Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Travel

Default Re: Travel

[quote user="Divo"]

Even though I am a big fan of all the cosmopolitan cities the world has to offer, there are smaller gems to explore, like:</P>

- Krakow (Poland) --- spectacular medieval city which - miraculously - survived WW II without too much inflicted damage.... and of course a visit to Auschwitz which will grab you by the throat and will never let go of you;</P>

- Helsinki / Helsingfors(Finland) --- used to live in Finland forquite some time(Tampere, or Tammerfors for the Swedish among you) and always love(d) to pay a visit. It is not particularly beautiful, but the atmosphere is relaxed and you will find an eclectic mix of people,style, architecture, shops, restaurants and clubs</P>

- Brugge / Bruges(Belgium) ---not the first destination to come in mind, but combine it with a visit to Antwerp, Brussels and last but not least Bruges and step into a whole new world of medieval greatness;</P>

- Crete (Greek island) --- even though filled withhurdles of loud tourists, it's definitely my favorite place among the Greek islands. Ancient sites wherever you go, and amazing toexplore by scooter (which I have done with my GF and one of the best experiences I haveever had). People are uber-friendly and the food is great (don't eat near harbours, but visit small taverna's in little alleys of Rethymnon and Heraklion for great culinary experiences).</P>

Cheers and good luck with choosing a destination,</P>

Divo</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

[/quote]</P>

You really hit the right nerve with Krakow and Auschwitz, its a spine chilling place. Krakow itself has got an amazing monastery made out of wax which is deeply interesting.</P>

I would also say the Adriatic sea is an amazing place to visit, which is the Dalmatian part of Croatia, the sea side, and Montenegro, the city of Budva is a lovely lovely place.</P>
    <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Default Travel Help

If this thread doesn't belong here, sorry and please move it

So, I'm going to Paris in March for 5-6 days. It'll be my first time there, and I'm not sure what to do/where to go, so what does everyone recommend for hotels (moderate/cheap preferred), restaurants, shops (can't spend a ton, as I can't really afford this trip in the first place, but any and all thoughts please - really looking for things I won't see back in the US), must-sees/dos, etc? I'll also be coming from London, where I'll be for 3-4 days, and I've only been to London 1 or 2 times before years ago, so any recommendations for London as well are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You can find lists of shops here, but check out the superfuture maps for restaurants, hotels, museums, etc...

I can't really help you without knowing your budget since Paris is more or less like London when it comes to hotels. Though, you should definately check this website: http://www.0800paris-hotels.com/index_fr.asp?pub=G2hp

I cannot help for hotels because I live there but here is what I would recommand

Free (if under 25) : Louvres by night on friday (or wednesday but not free then)

Restaurants :

Cheap (10 / 20 euros) :

Sapporo restaurant - Rue St Anne (M : Pyramides) - Very nice japanese restaurant where you eat ramens and other cool meals

A bit expensive (50 / 70 euros) :

Le George - On top of Centre Pompidou museum (M : Rambuteau) - Typical lounge restaurant (you wont eat a lot) with a very nice sightseeing of all Paris

Musical Hall - Avenue F D Roosevelt (M : F D Roosevelt) - Same than Le George - sightseeing + funny lights on the walls - Try the "Foie de veau" if you eat meat

To have a drink:

Le George

Kong (M : Pont Neuf) but do not eat there

I am more into little rock bar but I just go to the place I like the most without them beeing really good unfortunately (that's why I do not mention them)

Other:

Angelina - Rue de Rivoli (M : Tuileries) Very nice hot chocolate + Chestnut dessert

should be great if someone helped me out here.

im going to paris tomorrow for some shopping. what i wonder is simply.. were to shop? which is the best stores etc?

things that im interested in is mostly ann demeulemeester, rick owens and viridi anne. also other brands but this is high priority. any suggestions on good stores with these? ann d is number 1. i guess i will go to rick flag ship store but then i dont know.. or where to find all. also give suggestions for other stores that carry good stuff.

should really appreciate help, thanks!

edit: maybe i posted in the wrong forum. though i was posting in shopping and personal style.

Yes, you indeed posted in the wrong forum if you don't know of the little store called L'eclaireur.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

it's fun in Paris, I love the shops

Quote Originally Posted by Vikeid View Post
    should be great if someone helped me out here.
    a search will get you a long way

http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/sho...ighlight=paris

http://scoute.org/issue/august/paris/
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

I'm planning a trip to japan this summer. My main concern is the language, are there a lot of communication problems if u only speak english (don't think german would be helpful :D)?

I am interested in doing a language course in japanese but can't find any schools for foreigners wanting to learn the language.

Anybody of u guys got this kind of info from trips to japan or does someone live there? Or does someone know a homepage that offers this kind of service?

thx for help!

people dont speak english as they would in most european countries for example, but particularly younger folk (those working at boutiques etc) understand a bit and even speak a few words. Japanese people are extremely friendly so its not a big deal, I've found people to be quite excited to try and talk a bit of english, and the rest can be handled through gestures etc.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Default Travel threak

Couldn't find a thread like this and I might prove useful as people on here tend to travel quite a lot. Obviously I'm not creating this out of charity, I need some help/recommendations. Me and my girlfriend are going to sardinia and corsica in late july/early august and are looking for some cheap accomodation. A good apartment for a good price would be nice or hostels of course, doubble rooms if possible. We're renting a car for the whole stay so getting around won't be a problem. Our current price range is up to about €30 per night and person, we might be willing to pay a little more for an apartment/cabin.
    Label me landlord, I keep k's in my hand

100 European hotels under $150 from NYT. Bookmarked this, looks like a must for reference.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Europeans, Easyjet or Ryanair? Or shoot myself instead? Going from Florence to London.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by wire.artist View Post
    both are trash, get the cheaper one, but be careful with ryanair, they sometime use airports in the middle of nothing
    Ryanair's frankfurt airport is over a fucking mountain range. Learned the hard way.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Wire, I am leaning towards easyjet just for that reason - at least they fly to gatwick. I don't even know what the fuck Stantsted is, but apparently it's a London airport. I feel like I can handle it, given the savings.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Anyone been to Tallinn? Need some restaurant, bar, club recs. Thanks.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Just got back from a great trip to Vienna.
    THE HOUSE OF DIS
    embrace the twenty first movement

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Anyone been to Tallinn? Need some restaurant, bar, club recs. Thanks.
    Went, and now can give recommendations. Food in Tallinn is amazing and cheap.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Default croatia and sarajevo

spending a week in the South Dalmatia by car - mostly Dubrovnik and Split. Also planning on driving to Sarajevo if it's recommendable.
    Any advice on restaurants, etc?
    Thanks