Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 407

Thread: tokyo & kyoto shops

  1. #41
    Senior Member Trendy Andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hollywood Hills
    Posts
    270

    Default Re: tokyo & kyoto shops



    theaddict,



    Why are the quote going inwards???? Are these your words below or is it Mike?



    "Wtf?




    Why are love hotels resticted for foreigners? aarrgghhh...




    and there is really a yakuza district?"






    The answer to that question is "yes," however not all love hotel is prohibited. You must acquire a women from a brothel first. You pick and choose the women by conversing with all of them, usually in a commercialized building where you least expect it and each room has a different theme to go along with it. Pay "Mama-san" a fee and she will designate you to the love hotel they have arranged for you. This way they can keep track of their girls. The love hotel will grant the girls a private room which she is most familiar with, its for her safety in case things get out of hand. Most places like this or a nightclub with a discriminating taste, they don't permit "gaijin" because either they don't understand or they're unwilling to cooperate and follow the unwritten rules that are involved in these type of settings. What they don't need is a rodeo show. They need to keep it quiet and discreet.









    [quote user="theaddict"][quote user="Trendy Andy"]



    There is someone else here on this forum whose Korean and looks like hes full Japanese. [73] I'm not one of them.



    Its fine, if any of the locals there blurping out the word "gaijin" to you, don't be offended. It just means your a foreigner and certain places in the city they don't allow outsiders, such as certain love hotels, Yakuza district, and a few hidden restaurants and other hidden underground areas. But you don't want to be going there anyways right? [66]







    [quote user="theaddict"][quote user="mike lowrey"]



    Wtf?



    Why are love hotels resticted for foreigners? aarrgghhh...



    and there is really a yakuza district?




    if you just go there completely unprepared I'm sure it'd be a bit challenging [85]




    there are no regularstreetadresses so you need a map. navigating with adresses is impossible apart from using a taxi, in which case you should have the adress on paper in japanese. so get a good map, the superfuture maps are quite accurate and usable, and if you suspect something is hard to find, print out the adress on a paper.




    apart from that, working your way around the cityisn't that hard. names of the biggeststreets are occasionally in english. subways nowadays have major signs in english, so using it isn't hard at all once you get the hang of it.



    [/quote]



    yeah, but what i heard of a german friend of mine is, everytime she tried to take a cab the driver saw her and try to get away. She was so pissed after several cabes escaped from her that she just walked into the middle of a street and stopped a cab just standing in front of it...haha.
    well i am from asian origin and also i am korean, people always think i am japanese, therefore i guess i wouldnt have such a problem...i was just curious that so many members here seem to be from japan...:)



    man, i really have to go to tokio...thats a city which would be on top of my bucket list...

    [/quote][/quote][/quote]

  2. #42

    Default Re: tokyo & kyoto shops



    Not quite sure if this is the best thread for this, so feel free to move this if it's i the worng place...



    A couple of years ago Number (N)ine did some oversize tees. Is there somewhere you could still pick them up (second hand I guess), and would anyone know roughly how much you would expect to pay?


  3. #43

    Default Re: tokyo & kyoto shops



    yay, you seem tho have some broad knowledge in this field of amusement :)



    maybe we need another thread: "Best ways to get laid in the world"



    I think what you mentioned with the unwritten rules and the cooperation is the thing why it is often difficult for gaijins to participate on social life in Japan or Korea. People dont want trouble and a foreign guy who is not familiar with the habits or who doesnt speak the language means more stress...especially for a society which is focussed on harmony like the japanese.



    Thanks for this really interesting introduction into japanese lifestyle!









    [quote user="Trendy Andy"]



    theaddict,



    Why are the quote going inwards???? Are these your words below or is it Mike?



    "Wtf?




    Why are love hotels resticted for foreigners? aarrgghhh...




    and there is really a yakuza district?"






    The answer to that question is "yes," however not all love hotel is prohibited. You must acquire a women from a brothel first. You pick and choose the women by conversing with all of them, usually in a commercialized building where you least expect it and each room has a different theme to go along with it. Pay "Mama-san" a fee and she will designate you to the love hotel they have arranged for you. This way they can keep track of their girls. The love hotel will grant the girls a private room which she is most familiar with, its for her safety in case things get out of hand. Most places like this or a nightclub with a discriminating taste, they don't permit "gaijin" because either they don't understand or they're unwilling to cooperate and follow the unwritten rules that are involved in these type of settings. What they don't need is a rodeo show. They need to keep it quiet and discreet.









    [quote user="theaddict"][quote user="Trendy Andy"]



    There is someone else here on this forum whose Korean and looks like hes full Japanese. [73] I'm not one of them.



    Its fine, if any of the locals there blurping out the word "gaijin" to you, don't be offended. It just means your a foreigner and certain places in the city they don't allow outsiders, such as certain love hotels, Yakuza district, and a few hidden restaurants and other hidden underground areas. But you don't want to be going there anyways right? [66]







    [quote user="theaddict"][quote user="mike lowrey"]



    Wtf?



    Why are love hotels resticted for foreigners? aarrgghhh...



    and there is really a yakuza district?




    if you just go there completely unprepared I'm sure it'd be a bit challenging [85]




    there are no regularstreetadresses so you need a map. navigating with adresses is impossible apart from using a taxi, in which case you should have the adress on paper in japanese. so get a good map, the superfuture maps are quite accurate and usable, and if you suspect something is hard to find, print out the adress on a paper.




    apart from that, working your way around the cityisn't that hard. names of the biggeststreets are occasionally in english. subways nowadays have major signs in english, so using it isn't hard at all once you get the hang of it.



    [/quote]



    yeah, but what i heard of a german friend of mine is, everytime she tried to take a cab the driver saw her and try to get away. She was so pissed after several cabes escaped from her that she just walked into the middle of a street and stopped a cab just standing in front of it...haha.
    well i am from asian origin and also i am korean, people always think i am japanese, therefore i guess i wouldnt have such a problem...i was just curious that so many members here seem to be from japan...:)



    man, i really have to go to tokio...thats a city which would be on top of my bucket list...

    [/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

  4. #44

    Default Re: tokyo & kyoto shops

    [quote user="theaddict"]yeah, but what i heard of a german friend of mine is, everytime she tried to take a cab the driver saw her and try to get away. She was so pissed after several cabes escaped from her that she just walked into the middle of a street and stopped a cab just standing in front of it...haha.
    well i am from asian origin and also i am korean, people always think i am japanese, therefore i guess i wouldnt have such a problem...i was just curious that so many members here seem to be from japan...:)


    man, i really have to go to tokio...thats a city which would be on top of my bucket list...[/quote]




    shouldn't be a problem, I'm 6' and white so I'm sure they noticed me approaching, but no speeding away for me atleast ;)The taxis in tokyo are clean as hell and the drivers are decked out in suits, very professional. but regardless I think using the metro is far more convenient, I'd definately pick a hotel thats a reasonable distance from a station.

    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

    STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

  5. #45

    Default Re: tokyo & kyoto shops

    [quote user="theaddict"]

    yay, you seem tho have some broad knowledge in this field of amusement :)



    maybe we need another thread: "Best ways to get laid in the world"



    I think what you mentioned with the unwritten rules and the cooperation is the thing why it is often difficult for gaijins to participate on social life in Japan or Korea. People dont want trouble and a foreign guy who is not familiar with the habits or who doesnt speak the language means more stress...especially for a society which is focussed on harmony like the japanese.



    Thanks for this really interesting introduction into japanese lifestyle!









    [quote user="Trendy Andy"]



    theaddict,



    Why are the quote going inwards???? Are these your words below or is it Mike?



    "Wtf?




    Why are love hotels resticted for foreigners? aarrgghhh...




    and there is really a yakuza district?"






    The answer to that question is "yes," however not all love hotel is prohibited. You must acquire a women from a brothel first. You pick and choose the women by conversing with all of them, usually in a commercialized building where you least expect it and each room has a different theme to go along with it. Pay "Mama-san" a fee and she will designate you to the love hotel they have arranged for you. This way they can keep track of their girls. The love hotel will grant the girls a private room which she is most familiar with, its for her safety in case things get out of hand. Most places like this or a nightclub with a discriminating taste, they don't permit "gaijin" because either they don't understand or they're unwilling to cooperate and follow the unwritten rules that are involved in these type of settings. What they don't need is a rodeo show. They need to keep it quiet and discreet.









    [quote user="theaddict"][quote user="Trendy Andy"]



    There is someone else here on this forum whose Korean and looks like hes full Japanese. [73] I'm not one of them.



    Its fine, if any of the locals there blurping out the word "gaijin" to you, don't be offended. It just means your a foreigner and certain places in the city they don't allow outsiders, such as certain love hotels, Yakuza district, and a few hidden restaurants and other hidden underground areas. But you don't want to be going there anyways right? [66]







    [quote user="theaddict"][quote user="mike lowrey"]



    Wtf?



    Why are love hotels resticted for foreigners? aarrgghhh...



    and there is really a yakuza district?




    if you just go there completely unprepared I'm sure it'd be a bit challenging [85]




    there are no regularstreetadresses so you need a map. navigating with adresses is impossible apart from using a taxi, in which case you should have the adress on paper in japanese. so get a good map, the superfuture maps are quite accurate and usable, and if you suspect something is hard to find, print out the adress on a paper.




    apart from that, working your way around the cityisn't that hard. names of the biggeststreets are occasionally in english. subways nowadays have major signs in english, so using it isn't hard at all once you get the hang of it.



    [/quote]



    yeah, but what i heard of a german friend of mine is, everytime she tried to take a cab the driver saw her and try to get away. She was so pissed after several cabes escaped from her that she just walked into the middle of a street and stopped a cab just standing in front of it...haha.
    well i am from asian origin and also i am korean, people always think i am japanese, therefore i guess i wouldnt have such a problem...i was just curious that so many members here seem to be from japan...:)



    man, i really have to go to tokio...thats a city which would be on top of my bucket list...



    [/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]





    hah, you've got to be kidding. people on SZ cant get laid, they sacrificed that in order to spend thousands of dollars on themselves and look good.

    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

  6. #46
    kitsch killer Faust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long hard road out of hell
    Posts
    37,726

    Default Re: tokyo & kyoto shops



    speak for yourself ;-) btw, saw your pic in Zink - thanks for the SZ plug, and I love your bio :-).

    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

    StyleZeitgeist Magazine

  7. #47
    Senior Member jcotteri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Terra Australis Incognita
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mike lowrey View Post



    I can see how thats a problem there :P



    I think my size is the maximum to find stuff there as I can fit some things in a 48
    yay for me


    tnx mike

  8. #48

    Default

    Coming back on Mike's post regarding taxi's and hotels near train stations: Last week I stayed at the Granbell Hotel in Shibuya which was located near JR station and Hachiko Crossing, but without the chaotic traffic and noise you would expect.

    Moreover, good price, fantastic service (VAIO laptop for loan) and Japanese breakfast.

  9. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
    Coming back on Mike's post regarding taxi's and hotels near train stations: Last week I stayed at the Granbell Hotel in Shibuya which was located near JR station and Hachiko Crossing, but without the chaotic traffic and noise you would expect.

    Moreover, good price, fantastic service (VAIO laptop for loan) and Japanese breakfast.
    I second that...I stayed at Granbell too a couple of weeks ago...fantastic location, reasonable room rates, but never got the chance to try the breakfast though...

  10. #50

    Default

    thats good to know, Granbell was one of my options but I stayed at Oakwood in Aoyama instead, great place as well.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

    STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

  11. #51

    Default

    First of all, my apologies for bumping this reallyyyyyyy old thread. but its the most apt for my post.

    Anyways, will be headed to japan end of the month. Will be there for 10 days, with +- 6 days set aside for shopping, the rest will be reserved for some sight-seeing and stuff.

    I'll be staying at Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. I've never been to Japan, cept a trip more than 10 years ago, which i recall nothing of. Have been, and will be looking up sufu and stuff to get more information, but hope to get more help around here, as it probably suits the aesthetic more.

    As of now, ive gotten the rough directions from google maps (as posted on the first page of this thread, thanks mike). I intend to get the Superfuture Superguide as well (does it have adequate SZ-style information? )

    So........ Need help with highlighting some hits or misses!! Which shops/malls/outlets are a must-go, which are pretty much nothing. Or anything other information shopping-wise will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance

    edit: forgot to add, i will be at tokyo for the entire duration of the trip, except a sidetrip to Mt. Fuji

  12. #52

    Default

    I'll edit this with more info, but:

    Shibuya: Midwest and Opening Ceremony are can't miss. Opening Ceremony is shockingly awesome. Lots of stuff you wouldn't expect. Didn't see any ma+ accessories at midwest when I was there a few weeks back unforunately. =(

    Shinjuku: Barney's has some chatav and pretty cool OV stuff, and a bunch of nice LUC trousers/tops. No ma+. Skip the Ginza barney's, it was pretty awful when I was there recently. Isetan is awesome and super underrated if you're at all into the japanese local labels. (undercover, attachment, n hollywood, etc) Sizing is what always fucks me @ isetan as there's never really anything above a 46 equiv. The RO buy kind of sucked.

    Aoyama: RO store is what you'd expect. They have a LOT of sizes, including bigger sizes if you ask. Buying this stuff in Tokyo is retarded though. (price = pain) Le'claeur is closed which sucks.

    Harajuku: Undercover new store is nice -- it depends if you like s/s 10 which I know is pretty divisive. It all looks stupid on me despite me loving super athletic looks so I'm kinda meh with it. Ann D and MMM only take like 5 minutes to check out and are worth it, but price points in tokyo are generally prohibitive. (You're paying 30% premium basically) Visvim is probably not approved of here, but I still love the label and it's the best smelling store on earth. ^^

    Daikanyama: All three lifts, particularly etage and ecru shouldn't be missed. Ecru has nice SS buy. Etage has a very large ma+ collection and lots of baller ma+ women's for make believe girls you'll never meet in RL. Position has small buy of Silent which I thought was great and pretty good price points. Etage has nice footwear + some gorgeous LUC knits. (As always)

    Besides artisan/hi fashion what are you into? There's too much stuff to just generally list/describe. ^^
    Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

  13. #53

    Default

    I'm also going in July and would appreciate any tips, shopping or otherwise :)
    Suede is too Gucci.

  14. #54

    Default

    I personally love shopping second hand in Tokyo. Being a bit of a cheapskate I find it's the much more economical way to go, plus you get the periodic thrill of a good find. It seems a lot of Japanese people are very particular about preserving their clothes, so you can often find relatively recent pieces for a fraction of the retail.

    A lot of the used designer stores stock SZ approved brands to at least some extent, with a good deal of variation in size and prices. My favorites are Kind, Ragtag and Monotone in Shibuya, and Space and Co. and Ragtag in Shinjuku. Each of the big shopping districts has some kind of second hand designer store. so while you're touring around you can check out what the different neighborhoods have to offer. It's also worth going to Shimokitazawa and Kichijoji for a little less touristy (read expensive) but still really awesome stuff.

    On a slightly related note, Tokyo has some of the best music/record shopping in the world. If you're into music a trip to disc union or the countless other record stores is time very well spent.

  15. #55

    Default

    One a sidenote, may you visit Osaka and Kobe, there are some awesome shopping opportunities as well. If I'd be you I'd set 3 days aside for shopping and one week for sightseeing, as Japan has a very culturally rich heritage which should not be underestimated.




    Quote Originally Posted by nictan View Post
    First of all, my apologies for bumping this reallyyyyyyy old thread. but its the most apt for my post.

    Anyways, will be headed to japan end of the month. Will be there for 10 days, with +- 6 days set aside for shopping, the rest will be reserved for some sight-seeing and stuff.

    I'll be staying at Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku. I've never been to Japan, cept a trip more than 10 years ago, which i recall nothing of. Have been, and will be looking up sufu and stuff to get more information, but hope to get more help around here, as it probably suits the aesthetic more.

    As of now, ive gotten the rough directions from google maps (as posted on the first page of this thread, thanks mike). I intend to get the Superfuture Superguide as well (does it have adequate SZ-style information? )

    So........ Need help with highlighting some hits or misses!! Which shops/malls/outlets are a must-go, which are pretty much nothing. Or anything other information shopping-wise will be very much appreciated. Thank you all in advance

    edit: forgot to add, i will be at tokyo for the entire duration of the trip, except a sidetrip to Mt. Fuji

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raddy View Post
    I'll edit this with more info, but:

    Shibuya: Midwest and Opening Ceremony are can't miss. Opening Ceremony is shockingly awesome. Lots of stuff you wouldn't expect. Didn't see any ma+ accessories at midwest when I was there a few weeks back unforunately. =(

    Shinjuku: Barney's has some chatav and pretty cool OV stuff, and a bunch of nice LUC trousers/tops. No ma+. Skip the Ginza barney's, it was pretty awful when I was there recently. Isetan is awesome and super underrated if you're at all into the japanese local labels. (undercover, attachment, n hollywood, etc) Sizing is what always fucks me @ isetan as there's never really anything above a 46 equiv. The RO buy kind of sucked.

    Harajuku: Undercover new store is nice -- it depends if you like s/s 10 which I know is pretty divisive. It all looks stupid on me despite me loving super athletic looks so I'm kinda meh with it. Ann D and MMM only take like 5 minutes to check out and are worth it, but price points in tokyo are generally prohibitive. (You're paying 30% premium basically) Visvim is probably not approved of here, but I still love the label and it's the best smelling store on earth. ^^

    Daikanyama: All three lifts, particularly etage and ecru shouldn't be missed. Ecru has nice SS buy. Etage has a very large ma+ collection and lots of baller ma+ women's for make believe girls you'll never meet in RL. Position has small buy of Silent which I thought was great and pretty good price points. Etage has nice footwear + some gorgeous LUC knits. (As always)

    Besides artisan/hi fashion what are you into? There's too much stuff to just generally list/describe. ^^
    hi thanks for the info. anywhere i can find the addresses of the shops you mentioned, mainly those that are retailing different brands, (midwest, ecru, etage etc) will i be able to find them in the SUFU guide? and yes, i guess i'll be mainly looking for the domestic brands.

    Quote Originally Posted by stadsvandringar View Post
    I personally love shopping second hand in Tokyo. Being a bit of a cheapskate I find it's the much more economical way to go, plus you get the periodic thrill of a good find. It seems a lot of Japanese people are very particular about preserving their clothes, so you can often find relatively recent pieces for a fraction of the retail.

    A lot of the used designer stores stock SZ approved brands to at least some extent, with a good deal of variation in size and prices. My favorites are Kind, Ragtag and Monotone in Shibuya, and Space and Co. and Ragtag in Shinjuku. Each of the big shopping districts has some kind of second hand designer store. so while you're touring around you can check out what the different neighborhoods have to offer. It's also worth going to Shimokitazawa and Kichijoji for a little less touristy (read expensive) but still really awesome stuff.

    On a slightly related note, Tokyo has some of the best music/record shopping in the world. If you're into music a trip to disc union or the countless other record stores is time very well spent.
    yes i definitely will pay the music stores a visit. are the second hand stores everywhere? where can i get the addresses? sorry, but i dont know japanese at all, and i really need help with pre-information. if not i'll probably just get lost there

    Quote Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
    One a sidenote, may you visit Osaka and Kobe, there are some awesome shopping opportunities as well. If I'd be you I'd set 3 days aside for shopping and one week for sightseeing, as Japan has a very culturally rich heritage which should not be underestimated.
    yea i know!! but this is basically a shopping trip for me. i will definitely visit japan again for the rest of the exploration, but man, my exams just ended. need to kopppppp

  17. #57

    Default

    aside from what's been mentioned, and the more obvious Julius/VA/KKA/Lift stops...
    Boutique W - Guidi, IS, BBS, Ann D, LUC, ma+, obscur...
    Edition (inside Omotesando Hills) - Guidi, Augusta...
    Ann D (inside Omotesando Hills)
    DBSS in Nakameguro
    Arts+Science: Men's Shop - some ma+ (right across the street from RO)
    AL (in kichijoji) - Devoa (might have to make an appt, opens only at 3pm)

    I would skip Opening Ceremony...huge fail, just like the one in nyc.

  18. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stadsvandringar View Post
    I personally love shopping second hand in Tokyo. Being a bit of a cheapskate I find it's the much more economical way to go, plus you get the periodic thrill of a good find. It seems a lot of Japanese people are very particular about preserving their clothes, so you can often find relatively recent pieces for a fraction of the retail.
    This is exacly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Thanks!
    Suede is too Gucci.

  19. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
    aside from what's been mentioned, and the more obvious Julius/VA/KKA/Lift stops...
    Boutique W - Guidi, IS, BBS, Ann D, LUC, ma+, obscur...
    Edition (inside Omotesando Hills) - Guidi, Augusta...
    Ann D (inside Omotesando Hills)
    DBSS in Nakameguro
    Arts+Science: Men's Shop - some ma+ (right across the street from RO)
    AL (in kichijoji) - Devoa (might have to make an appt, opens only at 3pm)

    I would skip Opening Ceremony...huge fail, just like the one in nyc.
    thanks ABS. anyway, is it better to make plans of where to visit, and just go around searching, or just walk around and see what i stumble on? i have no idea what its like in tokyo now, if i just walk around and check out random shops, will i end up wasting too much time? are the streets of harajuku/shunjuku/shibuya/omotesando tourist-friendly? i will have a japanese friend who might be free to bring me around for a couple of days, but then again, he isnt into the same style, so he wouldnt be too familiar with some of the shops i might be interested in. thanks once again for all the help

  20. #60
    Senior Member munch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    the batcave
    Posts
    562

    Default

    lol, tokyo is HUGE. you probably won't be walking around just visiting random stores unless you're planning on staying there for long ?_?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •