• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atom
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by jcotteri View Post
    MOMAT is cool.
    Mori Art Museum has some good exhibitions as well. And you get to see the whole city at the same time.

Comment

• crouka
      • Jul 2007

if you drive internationally and are confident of your skill, try shutoko.
      not the least of tokyo's attractions is shutoko's trikiness. but be careful enough, especially with the circular route officially named C1. it's a historically defective architecture in the form of highway because they hurried up the reconstruction of the metropolis in those days and didn't have enough time to work on a route plan. but therefore there is somethig very vernacular you may sense there.

I have to say again only if you are a confident mature driver. then I'm sure you have some fun. and make sure to memorize how the network runs beforehand. otherwise you are to be lost or to exit at an unintended point. there are several routes you can enjoy without a single exit as long as you are not out of gas.
      that said, it's not so different from other highways in the daytime except when you edge out into the stream of high density traffic. in the night you might feel like a proton traveling in LHC, but with scenic beauty, and without any collision please.

首都高速道路株式会社の404のページです。

when you have had enough of it, it may be good to get off at Shibaura exit which is very near to Tennozu area where you might want to have a break at t.y harbor brewery / breadworks from which yohji's atelier is just there, btw. you might happen to see him around.

shinagawa-ku, higashi-shinagawa 2-1-6

or get off shutoko from Komagata exit and visit Komagata Dozeu (pronounced dojou) if you're interested in what loach tastes like. although there should be some tourists there, it's a very old and authentic place locals still frequent.

taito-ku, komagata 1-7-12

Comment

• stadsvandringar
        • Aug 2008

I personally recommend the parks in and around Tokyo. Ueno park is very nice, a bit like central park in NY, and has some major museums in it as well as a zoo. The imperial gardens also work, as does inokashira park in kichijoji.

Another cool sightseeing thing you can do it visit tochou (都庁), the Tokyo government offices in shinjuku. They have a free observation deck way high up in one of the sky scrapers which gives a great view of the city. You can follow the signs to get there from shinjuku station.

It's a bit touristy, but a good date place is odaiba. It's a pretty neat train ride over, there are a fair amount of decent restaurants, and just a lot of stuff (more info: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3008.html). It's basically a tailor made date destination and worth an evening if you're new to Japan.

I'm in Tokyo so feel free to PM me if you have any questions on where to go, how to get around, etc.

Comment

• chameleon
          • Jun 2008

^are you currently living in Tokyo, or are you there only for a short trip?

Originially posted this in the Help Finding... thread, but thought I'd leave it here:

If anyone here lives in Tokyo and plans to take a spin around Shibuya anytime in the near future, please PM me and help me out by visiting an amazing store just for scouting/checking (that you might not know about, so that could be fun for you too!). I don't want to ask Hide for this since it's not a specific store pick-up. Would be greatly appreciated. The store itself is very easy to get to.

Thanks.

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
            • Mar 2007

Devoa 11SS in AL/Tokyo

AL in Tokyo (kichijoji) will be holding the Devoa 2011SS collection exhibition from 28 July - 8 August. Fyi.

Mods: If there's a better suited thread for this post, kindly move accordingly. Didn't want to post this in the Designers' forums.

Comment

• cuddly
              • Sep 2007

thanks been waiting to see the fall stuff on AL updated. Probably why most of the Devoa on the site is still summer.

Comment

• swych
                • May 2008

Thanks for the list guys. I used this info when I was in Tokyo January.

ABS could you by any chance put a more specific address for AL? it's been really hard googling it.

Should I put up some food recs?

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                  • Mar 2007

AL

Short of drawing you a map, I'm not sure how else to direct you to the shop. It's a 5-8 min walk from Kichijoji station. AL's website should have a map or address, no?

Comment

• chameleon
                    • Jun 2008

swych: here is the website

under "about us" there's and address and a google map. good luck!

Comment

• swych
                      • May 2008

wow you guys are fast, thanks for the reply.

yeah the problem was that I couldn't even find the website. search entry 'al tokyo shop' etc yielded nothing.

Comment

• kuugaia
                        • Feb 2010

What dates during Christmas and New Years do retail places shut up shop in Tokyo? And was it a vast majority or minority that closed down? And did stores start up sales after Christmas or New Years?

I'm wondering whether I should just shop at the start of my trip or wait till the end since I'll be leaving Japan early Jan. Any help would be appreciated guys.

Comment

• SuperTurboTaco
                          • Oct 2009

Wasn`t this already answered in the small questions thread? Other than it being the busiest day of the year at Kentucky Fried Chicken(No joke), Christmas is just a normal day in Japan. Stores shut down for New Years
                          for a day or two tops. If you are looking for sales wait till the the end of your trip.

Comment

• kuugaia
                            • Feb 2010

Ah thanks man, appreciate it. Sorry, I didn't browse the small questions thread for answers. Thought it'd be easier and more relevant in here.

Comment

• Lucky Strike
                              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Atom View Post

But in reality, Tokyo has so much to offer. Which makes it a bit problematic for a short romantic visit, because it's easy to wear yourself out and get all fucked up trying to do and see everything. Has happened to me .
                              True that. Same happened to me
                              Visited 10 days this summer with gf. If I do go back Im either doing it for a longer stay or Im gonna be super rich so I can go around the city by cab =)

I realised that what made it tough was the fucked up subway system. Just drained my energy.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
                                • Aug 2008

The subway system's not bad. It's just complicated. The advantage is if you literally walk 15 minutes in any direction in central tokyo you'll find some kind of mass transit: bus, subway or rail. The disadvantage is that it can be confusing, especially if you don't speak japanese. For beginners, I recommend sticking primarily to the JR line. It hits most of the places you would be interested in and for the most part makes things easier. You could probably stick to the yamanote line (the big circle around central tokyo) and the chuo line (which goes through the middle of the yamanote line). Of course, you still have to take other trains to get to places like daikanyama and shimokitazawa, but if you plan out the route in advance it should be okay.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎