• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

tokyo & kyoto shops

figured I'd compile something since I've been yapping about different shops in other threads and have gotten some questions aboutplaces etc..

I also have some maps I made for my own use, but which could be useful for anyone going to either city.Tokyo Mapand Kyoto Map on Google maps.

Tokyo - Daikanyama

Lift Etage & Ecru - located close to each other, these two are in a shopping complex close to daikan-yama station. not that hard to find. very good selection of Carol Christian Poell at both (unfortunately biggest sizes are 46 and 48 in some stuff),Ecru has Rick Owens, Guidi, Stephan Schneider, Dries Van Noten... Etage hasLabel Under Construction, Ann Demeulemeester, Damir Doma, m.a+, Avantindietro and others. probably the best stores in tokyo. I didn't get a chance to go to Lift Position, but apparently they carry Raf Simons and such. Ecru had the cutest SA in the city <3

Julius - the flagship shop is on the second floor of a small small shopping arcade, a bit hard to find but its the only shopping aecade at the location. gloomy, dimly lit concrete interior with odd rainforest sounds. good selection of the line, about3/4 of the total stuff I've seen.

Attachment - two stores close to each other, other one is Kazuyuki Kumagai and other one plain Attachment. allright selection of the lines at both.

Aoyama

L'eclaireur - slightly off the street but not hard to find. stock wise quite dissapointing, not a huge selection and everything was disorganized. only one Poell piece on the racks, I had to ask for more and they only had 1-2 trousers, one shirt and one jacket all from an earlier season, Lift had a lot of new season already at this point. some random pieces from Dries, Berrini, Ann D, Rick Owens etc.. womens selection was a lot bigger.

Loveless - the store itself is amazing, like an underground dungeon so worth a look.the entrancegoes unnoticed easily, a stone staircase next to aGoyard store.stuff they have is very mixed, cant remember what brands they had but nothing that interested me a lot..

Comme Des Garcons - cool store, the usual selection of CDG stuff that available at most of their outlets.

10 Corso Como - dissapointing, mostly CDG stuff, some Lanvin and a couple of other brands, maybe Balenciaga or something. really boring compared to the original Corso Como.

Undercover - cool store, though personally I dont like the spring line much. good stock of it though, lots of womens wear as well.

Dover Street Market - I'm pissed I even walked here.. another CDG store with nothing but all the Comme basics available at every one of their sale points around the city. I dont know why they'd call in DSM if it has nothing to do with the original one..

Yohji Yamamoto - was closed when I got there, but it looked like a Y-3 store...?

Omotesando

N. Hollywood - one of the coolest stores concept and interior wise, hidden in a residential area somewhere behind Omotesando Hills.. at the end of a small dead end street, theres a metal gate and what looks like a wooden storefront from some smallrural town. the interior looks like a 50's-60's american home or office, very cool and surprising when you walk in.

Addition Adelaide - small store behind also Omotesando Hills, they had Raf Simons, some Rick Owens and others.. not a huge stock though.

Omotesando Hills - shopping complex that has a cool interior, houses the Ann Demeulemeester store as well a boutique called Edition. I had no idea what it was and simply went in after my girlfriend, only to notice a table full of m.a+ belts! their lineup is pretty weird with Stephan Schneider next to some Nudie Jeans.. a good selection of m.a+, some items from Nicolo Ceschi Berrini, Rick Owens, Whyred etc.

Harajuku

The Viridi-Anne - I love their latest collections so this was a must-go for me. small store with onlya signless black glass exterior. a good selection from s/s, though, friendly staff and apparently a regular customer decked in full V-A, who I thought worked there untill he payed for something..

Beams International Gallery - good lineup of designers incl Robert Geller, Rick Owens, Kolor and quite a few other brands I cant remember.. worth a visit for sure.

wjk - the store is inside the Laforet teenager mecca, which is good for eyeing shopper chicks I guess. decent selection of wjk and Reluxe stuff.

Shibuya

Via Bus Stop (Seibu)-if Alexander McQueenand Marc Jacobs are your homies, go here, not exactly what I expected.

Space Tokyo - two 2nd handstores, I checked the one next to Tokyu Hands. mostly the same stuff they have online as well, worth checking out for sure.

Midwest - nice selection of stuff on 4 floors, quite a bit of m.a+ including bags which are hard to come across. some Viridi-Anne, Mihara Yasuhiro, some local labels, ann demeulemeester, RO, Guidi.. the top floor artsy cafe is allright and cozy.

Shinjuku

Isetan - good selection of menswear and the most annoying SA's in retail history at the womens floor. damir doma, ann demeulemeester, dries van noten, stephan schneider, attachment, viridi-anne, rick owens.. N(N), undercover, cdg and some others.

Barney's - the mens floor is small but some interesting labels. decent rack of Poell but mostly older season at that point. couple of really cool avantindietro shirts.. decent selection of LUC, also Dries, Lanvin, CDG, m.a+and some other stuff.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
  • matthewhk
    • Jan 2007

Re: tokyo & kyoto shops

good thread

mike, the store on the same street as Undercover, Corso Como is Y-3. Yohji Yamamoto main flagship is on the flip side (pretty much right across the street from l'eclaireur...it's like a grey brick entrance sign)

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

Kyoto

Fuji Daimaru - this shopping complex has a CDG store, Edition which carries mostly the same stuff as the one in Tokyo, Via Bus Stop and some local stores such as Ships, United Arrows and floors of womens wear. also a food store in the basement. theres also a store called Stage which surprisingly had some Paul Harnden footwear and clothing. made very little sense because none of their other brands were even remotely similar.. well they had Margiela, but the rest was completely random.

Mindtrive - the main store of the several ones they have, a large selection of Attachment, some Julius, Kiminori Morishita and some other japanese labels

Bloc - this mindtrive complex has 3 floors and 4 stores in one, awesome building. eM has local labels, eM import has rick owens, ann demeulemeester, acne, damir domaetc, wjk is on the top floor and theresalso a good selection of N4 which I think is their own label. nowBlack is a hidden room behind a corner on the wjk floor which I actually missed the first time. you probably need to ask to get in. in the room, you'll find all their leather stuff fromm.a+, carpe diem, giorgio brato and guidi. you kind of just stare around in awe at the room which you'd love to move into.

Bullet - the last of the mindtrive stores, this one has Factotum, Robert Geller, Rico, N4 and some others. nice small boutique.

Factory Studio- pretty much 3 labels here, Undercover, Number (N)ine and N. Hollywood. ok selection from the first two.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• xcoldricex
        • Sep 2006

i must be retarded. i couldn't find the uc store. address wise (doesn't mean anything) it was around the yohji store... the yohji store is definitely not a y-3 store - i dind't get to spend much time in there, but women's first floor (crazy geometric dresses were on display..) and all the mens was downstairs

via bus stop has a bunch of hussein chalayan too. SA's are nice.

isetan and barney's are great for the crazy sales... get there EARLY.

l'eclaireur has a show room up top - you might have to ask to get in there - at the time i was there they had next season sample poell pieces on display along with a gustavolins exhibition.

Comment

• matthewhk
          • Jan 2007

UC is right next to Y-3 IIRC.

the hardest shop to find has got to be N(N)...it's in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

UC isnext tothe Y-3 store (thanks for the clarification matt) and 10 CC, on the other side of the block from yohji.

hmm didn't see any mens chalayan at via..

wouldn't have minded seeing the showroom at L'ec.. I asked the guy about Poell stuff and he showed the mentioned items, when I asked if they have any more he said no :P

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Mike, Via Bus Stop opened a stand-alone boutique for Chalayan, that's maybe why.

Don't forget one other important piece of information - Tokyo and Kyoto contain the same letters. Hmm.

Thanks for the shops report!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• croatoan
                • Jul 2007

There is also Adelaide in Aoyama which is the first store by the people (who are incredibly kind, I might add) who own Addition Adelaide. It has similar brands but the styling is geared more towards a higher end clientele. They carry womens stuff as well. Brands include Ann Demeulemeester, Rick Owens, Balenciaga, Martin Margiela, Bless, Fad 3, the Row, etc.

One of my absolute favourite stores was Olgou in the Nakameguro area. I stumbled across it while looking for the Soe store (turns out I was using an out of date map) and spent quite a bit of time exploring inside. It was basically vintage stuff for both men and women but the styling tended strongly towards perhaps what could be described as an Oliver Twist style. A lot of very rugged pieces from early to mid 1900s France, Italy, etc. The womens section also had some incredible (non-vintage) designer stuff in that style, as well as accessories by saranam. The womens selection was a lot more exciting to me than the mens, but both are worth checking out, especially for fans of Paul Harnden, etc. It was at 1-10-6 Kamimeguro meguro-ku Tokyo 153-0051.

Comment

• deuxmille
                  • Nov 2006

+1 on adelaide. Both stores are very nice.

Lift position is quite nice as well. They carry Raf, BLESS, etc.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

I meant to go to Adelaide but I was around there a bit too late, could've skipped 10 Corso for it though..

oh, if anyone has any particular stock inquiries let me know, I can do my best to recall what some place had.

Comment

• young7777
                      • Jun 2007

The N. Hollywood is super hidden that I walked back and forth on that "street" four times and still didn't see it. I have a Tokyo map and the store address from "Huge" magazine at the time. It was one of my regrets for not getting to visit the shop. [72]

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

Omotesando

N. Hollywood - one of the coolest stores concept and interior wise, hidden in a residential area somewhere behind Omotesando Hills.. at the end of a small dead end street, theres a metal gate and what looks like a wooden storefront from some smallrural town. the interior looks like a 50's-60's american home or office, very cool and surprising when you walk in.

[/quote]

Comment

• croatoan
                        • Jul 2007

[quote user="young7777"]

The N. Hollywood is super hidden that I walked back and forth on that "street" four times and still didn't see it. I have a Tokyo map and the store address from "Huge" magazine at the time. It was one of my regrets for not getting to visit the shop. [72]

[/quote]I just followed the hip looking people and they ended up leading me right to it.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="croatoan"][quote user="young7777"]

[/quote]I just followed the hip looking people and they ended up leading me right to it.

[/quote]

interesting. in new york, hip looking people lead me to american apparel and urban outfitters.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

[quote user="Faust"]

interesting. in new york, hip looking people lead me to american apparel and urban outfitters.

[/quote]

maybe you need a new definition of hip.

Comment

• Staton Viguier
                              • Jan 2008

From my travels a month ago..

L'eclaireur, Adelaide and Addition Adelaide were all very disappointing, particularly L'eclaireur, and all had barely any stock despite it being the middle of ss. Boutique W, Midwest were pretty good. Both carried a large selection of MA+, CCP, Damir Doma etc. Lift Etage & Ecru were highlights, lots of Carol, Augusta, Rick, Ann etc, interesting interior. Attachment, Julius, and Virdi-anne both had a fairly full stock range.

Number Nine i found impossible to find.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎