• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Shucks View Post
    we'll do it on the cheap next time. it can be done. no design stores.
    Well, the Verheyden would've been more expensive in the US regardless, so that's good, but next time - walking and eating sandwiches.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dji View Post
      visiting Chicago over the Labor Day long weekend and was hoping for recommendations on where to eat. so far on my list is:
      - The Slurping Turtle
      - Au Cheval (maybe for brunch?)
      - The Girl and the Goat

was considering Next but not sure if it (or any of the other higher end restaurants in Chicago) are worth the difficulty in acquiring a reservation. the missus is not a big fan of drawn out degustation menus as we've been disappointed more than a few times by well regarded restaurants in the States (Eleven in NYC was probably the biggest let down).

also got a weekend in Montreal coming up, booked Liverpool House for dinner but lunch/brunch opinions would be appreciated!
      Au Cheval for brunch for sure - go either early or late or you will stand an hour in line. I'd pick Longman and Eagle over Au Cheval though (but same story with waiting). Waiting is fine though, as they will take your cell and you can just stroll around the hood and get a coffee. I also don't care for food-as-art places - go to Blackbird instead maybe?

And of course you must go to Gallery Aesthete!
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DudleyGray
        • Jul 2013

Originally posted by dji View Post
        visiting Chicago over the Labor Day long weekend and was hoping for recommendations on where to eat. so far on my list is:
        - The Slurping Turtle
        - Au Cheval (maybe for brunch?)
        - The Girl and the Goat
        Haha, I've went to all three of these places on various trips. I'd recommend them all. I also have had good experiences at The Publican, Avec, and Smoque.
        bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• dji
          • Feb 2008

thanks guys, Blackbird and Avec look like winners. Longman and Eagle looks great too but it's a bit of a schlep from the magnificent mile for brunch.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

True. Also, we have a Chicago thread.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gp_
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              Copenhagen is fucking expensive. That is all.
              yeah, its ridiculous... (train especially).

iceland is wonderful; depending on how you see it, it can feel like a diff. planet (highly recommend renting a car and driving the country)

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

Hi ! I'm going to Beijing in about a month. I'll be with chinese people / people who know the city very well. But do you have any suggestions of must do / see things for a first time visitor ?
                Thanks !

Comment

• TheNotoriousT
                  • Oct 2009

I need some hotel recommendations for vienna. Nothing fancy or too expensive please.
                  Thanks.
                  "Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that"

Comment

• dream
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TheNotoriousT View Post
                    I need some hotel recommendations for vienna. Nothing fancy or too expensive please.
                    Thanks.
                    stayed here last year. it's just a train ride away from center of Vienna. nice rooms, bar and restaurant on the roof and good prices.

Das 25hours Hotel Wien beim MuseumsQuartier liegt mitten im 7. Bezirk von Wien. Jetzt ihr Hotel in Wien buchen!

Comment

• gregor
                      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by galia View Post
                      Hi ! I'm going to Beijing in about a month. I'll be with chinese people / people who know the city very well. But do you have any suggestions of must do / see things for a first time visitor ?
                      Thanks !

well, of course the eats are bar none. jin yaa tang is very good for peking duck, though of course some of the best food is in the no-name hutongs. also be sure to check around sanlitun in general, as the bar street is awesome and the shopping is very good, albeit expensive

Comment

• gregor
                        • Oct 2014

incidentally, i'm going to be stuck in doha for a few hours on my flight to colombo in a few weeks; never been outside the airport there, is it even worth it?

Comment

• galia
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by gregor View Post
                          well, of course the eats are bar none. jin yaa tang is very good for peking duck, though of course some of the best food is in the no-name hutongs. also be sure to check around sanlitun in general, as the bar street is awesome and the shopping is very good, albeit expensive
                          Way too late, but thanks anyway !
                          We were staying near Gulou Dong, which I quite liked, and ate in many delicious restaurants that I can't remember the name of now.

Comment

• gregor
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by galia View Post
                            Way too late, but thanks anyway !
                            We were staying near Gulou Dong, which I quite liked, and ate in many delicious restaurants that I can't remember the name of now.
                            didn't see the date

glad you had fun though, it's quite an incredible city

Comment

• arc
                              • Mar 2011

Going to Amsterdam for New Year Eve and then to Ghent, Antwerp. Any suggestion on must do/eat/see? Thanks.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by arc View Post
                                Going to Amsterdam for New Year Eve and then to Ghent, Antwerp. Any suggestion on must do/eat/see? Thanks.
                                ANTWERP. In general, search this site and you will find plenty of info.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎