" to you, don't be offended. It just means your a foreigner and certain places in the city they don't allow outsiders, such as certain love hotels, Yakuza district, and a few hidden restaurants and other hidden underground areas. But you don't want to be going there anyways right? [66]

[quote user="theaddict"][quote user="mike lowrey"]

[/quote]

yeah, but what i heard of a german friend of mine is, everytime she tried to take a cab the driver saw her and try to get away. She was so pissed after several cabes escaped from her that she just walked into the middle of a street and stopped a cab just standing in front of it...haha.
                    well i am from asian origin and also i am korean, people always think i am japanese, therefore i guess i wouldnt have such a problem...i was just curious that so many members here seem to be from japan...:)

man, i really have to go to tokio...thats a city which would be on top of my bucket list...

[/quote]

Comment

• theaddict
                      • Apr 2008

[quote user="Trendy Andy"]

There is someone else here on this forum whose Korean and looks like hes full Japanese. [73] I'm not one of them.

Its fine, if any of the locals there blurping out the word "gaijin" to you, don't be offended. It just means your a foreigner and certain places in the city they don't allow outsiders, such as certain love hotels, Yakuza district, and a few hidden restaurants and other hidden underground areas. But you don't want to be going there anyways right? [66]

Wtf?

Why are love hotels resticted for foreigners? aarrgghhh...

and there is really a yakuza district?

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Comment

• Trendy Andy
                        • Jun 2007

theaddict,

Why are the quote going inwards???? Are these your words below or is it Mike?

"Wtf?

and there is really a yakuza district?"

The answer to that question is "yes," however not all love hotel is prohibited. You must acquire a women from a brothel first. You pick and choose the women by conversing with all of them, usually in a commercialized building where you least expect it and each room has a different theme to go along with it. Pay "Mama-san" a fee and she will designate you to the love hotel they have arranged for you. This way they can keep track of their girls. The love hotel will grant the girls a private room which she is most familiar with, its for her safety in case things get out of hand. Most places like this or a nightclub with a discriminating taste, they don't permit "gaijin" because either they don't understand or they're unwilling to cooperate and follow the unwritten rules that are involved in these type of settings. What they don't need is a rodeo show. They need to keep it quiet and discreet.

[quote user="theaddict"][quote user="Trendy Andy"]

Wtf?

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Comment

• generic_guy
                          • Mar 2007

Not quite sure if this is the best thread for this, so feel free to move this if it's i the worng place...

A couple of years ago Number (N)ine did some oversize tees. Is there somewhere you could still pick them up (second hand I guess), and would anyone know roughly how much you would expect to pay?

Comment

• theaddict
                            • Apr 2008

yay, you seem tho have some broad knowledge in this field of amusement :)

maybe we need another thread: "Best ways to get laid in the world"

I think what you mentioned with the unwritten rules and the cooperation is the thing why it is often difficult for gaijins to participate on social life in Japan or Korea. People dont want trouble and a foreign guy who is not familiar with the habits or who doesnt speak the language means more stress...especially for a society which is focussed on harmony like the japanese.

Thanks for this really interesting introduction into japanese lifestyle!

theaddict,

"Wtf?

The answer to that question is "yes," however not all love hotel is prohibited. You must acquire a women from a brothel first. You pick and choose the women by conversing with all of them, usually in a commercialized building where you least expect it and each room has a different theme to go along with it. Pay "Mama-san" a fee and she will designate you to the love hotel they have arranged for you. This way they can keep track of their girls. The love hotel will grant the girls a private room which she is most familiar with, its for her safety in case things get out of hand. Most places like this or a nightclub with a discriminating taste, they don't permit "gaijin" because either they don't understand or they're unwilling to cooperate and follow the unwritten rules that are involved in these type of settings. What they don't need is a rodeo show. They need to keep it quiet and discreet.

Wtf?

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Comment

• lowrey
                              ventiundici
                              • Dec 2006

[quote user="theaddict"]yeah, but what i heard of a german friend of mine is, everytime she tried to take a cab the driver saw her and try to get away. She was so pissed after several cabes escaped from her that she just walked into the middle of a street and stopped a cab just standing in front of it...haha.

man, i really have to go to tokio...thats a city which would be on top of my bucket list...[/quote]

shouldn't be a problem, I'm 6' and white so I'm sure they noticed me approaching, but no speeding away for me atleast ;)The taxis in tokyo are clean as hell and the drivers are decked out in suits, very professional. but regardless I think using the metro is far more convenient, I'd definately pick a hotel thats a reasonable distance from a station.

Comment

• philip nod
                                • Aug 2007

[quote user="theaddict"]

yay, you seem tho have some broad knowledge in this field of amusement :)

maybe we need another thread: "Best ways to get laid in the world"

I think what you mentioned with the unwritten rules and the cooperation is the thing why it is often difficult for gaijins to participate on social life in Japan or Korea. People dont want trouble and a foreign guy who is not familiar with the habits or who doesnt speak the language means more stress...especially for a society which is focussed on harmony like the japanese.

Thanks for this really interesting introduction into japanese lifestyle!

theaddict,

"Wtf?

Wtf?

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

hah, you've got to be kidding. people on SZ cant get laid, they sacrificed that in order to spend thousands of dollars on themselves and look good.

One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎