• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: BEER (the wonderful world of)

yes, similar to what they do to cheese. i've head my share of US micro-breweries, and I am not knocking them, just saying that they while they are good, they are not as good.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

[quote user="Faust"]yes, similar to what they do to cheese. i've head my share of US micro-breweries, and I am not knocking them, just saying that they while they are good, they are not as good.
      [/quote]</p>

Are you sure about this, and if so what is it exactly? I'm familiar with the cheese regulations, and have been known to smuggle the (not-so-)occasional wheel of cheese in, but those are very specific regulations that came about in a retarded manner in the 80s. I know american brewed beer and imported beer is available from all kinds of wild yeast and other brewing methods, there are sour beer brewers doing things in the open fermentation style familiar to lambic fans (russian river brewing) and there's no pasteurization or other requirement I've ever heard of. </p>

Not arguing, just a bit lost.
      </p>
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Real Real
        • Feb 2007

[quote user="Faust"]yes, similar to what they do to cheese. i've head my share of US micro-breweries, and I am not knocking them, just saying that they while they are good, they are not as good.
        [/quote]

Like you said, you prefer Trappist style beers, and for someone who wants to drink Trappist-style beers (ie Chimey, Westvleteren, whatever), I agree with you, US breweries are not as good. US breweries are are stronger at all of the other types of beers.

[quote user="theetruscan"]

[/quote]</p>

Are you sure about this, and if so what is it exactly? I'm familiar with the cheese regulations, and have been known to smuggle the (not-so-)occasional wheel of cheese in, but those are very specific regulations that came about in a retarded manner in the 80s. I know american brewed beer and imported beer is available from all kinds of wild yeast and other brewing methods, there are sour beer brewers doing things in the open fermentation style familiar to lambic fans (russian river brewing) and there's no pasteurization or other requirement I've ever heard of. </p>

</p>[/quote]

There are restrictions on cheese. There are not restrictions on beer.

Comment

• DHC
          • Jul 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

My faves are the trappist beers:</p>

Westmalle Dubbel</p>

Chimay Grand Reserve</p>

Rochefort 6 (the 8and 10 are too bitter for my taste) </p>

Hoegaarden (good wheat beer, great in summer)</p>

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout (English, really awesome)</p>

The one Belgian ale I don't get is Duvel - I don't think it tastes good, but it's one of the most popular ones. Weird.</p>

[/quote]</p>

Solid! Not particularly a fan of Sam Smith either (I guess because the Nut Brown Ale was my introduction) but Oatmeal Stout is the best they've got IMO. Second Duvel being a passer. </p>

</p>
          Originally posted by Faust
          fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• DHC
            • Jul 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

oh man... the nasty lines. Seriously!!</p>

Two of the best beer joints that I've been to/go to in Boston are</p>

Anam Cara (apparently one of the northeast's beer meccas) and Sunset Grill.</p>

Anam Cara is seriously hardcore about the beer. The right glass with the type of beer... one million types... crazy.</p>

One of the really lovely beers I used to have there was Delirium Tremens (and Nocturne I believe was the name of the other one). Complex as all hell. Sip and think.</p>

For those that want to try something that'll put hair (or more hair) on your chest:</p>

Sam Adams Triple Bock.</p>

tastes like horrific soy sauce. Makes you want to die. Hilarity ensues.</p>

May be hard to find these days outside of serious beer joints since it was a special issue from years ago.</p>
            <p mce_keep="true"></p>

David, I'm gonna have me some Chimay tomorrow!</p>

[/quote]</p>

Sweet! Blue label, wide mouth glass and enjoy. I favor the blue and a proper glass is a must!</p>

Sartorialoft

Comment

• DHC
              • Jul 2007

[quote user="philip nod"][quote user="Faust"]

The one problem with the US,
              and this is why beer here will never compare to real beer, is that the
              FDA requires killing of all organic fermenting agents. This is why
              even Belgian beer doesn't taste nearly as good in the US as it does in
              Belgium. Crap, even Heineken tastes infinitely better in Amsterdam
              (and not because you smoke two joints before you drink it).</p>

[/quote]</p>

i've actually always wondered why this is [B]</p>

[/quote]</p>

Me too. I always thought it was due to poor transport methods. Thanks Faust! Always good to be enlighted!</p>

theetruscan: "Braserrie Lebbe - L'amalthee (France): My all-time favorite beer.
              Everything nice about beer is better in this beer, everything that
              would make you think twice is absent. It's a French farmhouse ale, not
              especially sour, very heady, on lees so don't pour the yeast out. This
              is a strange one because nothing stands out, it's just the perfect
              typical beer. Bit tricky to find (600 bottles produced a month), but
              not too spendy." </p>

haven't tried this. now I must. Thanks!</p>

</p>

EDIT: Great idea, great thread Pnod!! [Y][Y] A place to drunk post without fear of repercussions. Bloody brilliant!!
              </p>

Sartorialoft

Comment

• sam_tem
                • Apr 2007

lonestar is all i've ever needed

Comment

• kira
                  • Mar 2008

This is from my home town and it can stand on its own, maybe not the best beer that you will ever have in your life, but some is really tasty.</p>

I really enjoyed their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and The Christmas Ale is nice too.</p>

And they are trying to be environmentally conscious.</p>

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/media/files/1.16.05%20PD%20Story%20(full).pdf</p>

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/media/files/GLBCsAlternativeFuelDeliveryTruck_web_.pdf</p>
                  Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

i'm surprised nobody's brought up the big three. sopporo, kirin, asahi.
                    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]i'm surprised nobody's brought up the big three. sopporo, kirin, asahi.
                      [/quote]</P>

You know the thing about these guys (and ichiban, tsingtao too even though the latter is Chinese) is that I don't see many people drink them outside of asian restaurants. Neither I or any of the asians I know actually seek these out for home consumption... instead favoring something else.</P>

They're delicious fo sho, but I can't kick it at home with a kirin the way I can with some Sam Summer Ale (damn I wish Mr. Koch would bring back the ginger honey ale :( )</P>

I'll save the Kirin for the pitchers of it at Kenka's on St. Marks hehehehe</P>
                      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="theetruscan"]

[/quote]</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

hmm, maybe you are right about the US producers, I am not sure - but for foreign beers that is the case, they have to kill the yeast, at least that's what I was told by a store owner in Belgium, who is also an importer.
                        </p>
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

[quote user="philip nod"]i'm surprised nobody's brought up the big three. sopporo, kirin, asahi.
                          [/quote]</p>

You know the thing about these guys (and ichiban, tsingtao too even though the latter is Chinese) is that I don't see many people drink them outside of asian restaurants. Neither I or any of the asians I know actually seek these out for home consumption... instead favoring something else.</p>

They're delicious fo sho, but I can't kick it at home with a kirin the way I can with some Sam Summer Ale (damn I wish Mr. Koch would bring back the ginger honey ale :( )</p>

I'll save the Kirin for the pitchers of it at Kenka's on St. Marks hehehehe</p>

[/quote]</p>

Of all the big Asian beers I like Singha best.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Nice! Thai!</P>
                            <P mce_keep="true"></P>
                            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

A few I've been drinking lately;</p>

Fat tire</p>

Hoegaarden </p>

Arrogant Bastard</p>

I also had a really nice IPA while in Brooklyn but I forgot the name, it was a local brewery though. My friend at work has also been brewing his own lately and it is quite good; I have a tall bottle in the fridge right now just waiting to be opened.</p>

Oh and I'll always drink a coors light. Gotta keep it real. </p>
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

[quote user="Casius"]

A few I've been drinking lately;</p>

Fat tire</p>

Hoegaarden </p>

Arrogant Bastard</p>

[/quote]</p>

cool that these are enjoyed outside of colorado.</p>

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎