Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Thanks for all the recommendations, I had a wonderful time.

For what it's worth, Aardmonnik (Earthmonk) from Struise brewers was the best beer I tasted on the trip and one of the best I have ever tasted.

Westleveren 12 is good when newish, but becomes much better with age (tried 2007, 2004, 1998, 1994). I still don't think it's that special at all. It's just the impossibility of getting it that makes it the "world's best beer."

Chimay Blue is still mediocre after 15 and 25 years of aging.

Lindeman's Geuze ages better than Cantillon Lou Pepe.

Damn I drank a lot of beer. The list just goes on and on and on.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Chimay Blue in Belgium, mediocre? That's a bold statement.

Tried this today for the first time. Outstanding.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Chimay Blue in Belgium, mediocre? That's a bold statement.
        I don't make it lightly. I spent days doing a thorough "comparative evaluation" at Bierhaus Kulminator, followed by a tour of the great breweries and beer bars in Brussels.

I found lots of lovely new options, and drank plenty of great beer. Chimay Blue did not come close to the competition.

Some beers that stood out:

De Struisse Aardmonnik - brown ale (or as Michael Jackson says, Flemish Red). Fantastic balance of sweet and sour. simply gets better and better with every sip. The best beer I've ever tasted.

De Dolle special Oerbier Reserva - I like it less than the normal oerbier

Duysters Tuverbol - lovely mild aged sour. Nothing too pronounced or excessive, just really well balanced and enjoyable.

Rodenbach Vin de Cereal - drink it.

1999 Liefman's oud bruin - way better than when young. Very enjoyable.

Man ... I can't believe how much beer I drank that trip. I've notes on something like 50 beers from five days. The vast majority of them were at least very good. No wonder I shelved my slimmer garments for a while after that trip.
        Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• gone
          • Oct 2009

I have recently begun to brew my own beer. In january I made an american style "amber ale" with quite a lot of cascade hops that I think became very good, and still improving on the bottles, getting more balanced. This was made in my parents kitchen from malt extracs, crystal malt and hop pellets. This has a nice malty fullness, but it's still dry and with the characteristic aromas of cascade hops.

In april I made a german style dunkelweizen together with a friend. This was made with malted barley, wheat and a little bit of german hops. The result is nice, but I think it will improve with maturing.

Comment

• H-R
            • May 2007

Had the opportunity to try Samichlaus from Brauerei Shcloss Eggenberg and Lost Abbey Ad Lib yesterday.
            Samichlaus - Syrupy, sugary, but not in an offensive way. Very smooth finish. Really enjoyed it.
            Ad Lib - Apparently a blend of three different beers, that's what the bartender told us. Strong hints of bourbon aroma. Bourbon-like taste as well. Very drinkable and enjoyable.

Comment

• H-R
              • May 2007

Had De Dolle Oerbier (finally) and Verhaeghe Kriekenbier last Saturday.
              De Dolle Oerbier - tasted very rich, with hints of sour. Very, very lovely.
              Kriekenbier - It's a kriek, but it has this medicine-like taste towards the middle of the profile that's bordering on unpleasant. Kinda meh to me.
              I've also been digging Ommegang Brewery from Cooperstown, NY lately. Their take on Belgian beers is pretty enjoyable.

Btw, theetruscan, seems that we have a pretty similar taste in beer...

Comment

• Carcass
                • May 2010

With the exception of Faust's big ole Belhaven photo, this thread has become very difficult to read while drunk. I propose a binary beer rating system.

Last edited by Carcass; 07-20-2011, 11:28 PM. Reason: needed more beer

Comment

• Emel
                  • Oct 2010

Did anybody mention Augustiner beer from Münich yet?

Their Helles might be the best beer I've ever had.
                  It's the suede/denim secret police; they've come to your house for your long haired niece

Comment

• BeauIXI
                    • Nov 2008

Had some Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus this weekend, shit is phenomenal, but that comes as no surprise. The most refreshing beer I've had in a while.

Been quite partial to a bottle or two of Moneuse lately as well. My BCL stocks it in secret.

Also had some Abt. 12 from St. Bernardus last night. Really solid beer.

After which I got really drunk, as I had started the night with some Brooklyn Chocolate Stout, which is always a good idea if you plan on remaining seated the rest of the night.

Originally posted by philip nod
                    somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                      • Dec 2006

sampled way too many beers for the s/s 11 season, went from a 48 to a 50 ...often paired with a killer burger topped with roasted bone marrow, hence the fatness. started running 10 miles a week and lost 14 pounds, back to a 48 . some faves from summer:

Baird mikan carpenter’s ale
                      Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye American IPA
                      De struise tsjeeses Belgian x-mas ale
                      De struise pannepot grand reserve
                      Dieu du ciel Aphrodite
                      Dieu du ciel peche mortel
                      Fantome saison
                      Great Divide Oak Barrel Aged Yeti Imperial Stout
                      Hair of the Dog Adam old ale
                      Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza
                      Lost Abbey Angel's Share
                      Mikkeler Rauch Geek Breakfast Coffee Oatmeal Stout
                      Russian River Damnation 23
                      Schneider Aventinus eisbock
                      Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
                      Trappist Rochefort 8

Comment

• H-R
                        • May 2007

De Struise can't almost do no wrong in my eyes, every one of their beers that I've tried has been great.

Comment

• BeauIXI
                          • Nov 2008

^No kidding, I didn't know this was possible...

39%??
                          Originally posted by philip nod
                          somebody should kop this. this is forever.

Comment

• Carcass
                            • May 2010

so fashionabeer

Comment

• Carcass
                              • May 2010

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Intense burnt coffee, vanilla fudge and bourbon. Feels like it could lube up a ten-speed. Definitely for sipping and/or as a meal replacement.

Comment

• zamacdonell
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Carcass View Post
                                Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Intense burnt coffee, vanilla fudge and bourbon. Feels like it could lube up a ten-speed. Definitely for sipping and/or as a meal replacement.
                                Been trying to get a hold of one of those for a while. Im a big fan of Goose Island and visited their Brewpub in Wrigleyville when I visited Chicago a couple years ago. A recent favorite by them was Sofie, a really nice Belgian-Style Saison.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎