Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carol2046
    • Mar 2012

Yea I agree. Isetan is probably an even better place to get the newest collection than th flagstore.

But I was wondering whether there are any outlets where those off-season items that never got sold out ultimately goes to.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
      • Aug 2008

Aside from the usual second hand stores already mentioned, getting somewhat desirable recent season stuff at a discount in Tokyo is extremely difficult. Brands like Julius produce small quantities already. If you are looking for post-sale things already marked down, you need luck on your side. Things get picked over in Tokyo very quickly.

I would recommend yahoo Japan or rakuten as an alternative, but even then it is hit and miss.

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
        • May 2013

Off to tokyo-kyoto, woo!
        about to board plane now and im going to save all these pages to read but in case it's not here..
        what are some second hand shops that are rated highly

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
          • May 2013

where is KIND store tokyo?
          i don't know how to find it.
          today im going 2nd hand shopping and to lift's
          so in SHIBUYA there is;
          kind, ragtag, monotone, modescape and rinkan which should be visited.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
            • Aug 2008

Kind in shibuya is a bit small and occupies a couple of floors. From what I recall there's one in the center-gai area and one closer to the big ragtag. I'd recommend starting with the ragtag as it is huge. There's also a jumble store pretty close to shibuya station that can sometimes be good.

Giving directions is always pretty tough for japanese shops since they don't do addresses the same way as the west and the streets typically make no sense. You should print out a map beforehand. Or if you've got technology on your side google maps works great.

Comment

• the breaks
              • Sep 2007

IIRC Kind Shibuya is on like the 3rd floor of some massive office building and really hard to find even if you have the address. Also, it's not really worth a visit in my opinion. I might have it confused with something else though.

Like stadsvandringar said go to ragtag :)
              Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                • May 2013

KIND was on the third floor of some building but its heavily marked outside if your on the look out for the japanese symbols for second hand (ridiculous sentence in itself but i hope i get some sort of a point across)

it was RINKAN shibuya which was so bloody difficult to find it was literally a maze and once i got there it was a demolition site, i then stumbled out the fire exit to leave and right infront of me was a rinkan pop up shop,
                i seriously do not understand- but really do love- how Tokyo has all these shops so hidden away and without advertisement on the front often but charge such high prices and employ so many staff, really confusing me how they handle it

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                  • May 2013

I bought a n(n) distressed sweater for £90, not very good price but i liked it
                  some julius drop crotch trousers for £50 again not a good price but my journey to the lot of them (rinkan, kind, ragtag, monotone and some randoms) was so fruitless that i lashed out at them by making some purchases.
                  not even sure i would recommend going but perhaps i was unlucky, will be going back in 3 days time and in a week and a bits time to try my luck and post final thoughts

Comment

• electricgecko
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Michael_Robartes View Post
                    some julius drop crotch trousers for £50 again not a good price
                    err, if £50 is not a good price for a pair of julius trousers, what is?

Comment

• MikeN
                      • Nov 2007

So my girlfriend and I are finally finally finally going to Japan in October. Basically all I need to know is... who carries Paul Harnden and/or Elena Dawson, and what are the best second-hand stores for (hopefully the aforementioned brands) and Comme and Yohji?

How up to date is that original Google Maps link that Lowery posted on the first page of this thread? Are there similar maps that I can find/buy/download that has every store that any SZer might be slightly interested in that I can just load onto my phone when I'm in Tokyo? What about Osaka and Kyoto?

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                        • Aug 2008

Not sure about Dawson, but 10 corso como and dover street market should have Harnden. That said, the price will be significantly more expensive than the US. Usually Japanese stuff here (unsurprisingly) is cheaper. Everything imported is more expensive than the US at retail. I'd recommend Isetan in Shinjuku, as there's a lot of stuff concentrated in a relatively small space.

Tokyo tends to be very picked over in my opinion, as I mentioned before. Prices are also higher because it's Tokyo and there are like a million people after the same thing, so supply and demand dictates steeper prices. There are deals to be had, but they often require digging. I recommend visiting equally cool but slightly more off-track places like shimokitazawa and kichijoji. They're worth the trip just for sightseeing and also have a fair amount of second hand shopping.

Another large second hand shop that doesn't get a fair shake is komehyo. They've got locations in shinjuku, ginza and aoyama. Selection varies, but there is good stuff to be had.

Second hand shopping in Kyoto and Osaka are both good in my opinion, although Osaka being bigger has much more. Kind has it's main shop in America-mura in Osaka which is pretty big. There are the usual resale shops in Kyoto, but it's Kyoto and cool on its own anyway.

Comment

• jumpoff
                          • Jan 2008

Second on the Kichijoji recommendation, love the area. Jiyugaoka is also great.

I'm not sure if they do anymore, but Journal Standard Luxe in Shinjuku used to carry women's Paul Harnden.

When it comes to second hand, my (limited) experience from Kyoto and Tokyo is that you're more likely to get a good deal in Kyoto, even though the selection is much greater in Tokyo. There is a small Kind close to Teramachi Dori in Kyoto that had an excellent selection at much better prices than in Tokyo when I was there two years ago.

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                            • May 2013

Originally posted by electricgecko View Post
                            err, if £50 is not a good price for a pair of julius trousers, what is?
                            where do you live Gecko?
                            In london if it's secondhand it's going to be less then £20 for a designer its just in london you have to dig through so much more unorganised junk..
                            actually the guy in kind and i were having a conversation as he wishes to open a store in London..
                            i told him i thought that his prices were higher that in london by a longshot but the loot was much more organised and wasn't diluted with so much junk/trash such as RL polo's.
                            maybe what they call second hand here is on par with vintage shops back home? which i keep a distance from because there so overpriced for secondhand gear,
                            i thought i was going to be stumbling upon some gems for very cheap rather then a lot of good stuff for somewhat cheapish pricing

Comment

• Michael_Robartes
                              • May 2013

Went to kind/ragtag in Ginza today, absolute waste of time TBH.
                              they themselves recommended the other branches, unfortunately DSM was closed (for construction), anyone recommend i go back to go in when it reopens tomorrow?

and just to back up previous comments lift etage and ecru are SZ all over, was a bit steep for me but fantastic selection of items and CCP in particular..
                              *top tip* i originally stumbled into the lift showroom by accident before i found the actual shops, there was noone else in there at the time and i got 4 or so minutes snooping around looking at lots of cool new stuff not on the shelves, before i was told it wasnt a shop but for clients. someone should give it a go ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎