X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Acid, Bitter and Sad
    • Mar 2007

PH

Anyone knows who/where stocks Paul Harnden in Tokyo?

I only know that Barneys NY in Ginza stocks them, but that was from a few years ago, haven't been back to that store in my previous few visits.

Comment

• SuperTurboTaco
      • Oct 2009

ABS,you might want to try Ripe Ark.
      http://www.arknets.co.jp/feature/R2010SS/index.html

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
        • Mar 2007

PH Japan stockists

Thanks ...I know about RipeArk. Visited them before.
        Just wanted to know if there are others...

Comment

• Avantster
          ¤¤¤
          • Sep 2006

Blason de Terre does but it's for women.
          let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• stadsvandringar
            • Aug 2008

Barneys in shinjuku also has harnden, although I'm not sure if the selection is different from ginza.

Comment

• crouka
              • Jul 2007

10corsocomo

journal standard (not all of them and they might not have mens stuff any more)

test

Comment

• jumpoff
                • Jan 2008

What happened to Lift Position?

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                  • Mar 2007

Mindtrive Tokyo

Mindtrive recently opened their Tokyo store...inside Omotesando Hills.

Carrying Julius, MA Julius, KKA, Attachment, Jun Hashimoto, The Viridi-anne, N4...from what i remember.

...and btw Lift Position is no more. All labels that were carried in Lift Position have gone to Lift écru, except Silent, which is now at Lift étage.

Comment

• nictan
                    • Jul 2009

man i miss tokyo

Comment

• V/A
                      • Dec 2009

Resurrecting this thread again - I'm off to Tokyo & Kyoto in early January. Has anyone heard of any updates to store locations / exhibitions that will be on around this time? (Besides the Lift relocation)

V/A

Comment

• comedyzen
                        • May 2009

In Japan now.....looking forward to going to Midwest, Jun Hashimoto, Julius, Kind and Isetan. If I can find AL, will hit that too. Does Devoa have a flagship here? Also, looking for a solid sushi spot.....to my surprise, a lot of the sushi joints are not as good as LA's. I know Im going to the wrong place. Going to hit Sushi Dai at the fish market, unless someone here tells me it stinks.

Comment

• jumpoff
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                          In Japan now.....looking forward to going to Midwest, Jun Hashimoto, Julius, Kind and Isetan. If I can find AL, will hit that too. Does Devoa have a flagship here? Also, looking for a solid sushi spot.....to my surprise, a lot of the sushi joints are not as good as LA's. I know Im going to the wrong place. Going to hit Sushi Dai at the fish market, unless someone here tells me it stinks.
                          For food you should check out the chowhound board.

Devoa don't have a flagship as far as I know.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                            • Dec 2006

for sushi, relatives tell me Sushi Dai's not bad, perhaps on par with some in LA but there are far better ones in Tokyo. Dai has a long wait. in LA i feel tops is Mori, then Sushi Zo/Kiriko/Sushi Sushi, all a step higher than Matsuhisa/Sasabune and the like. top sushi exists in Tokyo, but it really depends how much you want to spend...here's some of the top reviewed ones in Tokyo that should eclipse all those in LA:

Sushiso Masa
                            Sushi Mizutani
                            Sushi Kanesaka
                            Sushi Saito
                            Sawada (tops..the XXX of sushi, w/ XXX-like pricing)
                            also Kyubey, which is perhaps a little lower, but at a more accessible (US-like) price-point (they're famous for inventing gunkan-maki - the way that uni & ikura are normally presented)

these all cost $$ though, particularly Sawada, but nothing more than what top sushi/kaiseki costs in the US.

all of these are a bit more than the majority of the better ones in LA, but my brother said his meal at Kyubey was on par with Sushi Yasuda in NYC, which is about the best that LA has to offer (Mori). Also, Kyubey may be a slight step lower than the aforementioned, but it's also more US-like in terms of pricing. though, i haven't been to Urasawa, which is probably the most expensive Japanese restaurant in the US (and more than most in Tokyo) save Masa in NYC, but according to people's reviews, while Urasawa's kaiseki meal is sublime, the sushi is said to be on par, perhaps slightly behind Mori. Sukiyabashi Jiro famous, but is notoriously unfriendly to foreigners. Kanesaka speaks some English. Saito used to have a relatively low-priced set lunch, but the price's gone up i hear. i wish i was in Tokyo right now...season for matsutake, ankimo, and buri belly.

anyway, i don't think Devoa has a flagship.

unrelated, but there's two stores in Osaka that i don't think have been mentioned much: Ayin and Cavane. the store interiors look amazing...lineup more along the lines of Aski Kataski, Golem, Suzuki Takayuki, mixed with some LUC and BBS.
                            Last edited by kompressorkev; 11-05-2010, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by comedyzen View Post
                              I personally dislike Sushi Dai, and yet I can't seem to avoid going there every time I'm around the fish market. It is the only thing in Tokyo that has a clear sight line to it, I suppose. Consider trying restaurants that specialize in one thing: soba, tempura or eel. Honestly, you don't need to spend $300-$500 to eat at one of the "fancy" sushi places. I've had better at mom and pop dives (or at least it *felt* better not to spend so much.) Unfortunately, I cannot tell you the names of my favorites because they don't have translated names. I used business cards given to me by others who'd been in the past.

Lowery -- excellent-est thread. I have never needed something so urgently as a Tokyo store map, especially now that I have to pass through more often now to see my aged/aging grandparents.

Oh, and street addresses, btw, are totally useless. Get someone to write down the names of the stores in Japanese. Then point. Everyone is more than happy to help.

and Faust: if I'm not mistaken, reversing the two kanjii that make up Tokyo (translated "capital of the east") changes the name to read 'Kyoto.' Makes sense, no?
                              "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                              It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                              My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• Slangking
                                • Nov 2010

Found a nice sushi place called Tsukiji Sushiko in Ginza when I was in Tokyo for my honeymoon in July. It was reasonably priced and had a good atmosphere.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎