• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: BEER (the wonderful world of)

hmm, I'll be on the lookout for that imperial stout!</P>

My brother does (in the closet of his Williamsburg bedroom no less hahaha) and the products have been pretty nice!</P>

The last one I tried was a really light and bright tasting one with honey and lemon. He's done a pumpkin ale as well... not sure what he's cooking up now but I think he was going to try something crazy. He was tossing around the idea of using indian spices... possibly even some curry blend or something.</P>

I know he also did one using apple....</P>
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

My faves are the trappist beers:</p>

Westmalle Dubbel</p>

Chimay Grand Reserve</p>

Rochefort 6 (the 8and 10 are too bitter for my taste) </p>

Hoegaarden (good wheat beer, great in summer)</p>

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (English, really awesome)</p>

The one Belgian ale I don't get is Duvel - I don't think it tastes good, but it's one of the most popular ones. Weird.</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• qnc.hst
        • Oct 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

[/quote]</p>

Oh man, I haven't had this in a while... I agree that this is really an excellent stout.</p>

I also have to mention how much I like pairing spicy curry dishes with Anchor Steam. GOD I WANT AWAY FROM MY DESK RIGHT NOW.</p>
        I think they're easily the number one punk item.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

My faves are the trappist beers:</p>

Westmalle Dubbel</p>

Chimay Grand Reserve</p>

Rochefort 6 (the 8and 10 are too bitter for my taste) </p>

Hoegaarden (good wheat beer, great in summer)</p>

The one Belgian ale I don't get is Duvel - I don't think it tastes good, but it's one of the most popular ones. Weird.</p>

[/quote]</p>

yeah, of course. its one of my favs. i never crave the taste, just the fast sublime drunk it gives...</p>
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

please feel free to write drunken rambles here at 4 am. no one will judge you, and you dont have to redact anything. you are shitfaced and in a safe place, i like that:</p>

shitfaced, and in a safe place. this is perhaps better:</p>

shitfaced in safe place. </p>

[/quote]</p>

this is the thread i've been waiting for. [87][86]</p>
            ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Meh. Belgian beer is the best beer in the world. I'm going to Antwerp. Case closed. PM sent. Game over.
              [/quote]</p>

And all the best clothing comes from Milan. . . hmmm, I don't agree with you here. First pass on the topic.
              </p>

My favorites are from all sorts of unexpected places.</p>

Braserrie Lebbe - L'amalthee (France): My all-time favorite beer. Everything nice about beer is better in this beer, everything that would make you think twice is absent. It's a French farmhouse ale, not especially sour, very heady, on lees so don't pour the yeast out. This is a strange one because nothing stands out, it's just the perfect typical beer. Bit tricky to find (600 bottles produced a month), but not too spendy.
              </p>

Dogfish Head - Burton Baton (Delaware): A rich, sweet, and very bitter IPA. This is the oak aged version of Dogfish Head's 90 minute. The oak takes the bite off the bitterness and mellows the beer. Kind of like with chardonnay except the end result doesn't suck.
              </p>

Brouwerij Verhaeghe (Belgium) - Duchess de Bourgogne: Tastes like Balsamic vinegar beer, but awesome. This is a light, low alcohol, very sour beer that is just wonderful to drink.
              </p>

Stone Brewing - Imperial Russian Stout (California): Thick, sweet, black stout, nicely smoky. Gargoyle with Russian earflap hat on bottle helps. Small runs every spring, $5/750 is one of the better deals in beer.
              </p>

Cantillon - Classic Geuze: almost the epitome of a geuze (available in the US, afraid I've not been to Belgium much). Sour, complex, just what you'd expect from a blend of aged, unfruited lambics.</p>

Honorable mentions: Rodenbach Grand Cru, Fantome Saison, Lost Abbey Judgement Day (skip devotion, kill for Angel's share), Unibrouie (spelling) Terrible (these guys make the aforementioned don de dieu),
              </p>

Sitting in cellar, waiting to try: Russian River Beatification, I got one! FUCK YES!
              </p>

<a href="http://www.specialtybeer.com/brewery,index,verhaeghe.html" title="Check out this brewery: Brouwerij Verhaeghe">

</a></p>
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Real Real
                • Feb 2007

Philly is great for beer - tons of great breweries nearby (Yards/PBC, Victory, Sly Fox, Troegs, etc), and virtually every bar has at least a few beers on tap that were brewed within a 30 mile radius.

Blue Moon's ok, but there are better choices - Hoegarden is good, but try to look for a wheat beer from Schneider or one of the other German breweries. I think they're better than the Belgians at that style. Schneider did a collaboration with Brooklyn brewery called Schneider Brooklynweisse...terrific beer.

I'm flying to Munich tomorrow, and it's going to be a very beery weekend. France is pretty shit as far as beer goes. I found a pretty good beer bar (a French bar for fans of the All Blacks) near the Palais Royal, but it's a lot of Kronenburg/Heineken, otherwise. Probably why I'm drinking bordeaux (Leoville Barton) right now.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="theetruscan"]

[quote user="Faust"]Meh. Belgian beer is the best beer in the world. I'm going to Antwerp. Case closed. PM sent. Game over.
                  [/quote]</p>

And all the best clothing comes from Milan. . . hmmm, I don't agree with you here. First pass on the topic.
                  </p>

My favorites are from all sorts of unexpected places.</p>

Braserrie Lebbe - L'amalthee (France): My all-time favorite beer. Everything nice about beer is better in this beer, everything that would make you think twice is absent. It's a French farmhouse ale, not especially sour, very heady, on lees so don't pour the yeast out. This is a strange one because nothing stands out, it's just the perfect typical beer. Bit tricky to find (600 bottles produced a month), but not too spendy.
                  </p>

Dogfish Head - Burton Baton (Delaware): A rich, sweet, and very bitter IPA. This is the oak aged version of Dogfish Head's 90 minute. The oak takes the bite off the bitterness and mellows the beer. Kind of like with chardonnay except the end result doesn't suck.
                  </p>

Brouwerij Verhaeghe (Belgium) - Duchess de Bourgogne: Tastes like Balsamic vinegar beer, but awesome. This is a light, low alcohol, very sour beer that is just wonderful to drink.
                  </p>

Stone Brewing - Imperial Russian Stout (California): Thick, sweet, black stout, nicely smoky. Gargoyle with Russian earflap hat on bottle helps. Small runs every spring, $5/750 is one of the better deals in beer.
                  </p>

Cantillon - Classic Geuze: almost the epitome of a geuze (available in the US, afraid I've not been to Belgium much). Sour, complex, just what you'd expect from a blend of aged, unfruited lambics.</p>

Honorable mentions: Rodenbach Grand Cru, Fantome Saison, Lost Abbey Judgement Day (skip devotion, kill for Angel's share), Unibrouie (spelling) Terrible (these guys make the aforementioned don de dieu),
                  </p>

Sitting in cellar, waiting to try: Russian River Beatification, I got one! FUCK YES!
                  </p>

<a href="http://www.specialtybeer.com/brewery,index,verhaeghe.html" mce_href="http://www.specialtybeer.com/brewery,index,verhaeghe.html" title="Check out this brewery: Brouwerij Verhaeghe">

</a></p>

[/quote]</p>

I didn't say all best beer comes from Belgium :-). But, if someone told me pick a best beer country overall, I'd point there. I mean, I did mention Samuel Smith [83]
                  </p>
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

Olde E 40oz - skip the drunk go straight for the vomit.
                    </p>

</p>

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

what? Mad dog 20/20?
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• theetruscan
                        • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

I didn't say all best beer comes from Belgium :-). But, if someone told me pick a best beer country overall, I'd point there. I mean, I did mention Samuel Smith [83]
                        </p>

[/quote]</p>

Damn my poor reading comprehension. As an aside, I've never liked Samuel Smith beers much.</p>
                        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Real Real
                          • Feb 2007

If you take variety into account, I think the best beer country is the US. US brewers make world class beers in every category. Belgium makes amazing beers (and the best Tripels, Quadruppels, etc), but there are times when you don't want to drink 8% beer and want a stout, a pilsner, etc, instead.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Real Real"]If you take variety into account, I think the best beer country is the US. US brewers make world class beers in every category. Belgium makes amazing beers (and the best Tripels, Quadruppels, etc), but there are times when you don't want to drink 8% beer and want a stout, a pilsner, etc, instead.[/quote]</p>

The one problem with the US, and this is why beer here will never compare to real beer, is that the FDA requires killing of all organic fermenting agents. This is why even Belgian beer doesn't taste nearly as good in the US as it does in Belgium. Crap, even Heineken tastes infinitely better in Amsterdam (and not because you smoke two joints before you drink it).</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Real Real"]If you take variety into account, I think the best beer country is the US. US brewers make world class beers in every category. Belgium makes amazing beers (and the best Tripels, Quadruppels, etc), but there are times when you don't want to drink 8% beer and want a stout, a pilsner, etc, instead.[/quote]</p>

The one problem with the US, and this is why beer here will never compare to real beer, is that the FDA requires killing of all organic fermenting agents. This is why even Belgian beer doesn't taste nearly as good in the US as it does in Belgium. Crap, even Heineken tastes infinitely better in Amsterdam (and not because you smoke two joints before you drink it).</p>

[/quote]</p>

i've actually always wondered why this is [B]</p>

Comment

• Real Real
                                • Feb 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

The one problem with the US, and this is why beer here will never compare to real beer, is that the FDA requires killing of all organic fermenting agents. This is why even Belgian beer doesn't taste nearly as good in the US as it does in Belgium. Crap, even Heineken tastes infinitely better in Amsterdam (and not because you smoke two joints before you drink it).</p>[/quote]

Are you thinking of the FDA's regulations on cheese or something like that? I have friends who are professional brewers - there are not significant legislative issues restricting the way Americans can brew beer.

Also, you may need to drink a wider variety of US microbrews...there's certainly a huge, huge amount of "real beer" in the US once you look past Budweiser, etc. Stone, Rogue, Brooklyn Brewery, Flying Fish, Founders, Sly Fox, Victory, etc....

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎