X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pregnantbob
    • May 2011

Originally posted by ienjoybiscuits View Post
    Hey guys, I'll be holidaying in Beijing in December and a couple of nights in Shanghai, could anyone recommend me any nice places to shop and things I should check out? Thanks!
    Depends on what you want to shop for, anything luxury (importer designer labels) attracts a hefty tariff that makes the purchase pointless if you have the means to get them elsewhere.

Look after your lungs in Beijing, the pollution there hasn't gotten any better, it's the only time where I don't care about looking like a knob for wearing a filter mask.

I presume you're doing the usual travel touristy stuff, but in Shanghai make sure you head to the Park Hyatt in PuDong, their bar, 100 century ave on the 92 floor is the tallest in China and has one of the most incredible views. Get there just before peak hour and watch the city come alive as the sun sets and the neon turns on, it's incredible. Their restaurant is also superb so drinks before sunset then a meal after would be a nice evening.

Comment

• ienjoybiscuits
      • Oct 2013

Originally posted by pregnantbob View Post
      Depends on what you want to shop for, anything luxury (importer designer labels) attracts a hefty tariff that makes the purchase pointless if you have the means to get them elsewhere.

Look after your lungs in Beijing, the pollution there hasn't gotten any better, it's the only time where I don't care about looking like a knob for wearing a filter mask.

I presume you're doing the usual travel touristy stuff, but in Shanghai make sure you head to the Park Hyatt in PuDong, their bar, 100 century ave on the 92 floor is the tallest in China and has one of the most incredible views. Get there just before peak hour and watch the city come alive as the sun sets and the neon turns on, it's incredible. Their restaurant is also superb so drinks before sunset then a meal after would be a nice evening.
      Wow thanks so much! Actually I was originally born in Beijing so I visit about once every two years with the rest of my family so I've already done most the the touristy stuff. I'm planning on paying Anchoret a visit in Beijing and I'll definitely take your advice on Shanghai, it sounds amazing.

Comment

• u-ti
        • Apr 2012

if u've got spare time, i recommend hanging around a bit in caochangdi, outskirts of beijing. nice little village with artists from in and out of china, keeping a very strong and local energy with an atmosphere i havent encountered elsewhere. but then again, this was a few years ago, i dont know exactly what its like now, maybe a bit more commercialized ...

Comment

• MaxM
          • Sep 2009

Beijing, id say Ink is worth a visit ?
          For Shanghai, id recommend the Waterhouse on the Cool Docks (south of the bund). Design-wise i dont think any other place in Shanghai comes close. It might be hard/expensive to get a room but u can go for food and drinks.
          (I posted a few pix of the place here : http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=99)

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Obviously, you should visit Eth0s in Shanghai.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ienjoybiscuits
              • Oct 2013

Thanks guys I've noted all the places mentioned. Should make for an exciting trip

Comment

• dji
                • Feb 2008

looking for recommendations for places to visit from DC that can be reached in 5 hours or less via any mode of transportation, want to make the most of the location as I am not sure how long we'll be living on this side of the world. so far we've visited LA, San Fran, NYC (twice), Orlando and New Orleans, and will be in Jamaica for the Thanksgiving long weekend. thinking of Miami and Vegas but any other suggestions would be great!

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Chicago, if you are into modernist architecture and outstanding food that's cheaper than NYC. And Gallery Aesthete is there.

Boston, if you are into charming brownstones and wasps.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dji
                    • Feb 2008

Chicago is on my to visit list. Definitely not until after winter though, it's fucking cold enough here!

Comment

• boodude
                      • Oct 2012

Tokyo

Fellas, passing by tokyo for a day on my way back from nepal. Any suggestions for quick shopping visit - i wanna check jp designers ( julius, kk, devoa etc) the catch is I am 6.2 feet tall and slim with sz 44 feet. So i need a place that carries these sizes. Help is much appreciated!

Comment

• OliverG
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by dji View Post
                        Chicago is on my to visit list. Definitely not until after winter though, it's fucking cold enough here!
                        Chicago in May or June, take in a Cubs game at beautiful Wrigley field before it all changes--big plans in the works for that whole neighborhood. Blues and jazz clubs, The Green Mill, pizza, and the beach... You can't go wrong in Chicago in the summertime. Keep to the North Side and downtown.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Have any of you been to Dubrovnik? Yes/no/maybe?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• fncyths
                            • Apr 2010

faust, go! it's absolutely breathtaking! went years ago with my family. btw - was there some feature on it recently? you're like the 3rd person this week that's brought up going in my media circles...
                            Originally posted by Shucks
                            it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
                            Originally posted by interest1
                            I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• MaxM
                              • Sep 2009

i'm going to kotor, montenegro this summer as i've heard its more beautiful than croatia and way less touristy. also cheaper.

Originally posted by Faust View Post

WTB : http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...ad.php?t=16112

Comment

• Verdandi
                                • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                It's beautiful there, but terribly overcrowded during the summer months. At least that's what friends who've been in the last couple of years told me. The last time I went in person was when I was sixteen and that's a long time ago.
                                lavender menace

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎