X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

So, I have 5 days (technically 4 if I exclude travel) between Florence and Paris mid-January. Where should I travel to? I have covered most of Europe. I am thinking Munich - never been. Is there anything else in the vicinity worth visiting besides the city itself?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Never really used a travel guide, but thinking I might for Tokyo. All I have seen on the Internet so far is kind of standard issue generic tourist crap. What are your opinions of the Monocle guides? What about the Superfuture ones?
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
        • Apr 2010

I like the Monocle Guides. Have about 7 of the Wallpaper* ones as well as the apps and enjoy them to get a general layout of different cities (mainly for architectural significance). I know it helps to have visual representation of where you want to go in Tokyo since it can be a total rats nest to get around.
        Originally posted by Shucks
        it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
        Originally posted by interest1
        I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• Tiranis
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Never really used a travel guide, but thinking I might for Tokyo. All I have seen on the Internet so far is kind of standard issue generic tourist crap. What are your opinions of the Monocle guides? What about the Superfuture ones?
          Superfuture is good for shopping, that's about it. I didn't use mine much. Not sure about the Monocle one. I find the angle of their whole enterprise off-putting though.

I do recommend watching the No Reservations and Parts Unknown (Anthony Bourdain) episodes about Tokyo. They cover a lot more than food.

My one general recommendation: don't just get stuck in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ginza. Walking around Tokyo is a great way to get to know it. Side streets and lesser known neighbourhoods have a lot of charm to them.

Also, not sure how much you care about food but for me, no trip to Tokyo is complete without some top-notch reservations. A lot of food experiences that you can't really get anywhere else. Beyond the general recommendation of top-tier Sushi, foods like Soba and Tempura can be found at an equally high level.

Out of the more low key places, one of my recommendations would be Fuku Yakitori by Yoyogi-Uehara station. It's not the best yakitori place but reasonably priced, in a cute area and quite possibly one of the friendliest places.

Decently good sushi is available at Yasuda's "new" shop in Tokyo, formerly of the famous Sushi Yasuda in New York. Doesn't rate very highly for me on the food scale but he speaks English fluently and is very eager to converse with his patrons.
          Last edited by Tiranis; 07-29-2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• jumpoff
            • Jan 2008

FWIW I flipped through the Monocle London guide and that one seemed decent enough, definitely more interesting than the other guide books I've seen. If the Tokyo guide is of similar qualiy, I'm sure it's worth the £10. There is always the Tokyo thread on here for shopping tips.

I haven't been to Tokyo in ages, and things might've changed, but I'd suggest getting some reservations for lunch and do ramen, izakayas, yakitori for dinner. I found the price difference between lunch and dinner at the more expensive restaurants to be bigger than similar places in Europe, and lunch is often surprisingly cheap. Sushi Saito is the obvious suggestion for sushi, but it might already be too late to get a reservation if you are going there soon.

Agree with Tiranis about not getting stuck in Shibuya, Shinjuku and (especially) Ginza. Nakameguro is very charming and accessible. Kichijoji and Jiyugaoka are two other personal favourites of mine. Jiyugaoka has Carrefour (not the French hypermarket) which carries some interesting brands. Devoa used to have a store in Kichijoji, but I have no idea if it's still there.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Tiranis View Post
              Superfuture is good for shopping, that's about it. I didn't use mine much. Not sure about the Monocle one. I find the angle of their whole enterprise off-putting though.
              Agreed in general, but I imagine for the sheer quality of life level their tourist guides might be good. At least I know there will not be Starbucks recommendations and such. SZ has me covered for clothes shopping - I am more interested in food, museums, galleries, book shops and ceramics.

Thanks for the tips.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

So, I am warming up to the idea of going on a beach vacation (SHOCK!). Where would you go in the Caribbean? The requirements are obvious - no ugly Americans, no families gorging themselves, no cruises, no frat boys, etc.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
                  eyes of the world
                  • Jun 2009

St. Martin French side or for a more quiet time St. Bart's.

Comment

• dji
                    • Feb 2008

^ of the places I've visited in the Caribbean (one of perks of living on the East Coast) I enjoyed my time on the French side of St Martin the most, very chilled out. very few Americans in general (mostly Europeans, a few Canadians), French food wasn't half bad either.

Comment

• rider
                      eyes of the world
                      • Jun 2009

speaking of travel.
                      we have plans for two trips and would love some input if anyone is familiar with either destination.
                      the first is in October to Bethlehem, NH to take in the cooler weather and some fall color. The Adair Inn.
                      the second is in January for the Cavallino Ferrari Car Show and some horse stuff too. We are staying at the Breakers and I doubt I will go to the car show so other than horses is there anything else that is a must? Food or Galleries?

Comment

• Arkady
                        • Apr 2011

Definitely take a drive / hikes through the White Mountains in New Hampshire -- it'll look absolutely stunning in the Fall. Most of the animals up there don't see people too often so chipmunks run up and eat out of your hand, etc. It's borderline whimsical.

Comment

• rider
                          eyes of the world
                          • Jun 2009

yes, thanks. we are staying in the heart of the white mountains for just the reasons youve listed. I've never been before and have heard how magical it is. I got a room with a deck in the tree tops, its seemed like a good idea.

i hope to see a moose or two.

Comment

• Arkady
                            • Apr 2011

You will, my uncle hit one with his truck the second we moved there. Feasted for months.

Comment

• rider
                              eyes of the world
                              • Jun 2009

great. not quite the response I was going for...but at least I know the food is good.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Anyone from Atlanta here? Is there anything to check out while there?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎