X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkweek
    • Apr 2008

Travel

Where are your favorite places to go traveling? hotels to stay at? things to do while you're there? places to eat? etc, etc.<div>
    </div><div>Still being in high school I haven't done much traveling aside from family trips to places like Florida, Cuba, and Mexico. I've got the chance now to pick somewhere to go on vacation and I'd love to go somewhere with great landscape and architecture as well as shopping and food. Does anyone have any recommendations?</div>
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Re: Travel

I'd make sure to concentrate more on the landscape, architecture, food and people. Clothes can always be shipped.
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• iSuck
      • Mar 2008

[quote user="sharkweek"]I've got the chance now to pick somewhere to go on vacation and I'd love to go somewhere with great landscape and architecture as well as shopping and food. Does anyone have any recommendations?[/quote]</P>

Florence</P>

Comment

• justine
        • Jan 2007

Catalonia is great.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
          • Jan 2008

^yes, Catalonia is a great suggestion. Depending on how much time you
          have, I would also highly recommend to take the trip from Barcelona
          through the Aragon region down to Navarra, Basque, La Rioja and
          Cantabria(Pamplona, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Santander etc.)

I spend 2 month traveling in these parts of spain, and it was absolutely fantastic.</p>

[51]
          </p>
          Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
          Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

<P mce_keep="true"></P>

uhhh I wrote 3 paragraphs yesterday and got the Oops after hitting post [:(]</P>

I have to admit I really love many ofthe typicallylikedcapitals.. Paris, London, New York, LA, Tokyo, Berlin. I guess they're popular for a reason, but theyall have their own unique atmosphere which is pretty unbeatable. when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in ParisI spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death.I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.</P>

out of those cities, Paris is the one I really miss when I'm not there. the others I really like to go to, but Paris is different. New York is obviously great and I miss it too. and well, Berlin I also find myself going back to quite often. I was in Tokyo for the first time since I was toddler and really loved it, it was very different from what I expected, much more homey or comfortable. it doesn't feel like that big of a city, unless you're in the middle of Shibuya.</P>
            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Diego
              • Aug 2007

[quote user="mike lowrey"]<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in Paris I spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death. I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.
              </p>

[/quote]</p>

Amen Mike. </p>

Comment

• justine
                • Jan 2007

[quote user="mike lowrey"]when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in ParisI spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death.I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.[/quote]</p>

True. Very True.
                </p>

The Louvre is great though. But unless you really need to check one particular work in the flesh for some reason, I'd avoid museums too. </p>

And if you really need to go, go at odd hours. There's nothing worse than being in a museum where you see tourists in shorts and backpack being in front of what you are trying to view, running from one painting to the next to basically just check the name of the painter.
                Having said that, in Catalonia, I'll probably still check the Dali Museum, and the Miro Fundacion!</p>

</p>

Oh, and the suggestion about Japan is definitely a GREAT one.
                </p>

Comment

• sharkweek
                  • Apr 2008

[quote user="Diego"][quote user="mike lowrey"]<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in Paris I spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death. I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.
                  </p>

[/quote]</p>

Amen Mike. </p>[/quote]<div>
                  </div><div>I participated in a two week long school trip to Europe. 80+ people traveled as a group all over Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and France and not being able to decide for myself what I was going to do nearly gave me a heart attack. The best parts of the whole trip really were sitting down in public places with a friend or two and conversing with locals--language permitting of course. And I agree with the statement you made about places like NYC and Paris. I loved both of these cities--NYC especially because you can literally find anything you could ever possibly want, but not in the way that when you go to a Moroccan restaurant they have caesar salad and chicken strips and bullshit like that on the menu to appeal to whoever walks in the door. It seems that no identity or vision is lost in cities like that; you always seem to get the full intended effect, and I like that.</div><div>
                  </div><div>My favorite suggestion so far is Florence--I love traditional Italian food and Italy is really beautiful</div>

Comment

• matthewhk
                    • Jan 2007

my favorite travel memories involve these places:</P>

- Havana: The place where I met one of my first loves, cigars, i have enjoyed most of the caribbean/latin american destinations i've been to...Cuba itself is a bit surreal in its old world/new world contrasts. Probably someone living there wouldn't feel this way, but as an outsider looking in it seemed as close as one can get to a communist paradise. But that's ironically the result of capitalism more than anything else. One day I'd like to find a chica I can do that Colin Farrell/Gong Li 'Miami Vice' sequence with, speedboat, mojitosand dancing and all. </P>

- Tokyo: The only place I ever go for travel these days, even if just to shop and eat i find the city inspiring and the women are beautiful but i can't touch them because I don't understand a word they're saying and vice versa. Reminds me of "The Girl From Ipanema." Japan is the one place I've been to that when I'm there I literally feel like i'm on another planet. I imagine I'd go crazy if i hung around too long.</P>

- Capri: Was still young when I went here, but if I had a girlfriend I would like to go on a romantic getaway with her to this place...it feels very glamorous. European decadence and extravagance is a personal fascination of mine.</P>

- Santorini: Pretty much same reason as Capri, loved watching the sunset with a thousand other people at the same time.</P>

- Paris/New York: I don't think most people here would consider the latter "travel" but it is to me since I am not from the States. I lumped these two cities together because to this day even though I have been to many other places and seen many different things i am still intrigued and drawn in by the mystique and allure of these cities. I see the people who live there go about life effortlessly and I know they're places that I can never live in but I feel excited just being a part of the action. </P>

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Diego"][quote user="mike lowrey"]<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Amen Mike. </p>

[/quote]</p>

3rd. And, yes, I ALWAYS miss Paris. I was even tempted to take a two day trip there from Antwerp, but it's just not feasible. I feel like Tantalus. I am not crazy about London though.</p>
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• matthewhk
                        • Jan 2007

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Diego"][quote user="mike lowrey"]<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Amen Mike. </p>

[/quote]</p>

3rd. And, yes, I ALWAYS miss Paris. I was even tempted to take a two day trip there from Antwerp, but it's just not feasible. I feel like Tantalus. I am not crazy about London though.</p>

[/quote]</p>

2nd on London. Been there once wasn't crazy about it, everything is expensive. I think it's fine for those who live there, but i wouldn't put it on a list of "must go" places for travel. But of course, if one has never been it is worth going to just because.
                        </p>

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

dread london</p>

</p>

so faust ^^^^ has 8,888 posts, he must run this thing or something
                          </p>
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

hahaha, thanks for pointing out :-) what do i win?
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Divo
                              • Mar 2007

Even though I am a big fan of all the cosmopolitan cities the world has to offer, there are smaller gems to explore, like:</P>

- Krakow (Poland) --- spectacular medieval city which - miraculously - survived WW II without too much inflicted damage.... and of course a visit to Auschwitz which will grab you by the throat and will never let go of you;</P>

- Helsinki / Helsingfors(Finland) --- used to live in Finland forquite some time(Tampere, or Tammerfors for the Swedish among you) and always love(d) to pay a visit. It is not particularly beautiful, but the atmosphere is relaxed and you will find an eclectic mix of people,style, architecture, shops, restaurants and clubs</P>

- Brugge / Bruges(Belgium) ---not the first destination to come in mind, but combine it with a visit to Antwerp, Brussels and last but not least Bruges and step into a whole new world of medieval greatness;</P>

- Crete (Greek island) --- even though filled withhurdles of loud tourists, it's definitely my favorite place among the Greek islands. Ancient sites wherever you go, and amazing toexplore by scooter (which I have done with my GF and one of the best experiences I haveever had). People are uber-friendly and the food is great (don't eat near harbours, but visit small taverna's in little alleys of Rethymnon and Heraklion for great culinary experiences).</P>

Cheers and good luck with choosing a destination,</P>

Divo</P>
                              <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎